Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • magic mary and tyres-once more
  • freeriding
    Free Member

Guys some questions:

–how is the addix soft magic mary compared to the trailstar?

–Also, which is a better allrounder tyre: magic mary soft or dhf maxterra?

–better allrounder rear tyre: aggressor or nobby nic?

SirHC

The Mary is a very draggy tyre, mary is better when the ground is soft. If I was riding trail centres, would be on a minion/aggressor combo. For off-piste natural trails with mud/dirt shorty/minion or hillbilly/butcher.

astormatt
    Free Member

Quote from Schwalbe website:

That’s ADDIX Soft. Schwalbe has dug deep in the tire builder’s bag of tricks to create the perfect balance between the two. The result is a compound that’s amazingly good fun and yet is significantly more durable than the previous TrailStar compound.

I have a set of MM in soft on my hardtail, grip is excellent, have only had a handful of rides though.

I have never got on with the DHF in various compounds so i would recommend the Mary.

I like the NN as a rear tyre, can bit a bit slippy in mud. I also quite like the Aggressor, comparing the two, i would probably edge towards the Maxxis. For me it would depend on What’s up front as i couldn’t have 2 different brands of tyres…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Maxxis, unless you like you tyres falling apart in record time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had this with both HR2 and Hans Dampf, but Mary (Supergravity vertstar) up front (would be a bit much on the rear) certainly has never did this IME.

joebristol

On the aggressor, I’d consider this a summer tyre. I had one on the back and I ride mainly trail centres but by about October I was struggling with it for drive forwards.

Swapped it out for a dhr2 and it’s much better for most of my riding. Both in Exo / 3C and run tubeless with about 25 psi pressure.

On the DHF I’ve got one up front that I’ve been running the last few months in Exo / 3c / 2.5 width. It’s great on the trail centres I ride – you can really lean it etc. If you find sloppy mud it can be a bit vague.

Not tried a magic Mary so far but from what I understand it’s ok at trail centres but is better for natural stuff.

twohats
    Free Member

Trotting this one out again!
    Do move on, they sorted their issues out quite a while ago.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was thinking of Marys on the Patriot. We have lots of loamy dirt homebrew trails here that I’d like to get quicker on. They’re not exactly greasy as such in the winter, except in places, but it’s muddy.

I do have to ride some distance to get there though including road. It’s either Mary, Hans Dampf or Maxxis HR II I think. I’d need light casings and not too soft though.

Northwind

TBH the addix grades seem a little misnamed, “soft” is the trailstar equivalent but I’d have never said trailstar was a soft/especially grippy rubber. I really want to try the purple magic mary to see if it’s a shorty beater, I reckon it could be.

Mary’s probably a better allrounder than other spiky tyres but I think the main reason people use it for an allrounder is that the hans dampf’s not very good.

zilog6128

Tried MM Super Gravity (Trailstar; not tried the Addix, think it’s new?) on the front, Hans Dampf on the back and it was too draggy for my liking. Was great with a Rock Razor on the back though! That combo also rode well at BPW last time I went (dry).

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Have they heck.

Took some I won to Finale as they were SG casing. The side knobs were tearing after the first day. They were in the bin by the middle of the week.

DezB
    Free Member

I bought one of the Trailstar MMs to try on the front – it is the most confidence inspiring front tyre I’ve ever used, particularly in the wet.
    Hoping it’ll last well as the Addix are too pricey for me.

freeriding
    Free Member

Thank you!
    Personally, i don’t confirm that the magic mary is draggy. I find it to have a much better traction/rolling resistance ratio, than the dhf.
    For the rear i am also considering the new mountain king.
    https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tyres/mountainbike-tyres/mountain-king-protection

molgrips
    Free Member

DHF is front and DHR is rear? Or is DHF front and rear?

They look good but are a bit heavy. Some other Maxxis look better.. also not all are available in 26″. Ideally I want 26×2.4

mark90
    Free Member

DHF is front and DHR is rear? Or is DHF front and rear?

Both work either end depending on your preferences. I know people who run DHR front or DHF rear. I’m the opposite.

Personally I’m not keen on DHR up front as I don’t like the slightly HR2 -esque square profile and vague transition to the side knobs and much prefer the DHF in this respect for up front. Don’t find it an issue out back though and the grip of the DHR is great on the steep off piste trails. Paired with a Shorty or Mary this time of year and a DHF in summer, though then I’ll probably switch to an Aggressor rear.

freeriding
    Free Member

Shorty is much more draggy than magic mary imho.

How is nobby nic compared to aggressor? I read that nobby nic lets go abruptly.

Northwind

freeriding – Member

How is nobby nic compared to aggressor?

Shite.

