Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mac OSX Mavericks upgrade to El-Capitan
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

I’ve an old Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) that doesn’t meet the requirements for Sierra, and I want to upgrade to either Yosemite or El Capitan. Is there any legal way to get the installer files to do this? Going via the Ap Store just gives me Sierra and says I can’t upgrade.

Luckily I have another Mac and I’d upgraded it to Yosemite, so in my Purchases I can download Yosemite. But there’s no easy/clear way to get El Capitan. And If I didn’t have the other machine, I’d be stuck on Mavericks.

Have I missed something or is this the way it is and I’ve got to go into and Apple shop to upgrade?

rossburton
    Free Member

https://7labs.heypub.com/tips-tricks/el-capitan-direct-download.html suggests ways around it but unless you’ve upgraded in the past you’re stuck without a trivial solution apparently. That’s a bit rubbish.

maccruiskeen

I’ve been able to buy older OS installers on a dongle from the Apple Store (the physical shop rather than online) in the past.

rosscore
    Free Member

Don’t, I’m trying to find a way of returning my mid 2009 MBook to Mavericks, Yosemite slowed it down and caused a few other issues, currently not emptying the trash being one of them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP have a search on say Apple Support or Macrumors or post a forum question there.

I would add that the later OS do need 4GB RAM, I put one of Mavericks/Yosemiti on an 2008 MBP but I added RAM to 4GB and an SSD. It runs pretty well but without these upgrades it would be a struggle. My 2009 Mac Mini runs El Capitan fine with 8GB Ram and a decent spinning hard drive (not ssd)

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I’ve already upgraded to SSD and 8GB RAM so that should be OK, thanks for the warning though.

I’m going to try reinstalling l this afternoon, downloaded mavericks and Yosemite from my purchases last night, and see how it goes.

It just seems odd that unless you’ve upgraded constantly, it’s very easy to get locked out with no easy way to upgrade.

Sandwich

Email for me in my profile, same address for iMessage. Contact me for a postal address and then you can send an 8GB min USB stick and I’ll organise an installer for you. It’s about 20 mins work in terminal and most of that is letting the software do the job.

It’s the anniversary of Jenns passing this weekend a small donation to one of her charities to cover post from me and we’re good to go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mac OSX Mavericks upgrade to El-Capitan’ is closed to new replies.