Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Madiera- not the cake
  • fergal
    Free Member

Looks like a great holiday destination, with some pretty good looking mtbiking, would imagine the walking is good to, any info would be muchly appreciated.

jam-bo

guy I know is out there at the moment taking photos for a company called freeridemaderia i think.

from the look of his FB/Instagram feed it looks pretty good.

titusrider
    Free Member

Been there for a family holiday years ago. Good walking, V steep roads and pretty villages. If you get a hire car, get one with a big engine!

My abiding memory though is of just how short and ‘in the sea’ the runway was 😯

see: http://www.iclothavionics.com/2/post/2013/05/the-worlds-most-dangerous-airports-madeira-airport-funchal-airport.html

steveoath
    Free Member

We went for walking and a bit of sun. Great place.

My abiding memory though is of just how short and ‘in the sea’ the runway was

Worst bit – as I hate flying. The landing was fookin crazy.

RustySpanner

Great place if you like peace & quiet.
    Everything closed by 11ish, NOT a party island.

The walking is superb, but can be properly exposed.

The gorge walk up to Monte is great, combined with the Levada dos Tournos over to the Hortensia Tea Rooms it makes a cracking day out.

People are friendly, the food is cheap and plentiful and taxis are good
    value.
    The local specialities are battered fish and lamb kebabs!

Didn’t see any mtb routes when we were there, but it looks superb for riding.
    Basically a big volcano so very steep.

I’d go again.

freeridenick
    Free Member

saw that video yesterday. looks like such a sweet trail…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I went last year for 2 weeks end of March, 1 week MTB’ing and the other for walking. Bloody loved it. Excellent Island to enjoy yourself, people most friendly, views spectacular all around the Island no matter where you are. Some excellent deep Pine Forests and trials to explore, I booked the MTB week whilst I was there and got the Pickup/Drop off treatment and guided hack downhill. The ground is mainly reddish/orange in colour through spectacular Pine Forests and gourges,and very fine so you’ll get covered in a fine dust, couple that with sweat and it’s a canny look at the bottom of the hill(s)
    The temps were constant 25C, little showers early morning for about 1/2hr, bit windy on occasion but mostly sunshine all round. You get a different weather pattern at each end of the Island which is fun so if it’s raining one side it’ll be sunny the other.
    Hire a Car, it’s essential or you will miss out on what is a beautiful place to stay. I’d recommend following the coast roads around to explore secret coves, unspoilt villiages then head inland a little and explore the Pine forests. There are some very very high peaks in the center of the Island which need exploring, certainly one walk that crosses the highest peaks over a very very narrow pathway (one person at best with 800mtr drops either side) will scare the shit out of you, it did me. 😆
    We have booked a big family gathering there again this year, all sharing an Appt with pool at the Funchal Golf Course up the hill from the main town.
    Lots of roadies out, mad as fish really considering there are no flat roads at all, it’s either very steep up or very steep down.. they have adopted the Cobo Wiggle and pace is at best slow going. I’m going to hire a roadie whilst I’m there this time and ride some of the very very narrow lanes that criss cross the Island.

We love it, it’s really rather fab. 😀

mogrim

Great place if you like peace & quiet.
    Everything closed by 11ish, NOT a party island.

The walking is superb, but can be properly exposed.

The gorge walk up to Monte is great, combined with the Levada dos Tournos over to the Hortensia Tea Rooms it makes a cracking day out.

People are friendly, the food is cheap and plentiful and taxis are good
    value.
    The local specialities are battered fish and lamb kebabs!

Didn’t see any mtb routes when we were there, but it looks superb for riding.
    Basically a big volcano so very steep.

I’d go again.

That basically sums up my experience of the island, too. I’d certainly love to go again.

Edit:
    Should add there aren’t any beaches on the main island, which may or may not be a disadvantage.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’ve been a couple of times as a winter sun destination. Not done any mountain biking but saw lots of tracks that would be perfect.

Lots of walking, both easy levada walks (although some require a head for height!) and more mountainous stuff.

We’ve stayed near Calheta a couple of times, which does have a sandy beach (artificial) but found plenty of pleasant snorkelling spots too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Madiera- not the cake’ is closed to new replies.