Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Magnetic USB Charging, avoiding Tat
  • spooky_b329

Trying to make in informed choice about a magnetic charging lead is proving difficult…all the reviews I find fall into:

A list of copy & paste features with sponsored referral links and no actual hands on experience/comment
      A thinly veiled review site steering you to the manufacturers own product
      A load of waffle without any real recommendation

Has anyone found a half decent review? I don’t need any words, just a table with a tick boxes to confirm the Magnet is actually strong enough to keep the lead attached, it supports fast charging, does data transfer/android auto and didn’t break within 20 minutes!

Personal recommendations appreciated, I’m short on various leads so the time has come to spend money and I’d love to have a universal lead with tips left in the devices rather than having a four way adaptor with USB C, Micro USB, USB-C and Lightning connectors leads tangled up on the floor!

CountZero

I have tried a Lightning mag charger, and tbh it was crap. It’s fine if you only want to charge, and the device is going to be in one place untouched, but the magnet is so small the connection isn’t that powerful, and there’s no data transfer*, so trying to use such a lead in a car for satnav or music via a radio wouldn’t work.
    I think the best option is magnetic induction where the device just sits on a pad, with BT for data, or CarPlay or Android’s equivalent.
    I’ve got magnetic USB chargers for batteries and a flashlight, both work really well, but the batteries or the flashlight just sit in one place, undisturbed.
    * the one I tried wouldn’t transfer data, but it was a fairly cheap lead, and cheap Lightning leads often don’t transfer data either. The other issue might be how many ‘heads’, and which species, you get with a lead, otherwise you might end up with a whole bunch of redundant leads because you only get one or two ‘heads’ with each lead, and those of a specific species, ie Lightning, USB-C, USB-A, Micro-USB, (and there’s three or four of those as well)…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Can you not do everything but the charging through bluetooth?

I can’t remember the last time i even did that to transfer data, its just sitting in the cloud by the time i log on a computer etc.

spooky_b329

Thanks guys, the only real reason for data is Android Auto (which uses both data and android auto at the same time).

Some of the leads do support data but as C.Zero says, I’m hesitant to commit to one product as I suspect lots are rubbish. I might try them from amazon so I can return them (easier than ebay)

Last time I looked the different leads and tips made the price rocket if you wanted leads at work, home, car etc, but three leads each coming with a tip for each device should cover everything.

FuzzyWuzzy

Bought a cheapish one about a year ago from Amazon, the micro-USB connection sort of charged but slowly on an old phone, the lightning connection didn’t charge at all on an iPhone or iPad.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Magnetic USB Charging, avoiding Tat’ is closed to new replies.