Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Mag Feature: Vicious Cycle (cycling and depression)
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good article. Some depth and substance. One of the better reads in the mag in recent times. I think.

binners

Absolutely outstanding article! I can’t see any other mag publishing anything Remotely like that! Hats off Singletrack!

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Great piece of writing + agree one of the best things I’ve read in a mag for a while.
    Respect to ST + the writers.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve not read it yet and I’m not sure I want to.
    Can someone summarise please, is it actually about bikes and is it a depressing read? I just want to read about bikes really… its bad enough theres all that CX shite in the back of the mag this month and a page devoted to an ‘article’ about someone who lists every SPD pedal ever made and then says he’s switched to flats for a bit.

Renewal? I don’t think so…

brianh
    Free Member

christmas grump 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

Great read. Props to singletrack for publishing that.
    Enormous respect to the author, I hope he found writing that piece in some way cathartic. I also wish him the best of luck in his battle. I’m routing for him.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it a forum member?

rewski
    Free Member

Is it a forum member?

probably, a lot of depression posts lately, good to talk about it, great issue all round, even the cx.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Any chance of a brief, couple of line, summary of the article?

Hats off to the writers and editors for producing and including an artice on depression in a cycling magazine.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Yes a superb article and well done for ST for publishing it.

The content was very personal to me and I can totally relate to it . Cycling has turned my life around in the last 16 months…

Well done

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s about a chap who suffers depression and explains how and why cycling helps him.
    It’s brutally honest, dark, engaging, enlightening. Ultimately left me with a better understanding of the suffering, reinforced the reasons I ride (although I don’t suffer depression) and left me hopeful for the author.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s quite a complex article exploring possible reasons for a correlation between depressives and cyclists. Not really possible to summarise except to say it’s not a depressing read. It’s analytical, which is normal for a depressive perfectionist; except it’s accurately researched, reasoned and written; which is normal for a depressive perfectionist in a good mood :0)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is it as depressing as not being able to ride because you are injured??
    8 freaking weeks and counting.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

He does discuss the effect of enforced layoff on a compulsive personalty who cycles as self-medication. Can be quite positive…

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Definitely insightful/uplifting/inspiring rather than depressing read. Worth seeking out.

drain

Great article. I can’t speak for others, but for me it absolutely nails the descriptions of the various states and emotions I go through, and the reasons why the simplicity of cycling works for me. Really eery to see a mirror of others’ feelings without me looking back out!

So good in fact that it’s inspired me to re-subscribe! 😀

Good one, Singletrack.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Great article, and highlights why ST isn’t just another cycling mag.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Is it a forum member?

Yes, yes it is..

One I know well, and have the great privalage of calling a friend, and someone who I enjoy riding with on many occasions.

I won’t name names, but I’m sure he won’t mind you knowing who.

But, thats not my place to say.

GregMay
    Free Member

*nods* Was a big step for all involved, Tom wrote the things we think about all the time but never voice.

Happy to have contributed, really hope it opens eyes for some.

Chapeau to those in STW towers who were behind the article.

debaser

Superbly written article, well done stw for publishing it.

One of the best things I’ve read anywhere on the subject and it arrived on my doorstep at a time when I can relate to the content rather too well.

TomHill
    Free Member

*deep breath*

First things first, thank you for all the kind words above. They are very humbling, and I’m a bit taken aback to be honest. The article was singularly the hardest and easiest thing I’ve ever written, and yes, with no small amount of catharsis. It is obviously deeply personal, but I am really pleased to see that others have been able to draw parallels.

I’m sure it won’t be everyone’s idea of a good read, and a lot of kudos should go to the magazine for being brave enough to devote a good few pages to the subject. It certainly isn’t traditional bike mag fodder, and I know it was a risk for them. Depression is, well, a bit depressing at times, and I know I look to mags for inspiration and entertainment primarily. It is an important subject though, and one that crops up on the forum regularly. I hope I’ve shown that it isn’t just shades of black though. There are bright, perfect moments in amongst the gloom, and riding bikes is the quickest route to reaching them that I know of.

