Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • magicshine MJ872……would you recomend it?
  • zippykona

I put the charger in a saucepan that has a pouring lip. The cable goes in that bit and a lid on top. I point the lip away from anything and if it does flame out it shouldn’t touch any thing.
    My wife wants me to point out it is le cruesette and should contain a nuclear melt down.
    I still wouldn’t leave the house with one charging though.
    Does anyone personally know anyone its happened to?
    Seems to be internet Yanks whipping each other up into a frenzy.

Stoner
    Free Member

I charge my cheap chinese 18650 cells outside in an old tool box with an extension cable from an outdoor socket.

Better safe than sorry I reckon.

druidh
    Free Member

I do all my recharging overnight in the babies room. I reckon all that heat output keeps her nice and cosy. Warm air rises, so the rechargers are all placed under the cot.

neilnevill
    Free Member

or budget an extra 26 quid for a reliable charger from smudge.

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/3.html

Rich
    Free Member

Would 2 cheap xml t6 units provide the same light output as the twin xml t6 unit, but for only around £60, and with spare battery and charger?

I’m considering getting an xml t6 torch, decent batteries like senybor or panasonic and an ultrafire wf-139 charger, as at least the charger and batteries are going to be a better quality. Should only be around £25.

It won’t set the world alight, but then hopefully won’t set my house alight either!! 😉

GW
    Free Member

Does anyone personally know anyone its happened to?

I don’t know anyone else it’s happened to, no, but the cheapie charger I bought with my first P7 torch and batteries went on fire, no big deal, I asked on here for a recomendation and bought a safer one to replace it and it’s been fine for a few years now. I leave it on charge all the time (in the kithen, where I’ve always done) while I’m out. To put it into perspective, it wasn’t like the old chip pan fire TV ads it was a small electrical fire that fizzled out all by itself. (FWIW I do have modern wiring/fuse boxes in both my homes)

GW
    Free Member

Would 2 cheap xml t6 units provide the same light output as the twin xml t6 unit[b] way more light than I’ll ever be able to ride fast enough to need?[/b]

Yes, Dear! 🙄

z1ppy

Rich yes ‘supposedly’ the same amount of light is potentially available, as they are the same LED, but this is all down to the individual drivers & electronic gubbins in the lights. Overall, I doubt you’d be complaining about the difference, when in your senario your getting them £50 cheaper
    Though a major consideration with the twin XM-L setup is the potential issue is heat build up, in my mind 2 seperate XM-L lights shouldn’t suffer as much. That and I’d use one on the bars and one and helmet to get the best light setup for riding.

robsoctane
    Free Member

If your Magicshine 872 is heating up too much and dropping to a lower setting, just ride faster. 🙄

Mine’s never done this but it still is pretty new – and I’m a power light virgin.

I don’t know how to compare all those lights out there but I will say that I love Magicshine now! 😀

cookeaa

I’m intrigued by the twin xml t6 unit. looks to have an orange peel reflector. I tried my new DX single xml bastid out back to back with my older P7 bastid a couple of weeks ago (both mounted on the bars switching between them for comparison).

The xml is clearly more powerful but having a smooth finish reflector seems to create a very poor beam pattern. I actually much prefer the P7 on the bars the xml suits helmet mounting far more.

anyone know if the twin xml unit impoves on the singles beam spread?

z1ppy

Cookeaa you could try either just swapping over the reflectors between the two unit or buying some Replacement lenses. Ppl report both have improved the DX XML output.

neninja
    Free Member

The twin T6 one on Ebay is the same as the one I’ve got some samples of except mine has the newer U2 emitter which is a bit brighter and more efficient than the T6.

See this thread which will be updated with proper beamshots and build update.

bigjim

I love the 18650 charging paranoia! With the millions of cheap 18650s charging away in laptops everywhere the country should look like the blitz.

mc11as
    Free Member

Purchased 2 sets of these lights a couple of weeks ago, they have Totally blown away my love of night riding.
    Last week I rode my local haunt lee quarry which led me up to the technical crag quarry, the lowest setting was ample for the long climb with plenty of side vision. Once We got to crag We put the lights to 50% -70% this was masses of light for what was required, We were hitting the berms, drop offs and singletrack at high speed No different to day riding. Light was incredible that was even without going to full power. I am addicted to the output of these lights and we r looking forward to a return to gisburn on thursday to blow our senses with the hully gully. Anyone who is considering buying lights for the new season look no further, I am blown away and so will you, 89 quid delivered is a No brainer. Be a man and get out their you will love it, we do………l

fastindian
    Free Member

anyone know what warranty magicshine direct offer?

Northwind

I’ve got one of the single XMLs mentioned up the page… Gigantic range, but not the best beam pattern, there’s a reasonable amount of wide cast and it’s actually slightly brighter than my P7 in the flood, but the very bright centre spot makes the flood part less useful on the trail. I’d definately say helmet only.

