Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Magnet Fishing
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Hi all, it looks to be a cheap pastime. Do any of you magnet fish? What strength magnet, rope etc would I need?

Have you had any good/valuable finds?

Thanks

joshvegas
    Free Member

I bought a 95kg magnet.

Then i started to think about wether touching stuff thats been in the bottom of a canal is appealing. Then carting off all the junk seemed like hassle.

Magnet remains unused.

ElShalimo
    GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

IIRC a couple of lads drowned recently doing this in a Huddersfield canal.  Although drink and drugs may have had an influencing factor.

I can’t see the appeal personally.  I’d hate to think what kind of stuff lurks in a Huddersfield canal.  Nothing of any value, that’s for sure!

lowey

My commute goes along the Bridgewater canal through Salford. The amount of rusty metal shit that’s left on the towpath by then is ridiculous.

sirromj

You can get starters kits like this pretty cheap, the amount of time that passes however is somewhat limited.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Tell you what siromjj that’s just what I’m looking for, cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My commute goes along the Bridgewater canal through Salford. The amount of rusty metal shit that’s left on the towpath by then is ridiculous.

What you riding mate?? The rusty shit is a real pain on there, as are the scallies with the magnets and a rope across the path, maybe they could take up chasing geese instead

lambchop
    Free Member

Have fished a bit this year. It’s a laugh with a few mates. Pulled out knives, air pistols a motorbike and loads of other rusty crap. Biggest issue is getting rid of the crap you pull out. We have found a local scrap dealer who will pick it up if we keave it neatly stacked somewhere accessible.

ctk
    Free Member

https://belowthesurface.amsterdam/en/vondsten

A canal in Holland got sifted and every item recorded!

redthunder
    Free Member

@joshvegas

Do you want to pass it on ?

I’ve got a gravel drive area that needs denailing after some construction  work. I want to try and reduce the puncture risk . I was thinking about getting a large magnet.

Just a thought.

jekkyl

Great link ctk. Absolutely fascinating. It’s all recorded by year going back to the 13th century. And how many guns!

johnjn2000

Never mind how many guns, how many crack pipes!!!!!

scaled
    Free Member

They pulled a live grenade out of the canal by me earlier this year

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Magnet Fishing’ is closed to new replies.