Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Made the jump to clown wheels….
  • neil853
    Free Member

After much deliberation I’ve made the jump to 29er wheels. I wanted to have some time on a hardtail after 6-10 years of riding full suspensions, I’ve ridden hardtails in that time too but preference has always been full suspension. I wanted something that will be comfortable but also fun to ride. So, I bought a second hand Titus Fireline off here and put some new and old bits on it. Really doesn’t stand me at that much so if I don’t end up liking it I should be able to get my money back, I’m hopeful i’ll like it though, first ride tomorrow!!!

Only thing is, if I do get on with it, I may have to get some carbon rims from China…… then it may stand me at a bit more…..

Anyway, here it is…

bike pic1 by Neil853, on Flickr

bike pic2 by Neil853, on Flickr

Dickyboy

sure that’s a 29 frame – rear wheel clearance looks somewhat miniscule

neil853
    Free Member

That was one of the reasons I went for it, gives it a much shorter back end making it (in theory) more manoeuvrable and easier to pick the front end up…..

wwaswas

rear wheel clearance looks somewhat miniscule

“they all do that sir.”

It’s them short stays, innit.

I’ve not had any problems with the seat tube getting damaged or clogging up on mine.

khani
    Free Member

Looks good to me 🙂 you might find flat bars are needed though..
    And your lawn needs some attention..

neil853
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen a load with flat bars, I’m just not fond on the way they look. may be that I come back from tomorrow’s ride and think I need some, hope not as I’ve only just bought the Renthal’s….. :l

z1ppy

Looks good, you can always dump the spacers under the bar before having to change the bars… far too early to start mowing the lawn!

neil853
    Free Member

^^^^ this is what I’d thought, play around with the spacers first.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m sure you used to make disparaging comments about 29ers 😉

neil853
    Free Member

Paul, guilty as charged, also remember voodoo saying I’d get one. Oh my god….. 🙂

dantsw13

Since buying a Fireline, I’ve not ridden my FS.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Is the 10p for scale?

[tidy BTW]

dazzlingboy

Made the jump to clown wheels….

Disappointed – no fat bike content.

Lester
    Free Member

Neil,nice looking build 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Made the jump to clown wheels….

plus-one

Looks nice that !!! Don’t know if it’s frame size/angles or what but it looks less 29’r ish than most 29’rs if that makes sense ?

I’ll get my coat 😀

neil853
    Free Member

Rides incredibly well, the extra traction you get from a 29er is unreal. Rode today in muddy conditions on Ardents (which in 26 i found lethal) and it was amazing.

handling wise it feels very much like a 26 hardtail, obviously it rolls way better but doesn’t feel ‘lazy’ like i was worried it would. Definitely need to drop the bard though as others have said, still not sure on the flat bar thing, I’ll try putting the stem right down first.

it’ll be a while before my mind is fully made up but as a first ride, I’m very impressed.

chestrockwell

Just what I thought when I made the jump, all be it with fs. The 29er is better 95% of the time, but I still miss the 5%.

eshershore
    Free Member

have fun with your ‘clown wheels’

learn the ride the bike properly, if you ride it like a 26″ bike you won’t get the most pleasure!

maintain momentum, pump the trail, less on the brakes, the big wheels roll over everything, push the front wheel hard into the corners to get proper grip and control

been riding “clown wheels” since 2012 and enjoying every minute. have fun with your new rig!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

learn the ride the bike properly, if you ride it like a 26″ bike you won’t get the most pleasure!

maintain momentum, pump the trail, less on the brakes,
    er isn’t that how you ride 26″ bikes? The biggest difference I found was corner entry points.

eshershore
    Free Member

@mikewsmith

not really?

29’er generally benefit from over-exaggerating pressure on front wheel, compared to similar travel 26″ bike. also assume you are travelling faster into corners, which also means a more aggressive stance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About how I ride my 26″ bikes. The 26″ also benefits from riding hard and all if those things.

rOcKeTdOg

Lol @ you lot telling @neil853 how to ride, he does that for a living iirc

kayak23

learn to ride the bike properly, if you ride it like a 26″ bike you won’t get the most pleasure!

maintain momentum, pump the trail, less on the brakes, the big wheels roll over everything, push the front wheel hard into the corners to get proper grip and control

Lol, er and indeed, copters…… 😀

cp

very nice.

have you considered putting the reverb remote under the bars on the left hand side of the bar? much neater, esp as you’re 1xwhatever

the_lecht_rocks

had my Fireline Evo for over 12 months IIRC – Great bike and perfect for the groomers / centres.

rides like a 26″ because of the geometry but with the benefit of 29″.

great bike and keep us informed of your thoughts and build 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also assume you are travelling faster into corners, which also means a more aggressive stance.

I also like this gem, more due to the wheel size and the physical approach to corners. A 29r is not automatically faster.

mattjg
    Free Member

still not sure on the flat bar thing

It took me a while, but I prefer flats now on my 29er. I roll them forward a couple of degrees to give a little upsweep, they didn’t work for me horizontally. I suspect a lot of people try them horizontally and don’t get that.

They look mean once you get used to them. Like most things, eye of the beholder rule applies.

Tom Ritchey (I think) made a point that putting rise in bars is an odd thing to do compared to setting the stem optimally. Putting a rise in bars requires extra material compared to flat so they’re going to be heavier for equivalent width. I suspect the dominance of riser bars is more about visual appeal for “rawness” than any engineering principle, happy to be corrected on that though.

I’d say get some cheap wide ones and experiment. Cut down if too wide.

Edit: go on get the yellow ones! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-warhead-760-flat-bars/rp-prod80365 (I have the silver in 800mm, they’re nice).

zippykona

I like them fleegle bars on my 29er

Gee76
    Free Member

Doh, how did I miss this. Glad it worked out mate and your having fun. Keep us posted on the bar thoughts. Have you tried inverting your stem if it has any rise?.

Still pondering the cockpit on my 29ers. Flat bar feels bit weird at first but soon feels normal. My problem is going to the risers on my 29er FS. Need to get em matched really.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Made the jump to clown wheels….’ is closed to new replies.