But it’s cheap and still highly effective, just not as good as it would have been with a less focused hotspot. Just waiting for the ebay wide-angle lens to arrive though I suspect it’s not the fix I’m really after. Might start to experiment with the reflector and standard lens.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Ok. So which battery indicator do I believe. Depending on the level the light is running at, the LED indicator on the back of the light can go green/blue/yellow/eye of sauron in no time at all, at which point the battery indicator on the pack shows 7.2v and three bars remaining.

What’s everyone else’s experience – I curious to find out how long I can run them for, but don’t fancy being plunged into darkness out in the woods or potentially damaging the battery with a full discharge (will this happen?).

nickswolves
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these and often getting stopped in the local woods by other riders asking what it is as better than there £100+ lights –

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82510

Awesome light, although an additional helmet light torch would also be good when looking around such as –

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-xm-lt6-5-mode-510-lumen-memory-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-18650-55241

rocketman
    Free Member

Fine for a mixed bag 2-2.5 hour ride.

Run it on 2 for the easy stuff and crank it up to 3/4 when necessary. The indicator stays on green for about an hour then exponentially cycles through blue/yellow/red. Think it flashes red when nearly dead but I’ve not seen it.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Northwind, I was so impressed with your head light last week that I have ordered one but what sort of helmet mount was that?

Northwind

I’m using this:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/velcro-binding-band-for-sku-29489-30864-35cm-32754
    though it’d be pretty easy to bodge something together.

Have to say it’s not the best engineered bit of kit, nasty cheap velcro that barely sticks to itself. But so far it’s working well. Light can creep round the bracket slightly so I’ve added a loop of cloth tape to give it a bit more friction.

It should work for pretty much any light that mounts to the bars with o-rings, incidentally. Though I wouldn’t mind finding something that worked better out of the box, for £2 I won’t complain 😉

Oh- the wide angle lens arrived today, and it does exactly what it says on the tin… Still to use it on the bike but it seems like progress.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Thanks

metal_leg
    Free Member

Well, I can now add myself to the list of unfortunates to suffer charger meltdown. Power tripped in the house last night. Checked all the sockets to see if the kids had poured water in them but no, riding home tonight and my “fully charged” one of these conked out:

bastid T6

Sure enough its charger was plugged into the wall with the insides melted. Third time its been charged.

Anyone recommend a safer charger?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Don’t say that – mine only arrived yesterday!! 😐

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Got one and for 89 green queens from ebay its amazing, had it about 2 months now and used it loads, would not consider another light. Imagine having two on the bars, that would be mental but you just dont need anymore light. 😯

mc11as
    Free Member

i woul say running time is 2.5 – 3hrs on the mj872 for climbing and slow techy singletrack i use the 1st 30% setting sometimes going upto the 50% setting, very rarely have i been above 70% it literally is not required as you have ample light. i do agree that a combination helmet light works well with the mj872, it gives u better awareness around you and a little more confidence. i recently purchased a trustfire cree XM-LT6 1000LM ZOOMABLE torch off e- bay what a fantastic piece of kit it pisses all over my mates exposure helmet lights to be honest it is embarassing. their are seven settings high,middle,low,strobe,sos,zoom in, zoom out. it is only 12cm long and weighs 105g, fully water resistant and runs off 1 18650 3.7v battery, i trailed e – bay and found some 3800mah lithiums which are belting loads more burn time than the 2600mah and i carry a spare so i dont get caught out. the zoom is un- real a lazer of light that goes a long long distance, i picked mine up for 12 quid on auction with buy it nows at about 16 quid. batteries are not included i picked them up from another seller 2 batteries and charger for 5 quid delivered. i also picked up a CREE XP- G R5, 800 lumens, 3 modes bright, normal and flashing without zoom though but still a very powerfull light when helmet mounted that cost me roughly a tenner. the zoomable torch does win massively i picked up a helmet light mount of e-bay and it works a treat 20 quid all in u can stick ur exposures where the sun dont shine. what a rip off buy one of these their unreal………

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

mc11as- that’s a nice write up. Could you edit it and put in some paragraphs and capitals? Apologies for the critisism – I’ve got night blur vision just reading that 😉

Edit – Here – I’ve done it for you:

I would say running time is 2.5 – 3hrs on the mj872 for climbing and slow techy singletrack. I use the 1st 30% setting sometimes going upto the 50% setting, very rarely have i been above 70% it literally is not required as you have ample light.

I do agree that a combination helmet light works well with the mj872, it gives u better awareness around you and a little more confidence. I recently purchased a trustfire cree XM-LT6 1000LM ZOOMABLE torch off e- bay what a fantastic piece of kit it pisses all over my mates exposure helmet lights to be honest it is embarassing.

