Magnetic Putty – arsenic

  • This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  aracer.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Magnetic Putty – arsenic
  • mildred
    Member

    some advice needed (and mini rant).

    we bought some of this for this kids at Christmas to find out yesterday that it contains high levels of arsenic:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-42830755

    My lad went down hill last Sunday with what we thought was a bug: stomach pains and cramps, over salivating, listless etc. However, when I saw that news item yesterday we realised that all the symptoms he was displaying match those of arsenic poisoning. He’s actually bounced back by Wednesday, which is unusual for him as he has an immunosuppressant condition.

    We’ve been on to 111 who sent to us to a clinic for blood tests to find out they don’t actually do blood tests and there was no physician present only two overstretched nurses, who looked at the wife like she was mentally unstable.

    Anyway, the little fella looks & feels ok now, but websites say that arsenic is a heavy metal and can stay within you causing long term damage. The clinic nurses said if we’rw That concerned then we should be at A&E (we were doing what 111 told us to do). Would you go to A&E with this or make a Dr’s appointment?

    Premier Icon mechanicaldope
    Subscriber

    You eaten it?

    mildred
    Member

    My lad puts EVERYTHING in his mouth, so the chances are that he’s had his fingers in his mouth whilst playing with it.

    Premier Icon mechanicaldope
    Subscriber

    Sorry, my question was aimed when your post only said “some advice needed”.  I’d brought some for my daughter for a stocking filler. That’s now in the bin. No idea what I’d do. If I seriously suspected arsenic poisoning it would be A&E for me.

    mildred
    Member

    Yes that was weird – I didn’t finish what I was writing but the page refreshed and posted as far as I’d got.

    He’s Now got no symptoms whatsoever, hence the nurse looking and speaking to the Mrs like she was insane and hence the reason we didn’t go to A&E in the first place.

    Over and above the **** selling this shite, I suppose my mini rant is about the NHS 111 service not knowing what facilities or service is offered at their treatment centres and clinics, and what advice the NHS actually give online (which advises ringing 111). My other rant is how it was national news yesterday stating how poisonous it is, but nobody offering any information or advice whatsoever with what to do with it, how to dispose of it, what to do if it’s handled or ingested – I even scoured the Northants trading standards website and couldn’t find anything about… grrrr!!!’

    Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

    If he’s ok now I’d make a GP appointment and follow up with them.

    Most of the concern with arsenic is long term exposure and the problem with that putty is that it had more arsenic than you’d healthily want to be exposed to. It would be pretty incredible if it had enough arsenic to to be acutely toxic, if it did it would be scandalous.

    poly
    Member

    in addition to what tomd said: I’d be surprised if the safety limit for arsenic in children’s toys was set so close to the known level of toxicity that even 7x the limit was actually toxic for a small amount of ingestion (which is afterall the most he’s likely to have accidentally consumed without you being aware).  Furthermore this withdrawal relates only to one particular brand/version of the product – there was nothing to suggest all magnetic putty was inherently bad.

    i doubt either 111 or the walk in centre (or A&E for that matter) deal with arsenic poisoning much so I’m not really surprised if there is confusion.  Given its several days since the possible exposure, and will likely be a few more before any bloods taken today would be back (most UK blood test labs aren’t going to have arsenic capability, especially at weekends) I’m not sure how anyone who is asymptomatic could be considered an emergency.  GP would be the logical choice, but don’t be surprised if they also look at you like you are paranoid – because you most likely are being a bit alarmist.

    Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

    I would follow up via GP unless symptoms become acute again and then I would be going to A&E rapidly.

    Personally, I don’t think you are over-reacting at all.

    wrightyson
    Member

    My mum got some of that shit on her carpet at Christmas. She nearly needed a and e when she saw it.

    fossy
    Member

    If he is OK, certainly go to the GP and get follow up tests.Any change, A&E.

    Bloody hell, who sells this stuff !

    Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

    It’s not just the putty, pre 1990 Lego bricks have high levels of 9 different toxic elements in them!

    matt_bl
    Member

    Most of the elements are what make the colours. Lead chromate is a great yellow colour. It’s only an issue if the elements migrate from the toys or paint, when you put them in your mouth or swallow bits.

    Matt

    scratch
    Member

    Blimey, I had at least one red lego brick in my mouth from the age of about 5 till around 9 (1985-1989)

    What are the long term effects? Short term memory loss? although, that did seem to get worse whilst I was at uni.

    Are the magnetic putty things being sold as toys? I assumed they where all CE marked?

    Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

    Not CE marked according to article.

    Going to be seeing this sort of thing a lot more in the years to come…

    Op, levels were 7 times over legal amount. I’m guessing that the legal amount in a child’s toy must be miniscule. So 7 times that mint not be as bad as it sounds?

    However, as a dad myself I would also be very “paranoid” that’s for sure and would be making a trip to gp/ a&e also I think.

    Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

    I had at least one red lego brick in my mouth from the age of about 5 till around 9

    Who who was your dentist???

    Premier Icon aracer
    Member

    scratch’s dentist:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Magnetic Putty – arsenic’ is closed to new replies.