Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Magura Brakes
  • shortyj15

I’m a little fed up of having M9000 XTR race brakes having a wandering bite point.

How good are the magura M8 Pro brakes?

Cheers

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve no idea, but if they have the typical Magura magnetic pistons that hold the pads in place, buy ’em just for that!

matt_outandabout

M8’s on my son’s bike.

Super powerful. Great modulation. I’ve not touched them in nearly a year since new, apart from accident damage (huge Alps crash and a bar Vs tree at at Perth). We bought a job lot of super cheap pads from Uberbike and some Clarks ones, both wearing well.

They are a touch more faff to set up the clearance to avoid ching-ching-ching…

I want a pair.

shortyj15

It says to use 2mm thick rotor only? Do I have to do this?

luke0912
    Free Member

I have run mt5’s and mt7’s with thinner rotors with no issues

jree
    Free Member

Mt5s here. Best brakes I’ve had. All my mates that have had a go on them have switched over to them too.

shortyj15

jamj1974 – exactly where I’m looking at them!

Looks like i’ll go the magura route as when I change from a shimano drivetrain to sram they’ll match nicely rather than mixmatch adaptors.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Which rotors you using?

Weedling
    Free Member

I run my MT5’s with Shimano levers and it works perfectly. I’ve heard it’s preferred because the magura levers are very plastic.

I too had the wondering bite point issue with shimano calipers, no issue once i swapped over.

You can google Shigura for info

shortyj15

Monkeysfeet – I’ll be using clarks rotors on my race wheels and a mixture of shimano / avid on my winter wheels.

onehundredthidiot

I’m running hope floating rotors with my mt7s. Thinners than the seam the replaced.

shortyj15

Do the magura levers flex at all?

joebristol

I’ve not tried them yet myself, but most comments say you want the 1 finger metal levers rather than the cheaper resin ones to avoid flex.

Depending on the power you need I’d be looking at mt5’s or mt7’s rather than mt8’s as you get a big chunky 4 pot caliper then.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Does anyone know if mt4s and mt7s have the same levers?

I have a set of each, and keen to try swapping them around to have double pots on the front of both bikes and single pots at the rear

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Levers are the same, calipers should be easy to switch

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Magura Brakes’ is closed to new replies.