Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 260 total)
  • Macca on vegetarianism
  • aP
    Free Member

On R4 – quite interesting. I’m still constantly amazed at the number of people I know in the 2nd decade of the 21st century who seem fixated by having meat product with every meal.

Drac

Why are you amazed that some people choose to have meat?

convert

That’s not what he said.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I eat meat, though very little red meat, but I wouldn’t have a huge problem with giving it up. My 13 year old daughter would be pleased if I did, she’s been a vegetarian (and a very strict one at that) since she was 5.

kayak23

Oh no, THAT debate is going to start isn’t it 🙁

Please say it’s not….

grum
    Free Member

My missus is vegetarian and I do all the cooking. With a bit of imagination/effort you can make some great vege food, and I only very rarely resort to tofu/quorn etc. I do still generally eat meat when out for a meal or something though.

somafunk

Just listened to it whilst chopping logs, being a veg of 22+ years (since i got my own place at 19) he’s preaching to the converted in me but an interesting listen none the less – i’ll check it out later on Iplayer as i missed some of it though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Rise of the paleo init.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m still constantly amazed at the number of people I know in the 2nd decade of the 21st century who seem fixated by having meat product with every meal.

Why ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

convert – Member
    That’s not what he said.

Indeed it isn’t. Not reading OP fail.

Other than that, what grum said.

wallop

But mmmmmmm…. bacon…..

aP
    Free Member

Haha Ian – that guy’s so unintentionally hilarious.

brakes
    Free Member

aP, why are you so amazed?
    We have a culture of food built around meals with meat. Where/ what would be a cause for change?

aP
    Free Member

Oh, I’m not by any stretch vegetarian, I just choose when I want to eat meat product rather than being so unimaginative to start with meat product as the default constant in every meal.

Drac

Funny that some people choose when to have meat too.

aP
    Free Member

Our god given right to eat meat product in every meal dates back less than 70 years. It’s a bit like talking about haggis and tartan in Scotland being anything else than Victorian cultural constructs.

Drac

What, it’s a right now? Going back only 70 years.

This eating meat thing is confusing, no wonder some people choose not to.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Your making me hungry…
    I’m off to tescos to get some horse burgers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

With a bit of imagination/effort you can make some great vege food

Dont be daft everyone knows it is nothing but bland as bland can be he says tucking into some vegan banana bread …YUK tastes like cardboard you wont want any 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Our god given right to eat meat product in every meal dates back less than 70 years.

I dunno about a right, but we’ve been designed for the past 5000 years* / evolved over hundreds of millennia** as omnivores

*god given / **not got given

allthepies
    Free Member

You’d think the amazement might fade after encountering the characteristic a few times.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not sure we’re designed/evolved enough for meat every day though*, or are we?

*thankfully Tesco’s supply chain is.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

for thousands of years, man eats meat. In the last hundred years we start taking nutritional advice from a bass player

zokes
    Free Member

Not sure we’re designed/evolved enough for meat every day though*, or are we?

It doesn’t seem to be doing the majority of the western world much harm.

EDIT: And for that matter, Asia, Africa and South America appear to be the places where it’s hardest to be vegetarian

martinhutch

The trouble is, every time I hear or see Macca, it brings out a primeval urge to kill something.

Junkyard
    Free Member

zokes your right we seem to have weight well under control with out current diet. Good point well made 😉

FWIW I found Asia pretty easy what with hindus and Buddhists and they had staple [traditional] meals that were veggie

SnS
    Free Member

Been a vegetarian for over 45 years (ie most of my life)

Even now in this day and age, there seems to be predominantly two basic reactions when dining out with people for the first time :-

1. ( you can see this written on their faces) – Vegetarian ??? – but he looks so normal ! followed by the furtive surreptitious glances to see if I have cross-eyes or webbed fingers.
    2. The Super aplogetic people who stumble over themselves in an effort to make out that they’ve virtually vegetarian.

I really really couldn’t give a damn what anyone else eats – it’s entirely upto them !

P.s. I’m actually allergic to red meat & don’t like the texture or taste of anything that crawls out of the sea.
    So not a ‘moral’ vegetarian.

Chris

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Asia

If we take China out, I’d have thought a fair proportion would be veggie, no?

kilo

… don’t like the texture or taste of anything that crawls out of the sea.

There’s your mistake don’t eat anything that crawls out of the sea (turtle, alligator, seal), eat stuff that swims in the sea and is wrenched out in a net or on a hook, they taste much nicer

grum
    Free Member

Dont be daft everyone knows it is nothing but bland as bland can be he says tucking into some vegan banana bread …YUK tastes like cardboard you wont want any

Note I said vege not vegan. 😉

chrismac

We are designed to eat meat and veg so I presume nature did that for a good reason. Seems a shame to go against evolution to me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nature didn’t design us. We adapted. But we were fine just on plants too. Many would argue that our gut and colon haven’t quite caught up with our level of meat consumption yet. Another few millennia might see us fine, if we still have the available land to support the intensive farming that will be required.

tazzymtb

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63NNuG-6-hQ[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

We are designed to eat meat and vegwalk and run so I presume nature did that for a good reason. Seems a shame to go against evolution to me and ride bikes

FTFY

tazzymtb

evolutionary adaptation will mean that over generations, vegetation eyes will start to move to the sides of their heads, like all prey animals. Soon they will gather in herds for protection and the oldest and slowest will be devoured by solo atkinsonsian evolved meat eaters. The future is bleak

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

aP, why are you so amazed?
    We have a culture of food are a species adapted to eating both meat and veg built around meals with meat.[/s]

FIFY 🙂

tazzymtb

to be fair, based on the dental structure we’re more adapted to eat fruit and insects.

Euro
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

FIFY

You didn’t I’m afraid.

Kevevs
    Free Member

meat is tasty and nutritious

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘Macca on vegetarianism’ is closed to new replies.