Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mach 3 compatible blades
  • Premier Icon rhinofive
    Subscriber

any suggestions for a non-Gillette alternative?

supermarket or ebay preferred

TIA

ps – for sentimental / lazy reasons I’m not wanting to know why I should be using a Guatemalan indigenous alternative to what I already use or letting it all grow out to empower my inner chakras

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

ASDA used to sell them, obviously Gillette aren’t going to license their brand for non-branded Blade makers so you need to do a bit of research. Oh and they’re not nearly as good. Quite a rough shave but at least the performance doesn’t fall off a cliff like the genuine ones do.

Personally I’ve switched to Harry’s they’re a slightly more real world 4 for £8.

They still take the piss though, Mach3 isn’t a new product, it’s at least 20 years old and they used to be £3.50 or so for 4, inflation corrected they should be £5 for 4 now, but it’s usually double that. Not bad for a product you’ve long paid off the R&D for!

They don’t even market it anymore, they’re only keen on pushing fusion now.

neilnevill

They seemed to try and push us to the 5 or 7 blade systems and their advertising was actually scorning their own product I thought about 3 years ago. Any way, o only tried one AM alternative, it was awful. My next action was too try DE and wish I’d done it 30 years ago.

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

I believe the Co-Op do a Mach3 compatible blade – about a fiver for 4 I think

Savers do wilkinson and bic 3 or 4 blade disposables for cheap as chips.

Buy some from Amazon. They’ll come branded as Gillette but they won’t be the same

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

Buy some from Amazon. They’ll come branded as Gillette but they won’t be the same

Really?!? How does that work then? And how would one go searching for such a product? Or know the difference?

neilnevill

There are the real ones, and there are fakes which are not very good. Identifiable by the cost.

z1ppy

Bought my last ones from Amazon, not the cheapest but then the cheapest won’t be genuine.. & I can return them, if I think there fakes

Premier Icon lucky7500
    Subscriber

Always worth keeping an eye on the supermarkets. Morrisons have 12 mach 3 blades + razor for £20. I find that the four and eight packs are on deals in store fairly regularly.

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

I buy bags of three Bic multiblade razors from Wilco for a couple of quid, they last ages, but then, I only shave round my neck ‘cos I has a beard. 🧔
    The whole razor blade business practice is one that was taken up by the printer industry – sell the basic item cheap, then charge through the nose for the blades or ink/toner.
    Then sit back and count the money.

I’m on the verge of moving to DE right now. Fed up of the massive expense and 1 second clogging as soon as you use these multi bladed wotsits.

What the current ‘sensibly affordable DE’ package du jour?

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

i find edwin jagger to be a good affordable razor, mebbes around £20 or slightly over? and i also find a knurled handle to be better for grip if you have wet hands.

as for razor blades, just a few assorted packs from wherever you buy your razor from, everyone has their own favourites. for me, i like the gillette 7 o clocks (yellow pack) and feathers, altho feathers may be a bit sharp if youre just starting out. i always found derby blades tugged and were uncomfortable.

petec

personally I’d go here, and then [maybe] take a hit on the import tax

https://www.italianbarber.com/pages/custom-shaving-kit-builder

I’ve used the company – and they’re very good.

There’s also the usual Shave Clubs https://www.thepersonalbarber.com/products/discovery-shaving-box – which you can cancel at any time. I’ve not used them however. But, you know, £25 all in. Cheaper than 8 gilette blades

When you need blades, there’s here https://www.razorbladesclub.com/

There are the real ones, and there are fakes which are not very good. Identifiable by the cost

Just so.

Premier Icon peekay
    Subscriber

Surely the blade is the ‘business’ bit of the whole blade+handle setup? The handle is just a little metal stick with a clip on the end.

If you want an alternative to genuine mach 3 blades, why does it need to fix to a mach 3 handle? If you find a blade that you like, then just use whatever handle it comes with.

Premier Icon rhinofive
    Subscriber

Surely the blade is the ‘business’ bit of the whole blade+handle setup? The handle is just a little metal stick with a clip on the end.

….or the handle (and how I come to have it) is the sentimental bit I mentioned and I’m happy with Mach3 blades but wondered if there was an alternative to getting stiffed for a couple of quid a pop

As per PJ & Teethgrinder looks like I’ll treat myself to a trip to ASDA or Co-Op and see if they have something

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.