Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Maggots – Why won't they die?
  • samuri
    Free Member

Looks like some flies have got inside our green bin. It was a bit wiffy.
    Opened the lid today and there was loads of maggots around the edge so I brushed them off onto the drive and stamped on them. Job done.

Went back later, now there’s hundreds of them around the edge and loads crawling up the sides. Boiling water this time.

Checked a little later, more hundreds of them. Boiling water again, hit a few of them with a stick.

Checked again before it got and more hundreds of them. How the hell do I kill them and and how many will there be?

The bin is quite full but it’s mostly garden stuff. Some food leftovers in there but it’s another week before the green bin men come. I’ve got the jet spray and disinfectant to scorch earth it once it’s empty but I’d rather do something about them now.

crikey
    Free Member

hit a few of them with a stick

Presumably in the hope they will go back and tell the others to go away?

trail_rat
    Free Member

petrol , match.

its like the evil dead , death by fire , buiral alive or dismemberment

footflaps

Put a brick on the lid and just seal it all in till it gets collected?

scaredypants

***BING BONG***

Paging chewy

Paging chewy

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ask chewkw.

EDIT: Dang, too late. 🙂

scaredypants

KoM !!!!
    😳

chewkw
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

***BING BONG***

Paging chewy

Paging chewy

deadlydarcy – Member

Ask chewkw.

EDIT: Dang, too late.

😆 😆 😆

Samuri,

All you need is fly spray … spray around the bin, inside the bin and surrounding area where there are crevasses or gaps. The maggots usually hide in the gaps once they start crawling out from your bin.

Well, that happened to me two years ago … my kitchen ended up with at least several hundreds flies just after I killed several maggots (more like 50) few days before that.

Oh ya … be prepared because sooner or later your kitchen will be full of flies.

Maggots you just got to love them.

😆

project
    Free Member

eventually they turn into flies and fly away, all gods wonderful creatures.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

round ’em up and stir fry with garlic and chilli sauce

mogrim

round ’em up and stir fry with garlic and chilli sauce

They’re basically pre-peeled prawns, go for it!

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh ya … do they “pop!” when you step on them? 😆

Vern0n
    Free Member

Yuk. I have them too this year, never before – assume its just the good weather! Bleach / boiling water to clean bin til it’s sparkling but pesky maggots back after a week or so. Yes money saving council only collect every 2 weeks, so I don’t feel too bad that bin men are confronted by an army of wriggling rice!

mrmo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWCSXz2tNfk[/video]

tonyd

Our black bin was full of them about 3 days after the last collection and we have fortnightly collections. The kids tend to waste a lot of food but it generally gets double bagged so not sure how the blighters got in there. Anyway, tried boiling water which killed those I could see and pour onto but within minutes there were frickin thousands more.

I put something heavy on the bin lid then went to the hardware shop in the morning. Intended to get some good old fashioned fly spray but they had something squirty which smelt strong, and something called Bin Buddy that you sprinkle in from time to time. Not seen a maggot since then.

Bins finally get emptied tomorrow at which point I’ll have to scrub the dead maggots off and give it a good bleaching. Not that that will deter the feckers.

wallop

The kids tend to waste a lot of food

I couldn’t help but wonder why you don’t just give them less food 😆

samuri
    Free Member

You’ll be pleased to know that this morning there were only a few hardier maggots crawling around. Unless the rest of them were snuggled up in the warm base of the bin. I guess hitting them with a stick really does work.

tonyd

I couldn’t help but wonder why you don’t just give them less food

I’ll rephrase!

Unlike me, the kids don’t eat every scrap of food on their plates and then lick it clean afterwards so there is usually some food waste in the bin. Unfortunately I’m not always around when they have dinner to lick their plates too. 🙂

wwaswas

The most scared I ever was watching tv as a kid was the Dr Who series with the maggots.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y95tlY6RASg[/video]

Kids today, they don’t know what true horror really is.

allthepies
    Free Member

Are you supposed to put food waster and garden waste in the same bin ?

That’s a no-no in our council area.

Coyote
    Free Member

Kitchen waste, i.e. peelings, raw veg scraps, eggshells etc go in the composting bin with cardboard and garden waste. Cooked food waste goes in the general waste bin.

HTH

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you supposed to put food waster and garden waste in the same bin ?

It goes in different bins where we live but ends up in the same place I think.

samuri
    Free Member

Even cooked waste is allowed in the green bin as long as it’s not mushy/wet.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Maggots – Why won't they die?’ is closed to new replies.