Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Machynlleth MTBing
  • thecaptain
    Free Member

Seems like we have a trip to Macyhnlleth next May. Early days still but I’m looking for days out while we are there. I know there are the Mach routes that we will probably visit, but also interested in longer natural loops. Any good suggestions? I think we will miss the Dyfi Enduro which is a shame, would certainly have done that if I was there.

nickjb
    Free Member

The mach 1-3 trails are very natural. There’s plenty of other tracks crossing that area if you fancy an explore but the machs are a good start.

Stoner
    Free Member

The big Mach trail is a good “out there”, non-manmade ride.

Take in Nant yr Arian too if you get a chance.

kimbers

I think there may be a full on mtb fest with all kinds of disciplines catered for, around the dyfi enduro next year, s’gonna be good !

andysredmini
    Free Member

The mach 3 trail is probably the most boring ride I have ever done. When looking for a route I found a thread on here where most people said it was great but a couple said it was rubbish. The couple were correct. If you like endless gravel road climbs without a good descent as a reward you may like it otherwise stay well away.
    We planned on doing cli-mach after it but couldn’t be bothered. The final descent Looks a bit more than mach3 youtube but still looks boring.

rocketman
    Free Member

Erm there is a fair bit in a north-westerly direction between Macyhnlleth and Fairborne way

Several routes up Cadair Idris from Abergynolwyn and also out of the Happy Valley and onto the ridge behind Dolgoch

softlad
    Free Member

Contact Bike Corris if you need a guide especially recommended for the best of Dyfi

thecaptain
    Free Member

Hmm well I was put off a bit by the Mach 3 being black…I’m not after too much gnarr, we usually ride in the Dales and a bit in the Lakes, I’m looking for views and hills and not too much getting off! Cadair Idris looks interesting – is the bridleway basically ridable on the way up or is it a huge push?

rocketman
    Free Member

Cadair Idris looks interesting – is the bridleway basically ridable on the way up or is it a huge push?

Depends which way you go and how good you are 😉

It can start off pretty easy but whichever way you go the last part is a push

I usually head down the bridleway from Aber then at the bottom instead of turning right towards Cadair head off in the 2 o’clock direction and gain the ridge in front and then join the Pony (?) path. It’s a lot longer but more rideable. Numerous descents from the summit mostly rideable providing you stay away from the Tal-y-lyn side although the descent across Mynydd Moel (sp) is good if your legs are up to it

It’s a day in the hills whichever way you go

poisonspider
    Free Member

We did Mach 3 a few weeks ago (the hottest Nov day in Wales on record no less) and really enjoyed it. It is defo not a technical ride and it’s is true you’re not rewarded with anything resembling much of a downhill. It’s not technical at all in fact and distinctly XC.

However,

If you want a proper old skool, ‘out in the wilds’ style ride, with great scenery and a very natural feel I would heartily recommend it.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mach 3 being black

that’s a german black, not a scottish black.

i.e. its long, with a good dose of climbing. Not gnarr shredfest.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing black about it, not even slightly. The only bit remotely likely to cause you any harm is trying to get 40mph+ then not making round the bend on the one long road descent towards the end.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Great, that Mach 3 sounds like just the sort of thing I’m after (even if some find it boring).

senorj

Great venue for biking imo . With a little bit of map reading there’s a route from Mach. over to Nant Yr Arian ,great views imo, combining the Mach 3 bits…
    Dyfi Enduro is normally first May bank hol ,I think,…& that’s a brilliant weekend, on & off the bike.

Tiger6791
    thecaptain
    Free Member

We “cleverly” chose to avoid the BH weekends, so it seems like we will miss the organised events. Probably only looking for a couple of days out to be honest, maybe 3 at a stretch (depends on the weather a bit of course). Looks like we are well sorted now, thanks for the comments.

redgrandslam
    Free Member

Did a nice ride from Machynlleth to Nant-y-Arian and back last year. Took in some sections of Mach 3, some of the Nant-y-Arian trails and the Nant-y-Arian cafe. About 70km and 1700m climbing. Good day out. Did the Climachx trail on the weekend and nothing too difficult although tyres took a bit of a hit.

dti

+1 for bike corris,
    we have some natural riding trail maps North of Machynlleth on our website
    http://www.beudybanc.co.uk
    there is a website dyfimtb and a dyfi mtb facebook page as well.

teenrat

Kimbers – where do you get the info from regarding an ‘mtb fest’ at the dyfi enduro? Love the Dyfi!

dti
    Tiger6791

Go to Corris and see things you never thought could be made from slate, made from slate.

😀

martinhutch

The long XC route at Nant Y Arian (starts with S) would be my suggestion as a fellow Dales rider. Virtually no technicality, nice varied terrain (not stuck in a forest all the way around), good views and a couple of good descents towards the end.

Tiger6791

Syfydrin

thecaptain
    Free Member

Brilliant, I’m well sorted now. Thanks all. Really looking forward to the trip!

tomaso
    Free Member

Its so long ago now I hardly remember back when I was at uni and flex stems were suspension we used to leave the Midlands and head for a mate’s uncles place in Machynleth and do also sorts of epic rides. There are plenty of mountains to explore and the Dyfi forest has some great bits hidden between the fireroads.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Thanks for the previous comments here, did Mach3 today and it was great. Bone dry so even the “ride with extreme caution” chute was fine (and fun) on a tandem. Will probably fit in something else shorter – it’s not really an MTB holiday, more’s the pity.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Machynlleth MTBing’ is closed to new replies.