Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Magura adapter compatibility (Sram and Shimano calipers)
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

Myself and one of my riding mates want to up our rotor sizes to 220mm (we are both 90kgs+ and are based in Madeira and the terrain is super-steep so we can never have enough brakes!).

I am riding with Codes RSC’s with 200mm/200mm and my friend is riding shimano 4-pots with 203/180.

Finding discs is pretty easy, but the adapters is more of an issue. I have found a Magura QM45 40mm PM-PM adapter on Bike Discount (see https://www.bike-discount.de/en/magura-qm-45-brake-disc-adapter).

Simple question… will a Magura adapter work with Sram and Shimano calipers? I think it will as the Magura calipers are pretty chunky so while it may be difficult to fit a Magura caliper on a Shimano adapter, it should work fine the other way around.

Anyone have experience of this?

cheers

militantmandy
    Free Member

Well, I can tell you I’ve used Shimano adaptors with Magura brakes. I think other than Hope, most adaptors seem to work with most brakes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe.

You can get 220/223/225mm rotors for just this reason.

The simplest answer would be to get a 225mm rotor and if it doesn’t line up the first time as some washers until it clears.

A better answer would be to work out what your current adapter and rotor are. If you currently have a +20 and 205 rotor then a +40 will need a 225 rotor. If it’s a +25 adapter and a 205 rotor then a +40 would line up with a 220mm.

bikesandboots

Simple question… will a Magura adapter work with Sram and Shimano calipers? I think it will as the Magura calipers are pretty chunky so while it may be difficult to fit a Magura caliper on a Shimano adapter, it should work fine the other way around.

Hayes Dominions A4s are some of the biggest calipers going, and don’t fit in many adapters apparently. I have word that they fit in Magura and Hope adapters, so I’d guess you’d have enough space for SRAM/Shimano in them.

b33k34

It very much depends on the shape of the calliper. Hope road calipers wouldn’t work with anything but Hope adaptors when I tried it.

I ended up using SRAM adapters on my Codes as well (which makes me thing the Shimano adaptors I’d got left over from the Road brake fitting didn’t work for those either)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Magura adapter compatibility (Sram and Shimano calipers)’ is closed to new replies.