• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by cb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • MacBook Pro BSOD!
  • cb

Advice from Mac experts appreciated….

2015 MBP has just died. Apple phone support tried but couldn’t solve the issue.

Power up and the logo screen and power bar appear, get 80% loaded and the black screen appears.

Tried the hold down r and command buttons and using disk utility but the start up drive doesn’t show. Also tried the power and alt button options but external hard drive doesn’t show either.

I have OWC after market ssd, one of which failed a couple of years ago! Looks like another has bricked it!

Are there any other things to try?

The WD external hard drive also bricked itself last week, which I hope is coincidence?

I would happily buy the new mbp if I could find one but I think they’re all sold out as well!

Questions pls. Is there a good after market ssd that I am likely to find in a curry’s type shop? Samsung or similar that would work with a Mac. Can’t be arsed spending hundreds on an apple version for a machine that will be replaced in weeks. Work laptop so in somewhat urgent need!

Thanks

seosamh77
    Free Member

you should be able to plug in any ssd via usb c and install macos on that. and just run from the external for a bit if you are replacing.

I use a samsung t5 for back up purposes.

timbo46
    Free Member

Amazon have the new macbook pros in stock.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the-muffin-man

Jigsaw 24 are showing stock…

https://www.jigsaw24.com/apple/mac/macbook-pro

scrumfled
    Free Member

2015 mbp’s had a proprietary connector. From what you’ve said, you’re better off biting the bullet and replacing the machine.

cb

Very expensive solution achieved at JL…

codybrennan
    Free Member

See if you can get it into diagnostics mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202731

timbo46
    Free Member

“Very expensive solution achieved at JL…”
    lol

Jamze

Those OWCs are supposed to have a 5-year guarantee – are they failing within warranty?

Another 1TB OWC is £165 on Amazon. Unless you’re sure all your software runs on M1, I’d stick I think.

cb

I will return the owc one again and no doubt they’ll eventually replace it but they send it back to the states! I’ll sell it when the new one is sent!

Will get another brand as a replacement to keep the old mbp operational but this new MBP is pretty impressive!! That is after another 60 quid on bloody adapters!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

This thread and links thereon reminded me to retire my late 2012 Mac Mini to streaming duties and buy a new basic 2020 beast for work/guitar editing from Amazon. It arrives tomorrow. Thanks to all.
    I’m not too certain I’ll get 9 years ttouble free use from the new one…

mrmoofo

Sounds like mine when I FUBARed it by not earthing myself before replacing the battery!
    I got a nice man to restate everything and I recovered most stuff from a back up …

cb

Update on this. The old machine got sorted by Apple. £199 for a new battery – SSD was fine! Because the machine was in good condition, they only charged for the battery but replaced the whole keyboard assembly! If I’d waited a week I could have saved myself the cost of the new MBP but new stuff is good!

easily
    Free Member

199 pounds for a new battery!?

Cougar

A failed battery would stop it booting?

cb

They managed to get it to boot in store – at which time they determined it was the battery. Diagnostics suggested everything else was fine.

And yes, £199 for a battery! It had been ragged for 5.5 years though. Was pushing 1000 cycles on the readout…they suggested that that was a lot.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘MacBook Pro BSOD!’ is closed to new replies.