Oh OK. Not really quite comparable, the Nic in trailstar is a bit faster but far less grippy, and also more delicate. Maxxis inexplicably make the Forekaster which is pretty much the same as the Nobby Nic, ie, shite. I think the main reason people like Hans Dampfs is that they previously used Nics, and after that an inside out Bling Bling like GW uses would be an upgrade.

molgrips
    Free Member

To be honest Mary ‘looks’ good to me. And I really rate Schwalbe generally.

freeriding
    Free Member

I have high hopes on the new mountain king for rear.
    https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tyres/mountainbike-tyres/mountain-king-protection

Those paddle like center knobs will be really good in braking ala dhr2.
    Also seems an easy roller.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve got trailstar MMs on both MTBs for winter. Not that draggy particularly for what it is, good level of grip and confidence. I might be tempted by the soft if I go to addix.
    There’s not much wear on either but not showing any signs of the falling to bits some previous schwalbes have exhibited, neither is the due for replacement rear pacestar NN on one of the bikes which I have seen on the previous NN design running it front and rear.
    Maxxis are fine but no more grippy like for like and slower rolling.

bruneep

MM draggy? dont really notice riding through 2 ft of mud, I do notice the better grip tho

crashrash

Been riding MM adix on front and DHR2 on rear – not as quick as my mate on Agressor/DHF combo in summer though I’m not far behind and he is lighter and fitter! Then when its wet I win by a country mile – grip is awesome and very worthwhile down here in the wet country!

freeriding
    Free Member

crashrash
    Been riding MM adix on front and DHR2 on rear

Magic mary soft snakeskin?
    dhr2 2.3 or 2.4? which compound?

freeriding
    Free Member

bump

twohats
    Free Member

Have they heck.

Took some I won to Finale as they were SG casing. The side knobs were tearing after the first day. They were in the bin by the middle of the week

So, you took some free tyres to Finale (one of the harshest riding surfaces known to “enduro” riders) and they didn’t last the week!?
    Need a hug?

seb84

how does the e13 ers plus compare to THE MM?

seb84

how does the e13 ers plus compare to THE MM?

mark90
    Free Member

Been riding MM adix on front and DHR2 on rear

Magic mary soft snakeskin?
    dhr2 2.3 or 2.4? which compound?

I’ve been running a MM soft snakeskin with a 2.3 DHR 3c Maxterra (as that is what I had), although just popped a 2.3 Butcher Grid on the rear (again as that is what I had in the garage) to compare.

The soft Addix rubber doesn’t feel as soft and sticky to the touch as a Maxxis 3c Maxterra, but it does feel softer and tackier than the Maxxis dual compound or the Butcher. Can’t compare to the old trailstar etc as I haven’t got/run any old Schwalbe tyres.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I’ve gone from HR2s (3c MaxT) as they worn out and I loved them to MM Addix soft TLE and Hans Dampf Addix Speedgrip TLE.

Was curious about the hype so thought I’d try as found them cheap on bikediscount.de

I was wary at first because I’ve had Schwalbes that have been torn to shreds in their previous incarnations but these new ones, I highly rate them for durability and as mentioned above the MM in soft is extremely confidence inspiring and the dampf in that speedgrip rolls really well. Good in the current mudfest conditions with its nobs.

duir
    Free Member

I used the new addix soft in Malaga for a week recently, very harsh dry conditions. The front is like new but the rear is quite worn but ok. There was another rider with the same and his side knobs literally started falling off. Interestingly there was an R & D guy from Continental with some new versions of their tyres that were supposed to correct their inability to stay up tubeless……….the knobs fell of those too.

New addix seemed really good and grippy on my setup and much lower drag on the rear which surprised me. My biggest gripe is the 2.35 come up narrow compared to the old one but that might be a function of my 25mm rims and may be fixed by wider rims.

Would expect tyres to have serious wear on a harsh riding holiday but not have the tread completely dislodge, not acceptable at this price but didnqt happen on mine?!

Northwind

twohats – Member

So, you took some free tyres to Finale (one of the harshest riding surfaces known to “enduro” riders) and they didn’t last the week!?
    Need a hug?

If you read his post, they started to fail within a day, and then he replaced them with something else- question is, did those stand up. Seems fair to assume from the posts that they did.

I didn’t have the knobs falling off issue, I just had the premature wear on the edge of the blocks and resulting major loss of grip, on a tyre that was already less grippy than it should have been (hans dampf) Replaced it with a minion, the exact Maxxis equivalent which was faster, considerably grippier, cheaper, and didn’t fall to bits.

That was a while ago but schwalbe didn’t consider what happened to my tyre to be unusual or a fault.

crashrash

Sorry for the late reply – @freeride
    Front end MM addix soft snakeskin and 2.3 DHR2 Exo 3C maxterra. duir is spot on regarding size as well – the old MM was big /true size but the new one is defo smaller. comparable to 2.3 DHR2 on my rims running at 25psi.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you read his post, they started to fail within a day, and then he replaced them with something else- question is, did those stand up. Seems fair to assume from the posts that they did.

Basically that. The Minions I put on are still on the bike now.

stevextc
    Free Member

Really the main thing is WHERE and WHAT you ride….
    Off camber roots vs mud vs rocks vs ??? and different mud shedding vs different mud ….
    Rolling resistance on fire trail vs on technical climbs…

Its a bit unrealistic to expect anything to work for everything.

Be it the MM or different Maxxis etc. one will work better for someone in someplace.
    Most of the quality tyres will be good at something … and rubbish at something else or you get a Hans Dampf type of not that THAT bad at everything?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘magic mary and tyres-once more’ is closed to new replies.