Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mac – White screen of non-descriptiveness?
  • Toasty

This seems like a good place to ask this one..

I had Windows/Bootcamp installed on my company MacBook Pro today, that I use at home. Curiously now, on startup, it just sits on a white screen for about 5 minutes, then boots up Windows.

I don’t actually seem to get any choice of OS on boot, does this mean the Mac partition has died?

Cheers!

scaredypants

it’s just giving you the full windows experience 😆

(actually I’m a pc user but had to be said by somebody)

p8ddy
    Free Member

Easiest way to tell…

Restart your mac and immediately press the option key. That should take you to the boot menu. Choose your osX partition and hopefully it’ll boot from there. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Toasty

Fine by me, it was the full Mac experience that prompted the Windows install request 😉

Cheers p8ddy, I’ll give it a go. Just spotted that I can tell it to boot MacOS from Bootcamp in the system tray, giving that a quick try.

geoffj
    retro83
    Free Member

edit: too slow!

p8ddy
    Free Member

Oh…. also – zap your p-ram. That’s worked for me in the past. Dead easy to do –

1. Start your mac
    2. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
    3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    4. Release the keys.

Toasty

Oh, Mac OS works 🙂 It looks like the white screen is the standard startup screen, but without the Apple logo and progress bar. Maybe this is normal.

I can pilfer the license key I needed from Mac OS now anyway, so I’m happy.

Cheers all!

p8ddy
    Free Member

Good news! 🙂

Toasty

I’ll try pram zapping and all these other crazy things you iKids do while I’m there though.

Totally not trying to start and argument, but probably doing it anyway. I was amazed how awkward some things were to do in Mac OS, given it’s reputation, it feels very like Ubuntu to me if anything.

I’d assume if you’re just using it for running applications and browsing it’s all very closed off and easy, but faffing around trying to install all the Android bits, get Eclipse going etc. Curiously ended up doing things in terminal as it was more of a comfort zone than Finder.

People at work looked disappointed in me when I asked for Windows to be installed 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

I’d assume if you’re just using it for running applications and browsing it’s all very closed off and easy, but faffing around trying to install all the Android bits, get Eclipse going etc. Curiously ended up doing things in terminal as it was more of a comfort zone than Finder.

I think that is the beauty of OS-X, if you aren’t technical it just works, if you want to fiddle there is a huge amount you can do, there are a LOT of tools within terminal if you want to explore.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mac – White screen of non-descriptiveness?’ is closed to new replies.