Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Macc Forrest Off Piste and DH
  • snapperdan
    Free Member

Looking for steep loamy trails to session and was wondering anyone can point me in the right direction?

I’ve seen some builders on Instagram, but no locations have been forthcoming….

Was thinking of riding to the top of Charity Lane and exploring the forest from there? I believe there’s loads of trails but don’t know where to start.

funkmasterp

A lot has changed since the storm that brought down lots of trees a couple of years ago. In my experience most of the cheeky routes are a bit rubbish unless they’ve dried out for a while.

Most of the good stuff was on the opposite side of the forest to charity. Down charity, bottom of the oven and along the road back to the forest. There was a good bit off the small car park just before you re-enter the forest bridleway. Think that might have been wrecked in the storm though. Not sure what condition white rabbit and the downhill course are in nowadays.

snapperdan
    Free Member

If Foel G is anything to go by it should be plenty dry enough!

carlos
    Free Member

@snapperdan- have a look at The Cloud in Bosley as well.

Macc Forest – start at the bench on Nessit Hill for the DH stuff, then just talk to whoever you bump into. Its changing all the time and new stuff popping up, old stuff being given some TLC.

Basically – turn up, explore and enjoy. Its riding pretty well now its dried out👍😉

snapperdan
    Free Member

Thanks @carlos sounds like it’s worth an explore had a look on Strava segment explorer and the Forest in the Goyt valley and Lyme Park look worth a look too…

Will check out Tbe Cloud…

carlos
    Free Member

Goyt- either side of The Street,yeah and coue bits further towards Taxal but still in the trees.
    Lyme Park – hmmm, only a couple if bits and last time I rode them they were overgrown and not worth the effort. Also super cheeky as its NT property.

snapperdan
    Free Member

Thanks again @carlos – my LBS told me there was a fair bit of stuff around Lyme Park near Bowstones and The Knott…

Will definitely explore the Goyt too, even if I can’t find tracks in the woods there’s some great bridleways round there.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Lyme Park is more of an XC ride IMO, with so so/average short descents with quite a lot of boring bits inbetween. I’ve done most of them including Bowstones, Lantern Woods (think Ratboy) the one into Potts Wrigley near where they run the Brinks Enduro! Theres a few free ride lines dotted about and steep rock drops in the Knott, but they’re really short and not proper trails as such.

Stypersons is another not well known, unofficial spot just outside Lyme Park! Easily accessible from the Middlewood way and canal! It’s a small place but full of jumps, drops and steep chutes. The Wacky Woods descent is pretty steep!

Goyt Valley has some really good steep technical trails with off camber roots, steep chutes, drops and gap jumps. Like Macc forest some of the trails can be a real challenge in wet conditions, rut up and are easily damaged. They’re also affected by felling and fallen trees! It is very much a bike hate area, which attracts a lot of attention from tourists and dog walkers, due to the close proximity of free car parking. Hence you don’t and won’t see it discussed in detail.

Macc Forest is really good as well. The trails can be tricky when wet, rut up and are easily damaged, being predominately loam trails like Goyt Valley. Magic Mary and moto style tyres are king in these areas outside the driest months of summer!

Here:

snapperdan
    Free Member

Thanks @Chestercopperpot some great info there – I really like that You Tube channel he’s a tasty rider that Lad! Macc looks ace on that vid.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Loads in Macc & the goyt. Most of it us on Strava so just have a look on segment explorer.
    An easy one to find at macc starts just behind the weather station at the top of Charity lane. Go just past the station and climb over the fence into the trees. You’ll see an opening and probably tyre tracks where others have gone through before.

snapperdan
    Free Member

Thanks @bloodyshins some useful info there, been having a look at Strava and there’s quite a bit of stuff on there.

Was planning to check out Macc on Monday, but headed to Farmer Johns for a quick sesh instead.

Had a brain freeze on a big drop and a massive crash – should have gone to Macc!!

AlexSimon

Problem with Macc Forest is that it’s not really loam – clay is just under the surface making it very slippy when wet compared to others. It’s always such a surprise when I go to Golfie/Inners or even a few others in The Peak and grip for miles!

Thankfully everything is bone dry at the moment and running great!

Hope you aren’t too damaged from your crash snapperdan!

snapperdan
    Free Member

Thanks Alex just a large bruise thankfully!

funkmasterp

Anybody up for a Macc meet up? I’m badly out of shape and need to get on the bike. Embarrassing myself around strangers could shame me in to shape. I live on the road that leads to the forest which makes it worse considering how little riding I’ve done recently.

Anybody have vague directions to Stypersons? Sounds like a nice canal bimble with some proper riding in the middle.

snapperdan
    Free Member

I’m up for that one evening next week funkmasterp.

Up at the in-laws and riding at Hamsterley this weekend. I’m pretty unfit at the moment too!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Book marking as recently moved to the area and don’t know any of the riding round macc or goyt

AlexSimon

The main entrance at the top of Stypersons is here:
    https://goo.gl/maps/EHDjHAeKFV72

There are tons of great trails around, but they are 90% cheeky, so it’s always difficult to talk about them on a forum. The fact there isn’t a single bridleway in the whole of the Goyt is a complete travesty!

Also one man’s XC ride is another’s tech-fest, so it’s difficult to advise.

We ride from The Turners Arms in Bollington every Thursday at 6:30 (50% local, 50% driving to another start point).

carlos
    Free Member

Anybody have vague directions to Stypersons? Sounds like a nice canal bimble with some proper riding in the middle.

If your riding easiest is to come off the Middlewood Way just at the North End of the Viaduct (new estate on the left) in Bollington, Right out of the carpark upto the Main Road. Left along the Main Road, through the lights at the Aquaduct and there is a nice Church on the left after about 200m. Turn Left up Beeston Brow and just follow your nose. The top of the Stypersons trails are opposite the Works Entrance (about 600m from the Church)

If you’re driving SK10 5SD should get you close enough but there is very limited parking space

To finish we tend to ride down through the woods to Sugar Lane, jib right then 1st left down a track to the Canal.The back to Bollington for a few Beers

jekkyl

Over the Hill into the Goyt is far drier I’ve found. I’m this side of the hill so it’s hard for me to drive into the Goyt valley, as the road that winds back up to the Cat n’ fiddle is one way.. so we tend to park at The Cat n’ Fiddle & drop in across the top, all cheeky of course.. but I/we usally ride after tea time in the week so don’t come across many people walking, across the path to Shining Tor then down to the all runs down from Foxlow edge. I’d be up for cycling with other folks in the area, I’m more of a bimbleXc rider rather than drops & sessioning kindaguy though. 🙂

funkmasterp

I’m an utterly unskilled rider but up for giving anything a go. Things are tricky with work and a young family, but I’d love to meet up locally. I’ve lived in Macc for six years, but only really know the forest, tracks around Dane Bower and Cumberland Brook. Would be great to add more choices.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Macc Forrest Off Piste and DH’ is closed to new replies.