Thanks also to Greg ^^^, Amy and Lou for letting me bend their ear and nick some of their thoughts. And, with mates like Teetosugars and others to ride with, I’m a pretty lucky chap all in.

Tom

edd

+1 Excellent article. Tom’s Column “New Build” in the cyclocross section is good too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How much do they pay you?

A packet of biscuits? 😉

GregMay
    Free Member

Mince pies, get with the seasonal change dude. 😀

hodge

Well done Tom and to all those involved,ta 😀

Diane
    Free Member

Sounds very interesting – will have to purchase the mag – well done!

Northwind

I thought it was excellent- went that step beyond the obvious or well understood. Some of the comments in it are things that I’ve worked out myself but never consciously broken down like this, which was helpful too.

Thsnks very much!

TomHill
    Free Member

As long as I have a ready supply of Tunnocks I’m a happy man 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

Read it last night, made me cry in good way, thank you thank you for writing it. Your very brave

NormalMan

Just wanted to add my thanks for the powerful article.

There were a few ‘looking in the mirror’ moments, although difficult, at the same time reassuring that others have been there.

Being currently injured and having the news today that its another 2 weeks minimum off the bike, the timing of both the article and the mag in general was spot on.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll have to buy this one, sounds very interesting in the same way Matt Seatons book is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-Artist-Life-Saddle/dp/1841151041

brooess
    Free Member

I’m only part way through but it strikes a chord with me. Very insightful
    Thanks Tom

craigf
    Free Member

give me surprising articles like this any day of the week, give me sections on parts of cycle sport that are things the writers and editors are into and a bit different from the normal stuff every other mag is trotting out.

it’s fine that most of the magazine has the same structure to it each month, but it is the odd leftfield article and things you weren’t expecting to see that keeps the magazine amongst the best out there i think.

cracking issue, great article, and the design is smashing again… really like the christmas themed tyre tracks :o)

rOcKeTdOg

As long as I have a ready supply of Tunnocks I’m a happy man

I can confirm that this man has a stash of dark chocolate tunnocks caramel bars he distributes to the needy VeloCaker 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure everyone likes Tunnocks cakes.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

feature of the year without doubt. as mentioned above, props to the magazine for publishing something so different to the norm, yet relative to so many.

sas78

Wonderful article, thank you Tom for being so honest. It’s a fascinating read, and reflective of personal battles. It’s great to read but must have been hard to get down in print. Well done!

jimmy

Just read the article. Not wanting to jump on the depression band wagon but it’s something I have been very aware of in recent years. Reading the article and these responses helps to quantify and qualify my own state of mind and relate my own thoughts and processes.

Well done on writing and printing this to all involved.

hambl90
    Free Member

Thanks to stw and everyone involved in this article, I personally think it is the best article I have ever read mainly because I can totally relate to it . I have battled with depression for over 10 yrs and almost everything in this article I feel on a all too regular basis. Only a handful of friends and family know I have this cloud hanging over me so it helped me reading this article as I don’t even speak to them about it really.
    Thanks again for printing this and good luck .

TheMarmaladeMan
    Free Member

Great article by Tom Hill and thank you ST for actually publishing it, no one likes to talk about this and it’s a subject that needs bringing into the open, unfortunately there is a stigma associated with depression which needs to be absolved. I can relate to a lot of what is in this article, I only started cycling after the death of my wife and I can honestly say that it helped immensely in saving my sanity and equilibrium. The actual mechanism of riding a bike became almost meditative and freeing, allowing me to gain momentary peace within my head for a short time, so that I could still function as a human.

Once again, thank you ST for printing this and good luck to everyone involved in the article.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Mag Feature: Vicious Cycle (cycling and depression)’ is closed to new replies.