Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Madeira . . . Talk to me.
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Thinking Madeira for the honeymoon, anyone been?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Reids = WIN! Class hotel.

Lovely food out there. You do like fish, I hope…..

jam-bo

briefly. seemed nice enough. full of oldies.

uplink
    Free Member

Big cliffs, very deep sea, fortified wine and a cake

Other than that, no idea

AdamW
    Free Member

A man walks into a Scottish bakers and asks for the prices of three similar confections.

“Ah, that one is £1.20, that one is also £1.20 and the other is £20.”

“But they look the same? What’s the difference?”

“Ah”, says the baker, “That’s madeira cake.”

Thank you, I’m here all week, try the lamb it’s great!

speaker2animals

I really liked it. VERY steep, didn’t see many cyclists but you can see why. Quiet, as said a popular destination with the more mature. Night life seems to centre around restaurants. From memory the bars are almost all restaurants, though in a eat and drink or just drink, sort of way. No night clubs (I suspect there may be but I wasn’t looking for them, so what not a Ibiza type thing at all).

If you like greenery, walking, countyside and are not a club/pub-a-holic I’d recommend it. Worth taking a trip up in to the peaks if you go. And there are some fantastic estates in the hills above Funchal, almost all owned by the various wine houses. We took a bus up to one, did the gardens and then walked back down in to Funchal via the levadas back in to town. Excellent walk (about from clenching from a case of the squits). There are some really nice Tea Houses that just seem to appear as you come round a corner. Worth a stop for refreshment and a rest.

Both my sister and me had the squits when we were there. Not terrible and always appeared to be in the night (apart from the last day). We both suspect it may be the water and would advise not having ice in drinks. Most water seems to be bottled for drinking. I’m not convinced it is unsanitary water in particular. My family all have sensitive tums, I think it may well simply have been maybe different mineral content or something.

Spud

Had a fortnight there a few years back. Lovely island, was very warm even in October. We had a great hotel 4*, which we were allocated on arrival (late booking). The landing and take off is one of the more interesting I’ve experienced. Great walking, public transport goes all over. We had upset guts too for the last 3 days of our hols, put it down to a trip to a local food establishment on a trip from the tour company. Was one of the most relaxing hols we’ve had as there wasn’t that much to do for two weeks.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Anyone else do / teach CLAIT?

uplink
    Free Member

Anyone else do / teach CLAIT?

No idea what it is TBH

RustySpanner

Went walking there a couple of years ago – as others have said, very friendly, great climate, good food and great scenery. The walking is superb, but some of the Levadas can be a be a bit exposed if you’a coward like me.
    Taxis and buses are both cheap.

The downside is that is very, very quiet, doesn’t have much nightlife outside the restaurants and has no natural sandy beaches.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

no beaches, very green vegetation, a few golf courses, lots of classy hotels.

It has a short runway where the plane has to put the brakes on pretty sharpish and has to refuel at the next island after taking off as they can’t carry enough fuel as they need to be light to take off on the short runway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Madeira . . . Talk to me.’ is closed to new replies.