Their are seven settings high,middle,low,strobe,sos,zoom in, zoom out. It is only 12cm long and weighs 105g, fully water resistant and runs off 1 18650 3.7v battery, i trailed e – bay and found some 3800mah lithiums which are belting loads more burn time than the 2600mah and i carry a spare so i dont get caught out.

The zoom is un- real a lazer of light that goes a long long distance, i picked mine up for 12 quid on auction with buy it nows at about 16 quid.

Batteries are not included: I picked them up from another seller 2 batteries and charger for 5 quid delivered. I also picked up a CREE XP- G R5, 800 lumens, 3 modes bright, normal and flashing without zoom though but still a very powerfull light when helmet mounted that cost me roughly a tenner.

The zoomable torch does win massively i picked up a helmet light mount of e-bay and it works a treat 20 quid all in u can stick ur exposures where the sun dont shine.

What a rip off buy one of these their unreal………

mc11as
    Free Member

Sorry about that, was in a rush to input it all…

off to bed goodnight….

thats very nice of you, thanks

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No critisism meant or implied. Thanks for the update and hope you dont mind my mini edit!

Northwind

Just tested mine last night… It’s fairly ridiculous. Not entirely sure I’ve got any use for full power, maybe for really fast descents but at short range it doesn’t really seem to make any difference over 75%. Proper modes, good. Mode memory, good. I think it could be a wider spread, considering the stupendous power of the thing… But that’s OK.

Longevity needs to be proved o’course but assuming for the moment that it lasts…. it doesn’t feel cheap and nasty, it doesn’t have any obvious drawbacks of bulk or bad design or reuse of torch parts… Doesn’t run disturbingly hot either. It’s just a really good light that happens to be cheap. If it said Hope or Exposure on the side people would pay £400 for it I’m sure.

Also came with a nicer looking charger, though time will tell. (it has a really lovely tiny ickle mains plug, so far everyone that’s seen it has gone aw!)

mc11as
    Free Member

Do not be put off with other light options from hong kong. Delivery times can sometimes be a pain, I received mine in just under 2 weeks. Their is a vast array of Cree torches out their that can be picked up for a small price…..

zippykona

Just had a quick spin with my light and yes it is bright. Throws light everywhere.
    I shall just run it on full power ,what run times can I expect?

hammy7272
    Free Member

Zippyona- I’ve just been out with mine for the first time. I had it on high for about 20 mins and it just turned to blue? Not sure if that helps?

MarcSussex
    Free Member

Have any MJ872 owners experienced any overheating issues that I have read about?

Also, has anyone used this light in a prolonged wet ride? The opposition Bikeray IV looked good for a while but seems to have major waterproofing issues.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

(it has a really lovely tiny ickle mains plug, so far everyone that’s seen it has gone aw!)

it has no fuse which is why it’s small, I put a fused plug/cable in it’s place

Trekster

An RCD sounds like a good idea 🙄

emac65
    Free Member

Marc Sussex – Member

Have any MJ872 owners experienced any overheating issues that I have read about?

Also, has anyone used this light in a prolonged wet ride? The opposition Bikeray IV looked good for a while but seems to have major waterproofing issues.

Had no overheating issues with mine,it’s been on a couple of 4hr mild night rides with no issues.Was also used on the bars at this years D2D which rained non stop for the 7.5 hrs that I lasted doing it,it’s waterproof !

torchythebatteryboy
    Free Member

I found the MJ-872 overheated even with a decent airflow, and continually stepped down a level (sometimes two) until it cooled down. I took the light off the bike in case it was a loose connection, and hitting a bump was causing it to change mode, but using a fan to cool the lamp head, which has worked with every other light I have tried, didn’t prevent the overheating.

MrTall
    Free Member

Torchy, have you any experience of the new MJ-880 or know if it suffers the same problems? I nearly bought an 872 until i read one of your reviews mentioning the step down of power.

The same thing now happens on my Trustfire 1300lumen torch, it shuts down on the highest setting in less than 60 seconds which is putting me off the ‘cheap as chips’ far east options…..

dantsw13

I have 2 MS lights – The “Mickey Mouse” P7 one, and the new Cree 1000lm one, and also the BikerayIV. I have had no issues with the light heads, but be very wary of cheap MS batteries. They really struggle to hold a charge. On my BR, I upgraded to the German OpenLightSystems battery – what a difference!!!! On a 2hr ride – 70% on high(1200lm) it never goes from green 🙂 All the batteries from these are interchangeable BTW.

As for waterproofing, no issues from me, and we ride in all weathers!!

If people struggle with the rubber band mounting system and the light head sagging, try a strip of grip tape (glue backed sandpaper, effectively) on your bars.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘magicshine MJ872……would you recomend it?’ is closed to new replies.