Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Magic Shine Lights – will it burn my house down?
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Just saw/heard about all this recall stuff – can’t seem to find out what is actually wrong with them?

Anyone know? I’m only really worried if its going to spontaneously combust while I’m asleep.

Thanks

bigbob38
    Free Member

Tend to charge mine in the waking hours….just in case! Although had it 14 months used at least twice a week with no issues…

cubemeup
    Free Member

my mate has just bought a set, have they recalled them??

i will pis* myself if they have!

Twin
    Free Member

Will definitely burn your house down.

Then eat all the children in your street.

z1ppy

A US supplier of the light has issued a recall, UK distributers & Dealextreme have not.
    There’s a thread on the MTBR Lighting forum about it, and there are pictures of fire damage. That said any electrical item can malfunction & catch fire. Going by the amount of MTB’s i know or have met whilst night riding using the light, I’m more than happy to use it. As with any battery charger, I only have it plugged in whilst charging (over night usually) and do it in a clear well ventilated space.

phiiiiil

I don’t care as I charge them in the garage which is underneath someone else’s house. Mwuahahahahaaa!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Just about to give mine their first charge, if I don’t post on the forum tomorrow, you know why!!

Tinners

Does this mean that a Spokeshirts light has the same problem? I was going to order one when they’re back in stock, but that doesn’t sound like such a good idea anymore……….

Pook

I’ve had mine for a year and it’s only burnt my house down three times. I live in the shed and charge it on an extension into the bbq now to be safe and only handle it with the tongs they use to pick cooling rods out of nuclear coolant pools from behind a lead plate.

This is me handling mine following a morning of charging…

Only kidding. It’s just fine and dandy.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Charge it in a cool place on a concrete floor, with nothing flamable near & it can’t hurt anything.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

All this just to have a cheap light eh ? 😉

WHAT a bargain. £50 for a light, then its Russian roulette as to whether your house burns down with you and your family inside.

But at least you got a cheap light out of it, and the £150 odd you saved is well worth the risk.

tsk 🙄

Of course, we all know how quick Americans can be, to telephone a lawyer, hence why a US distributor would be issuing a recall.

I wouldn’t like to be in the UK distributors shoes.

Buy cheap, buy twice… IF you live !.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Yay, I’m alive!!! Charged mine last night and the house is still standing this morning, I’ll see if the explode on me when I use them later tonight, I’ll try and give the people I’m riding with fair warning so they can retreat to a safe distance, and get photos for you all..

retro83
    Free Member

WHAT a bargain. £50 for a light, then its Russian roulette as to whether your house burns down with you and your family inside.

But at least you got a cheap light out of it, and the £150 odd you saved is well worth the risk.

tsk

Charging any battery has an element of risk.
    My LI-PO wireless home phone battery got immensely hot and bulged to about 3 times its normal size the other week.

Besides as I posted on a similar thread the other week, loads of of large ‘premium’ brands have had to recall various batches of their rechargeable batteries over the last few years (Sony, Dell, HP, Apple to name but a few), so it’s not necessarily related to cost.

yoshimi

I charge mine at work:)

J0N
    Free Member

Captain_Crash – Member
    All this just to have a cheap light eh ?

I seem to remember Iphones and Ipods had a similar problem with charging and a couple of units burning/flaming.
    Be sensible and follow the common advice on chrging batteries and all will be fine. If the battery burns then a new one is cheap enough. it’ll be a lot of batteries before its the price of mainstream bike lights.

AFAIK All the safety risks relate to the old battery. The new battery is a lot safer, so far. 😯

lipseal
    Free Member

I charge mine in the garage near the gas boiler, so if they blow up it will take the boiler out and the back flash down the gas main should take out the whole of the UK’s gas supplies resulting in mass panic and a hike in gas prices, just saying sorry in advance.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

yoshimi – Member
    I charge mine at work:)

That, is excellent 😀

Its all OK really, they’re totally safe. The light wont fail while you’re out on a ride, the battery wont give up, and the charger wont burn your house down and explode the national gas supply.
    And you don’t double the risk by buying two, cos they are such a bargain.

And anyone who sells a light not from China, that costs more than £50.

IS RIPPING YOU OFF. Cos your not getting anything more.

Cool.
    Chinese lights allround please.

PSA.
    All UK light manufacturers, infact all UK manufacturers.
    Please stop what you’re doing and proceed to your nearest DWP offices and claim JS.
    No one here is buying British, your FIRED !.

EDIT: There are too many claiming ownership of the bstid light for them all to be strapped to £200 hard tails.
    Some folk are riding 2K bikes with a £50 light strapped to it.

Very amusing. Perhaps we could have a picture thread.

“show us your expensive bike with bastid attached”
    😆

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The recall: I think it as much a small number of units failing during charge, a fair few more getting wet and not working anymore, a new improved version being made availible by the manufacturer and the need of the US ‘distributor’ to throw their weight around and justify their own existance (and hence their slice of the pie).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Magic Shine Lights – will it burn my house down?’ is closed to new replies.