Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mabie's secrets
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

What can I say – had a great ride today despite my legs feeling like lead these last few days – must do some more stretching.

Seems like the trail pixies have been working their magic on certain parts of Mabie’s secret stuff! Great work people.

I rode some new lines today and rode down some seriously steep slopes I normally wouldn’t. I also rode down the secret DH section, and did the final uber steep bit fine but then must have lost concentration after being relieved to have cleared it and a few metres ahead my front went into the roots of a tree, stayed there and I had quite a hard off, but luckily no lasting damage. Decided to quite while I was ahead as I wasn’t too sure about my shoulder.

But yeah, what a buzz when you manage to make it down super steep bits ay??

I only took one photo which doesn’t do justice at all to these sections, but will have to head back when I have a bit more energy and it’s sunny for some more photos. I did two loops, the first ending back on Descender Bender climb, then the second ending up going down the secret ‘DH’ track (not too sure if it has a name).

April 8th by simon ralli, on Flickr

Mugboo

Too many secrets !!

youngrob

I had a great day at Mabie today. Descender Bender is class now with those big berms! I need to get back down soon with more time so I can explore all the little trails I saw disappearing into the forest.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well the trail pixies in the secret parts have been putting in a few secret berms as well 🙂

I know we talk a lot about going down slabs, but I seem to be able to go down much steeper slops when they are soily. My bum was hanging right over the back of the rear tyre and it still felt I would go over the handle bars!

pottsathome
    Free Member

Secret berms ?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yes, little earthy ones in the woods to get round trees more quickly 🙂 And there are secret jumps too.

pottsathome
    Free Member

I ve ridden mabie a few times and never knew their were many secret trails

simonralli2
    Free Member
    pottsathome
    Free Member

Are their alot of people ride them

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well now you do – there are various areas all over the forest 🙂

pottsathome
    Free Member

Very good I ll look harder next time. Who builds them all

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Mr Richkid is the trail pixie responsible for most of the newest stuff and for maintaining some older bits, like clearing the wind fall on the double drops recently. Myself, Rik and a few others put in a lot of the older stuff way back.

The pipeline needs a bit of TLC.

pottsathome
    Free Member

Very good. I ll keep an eye out.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I did actually meet a lad there who claimed to be one of the builders. Didn’t ask his name though. You can tell there are still plenty of locals riding these trails – loads of tracks in the mud.

There was also a new little bit of shore which I messed up the first time then nailed the second.

I’ll definitely have to make a little video of me shonking around these trails.

pottsathome
    Free Member

You would have thought you would try to keep them quiet.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Thing is most of these bits are well away from walkers and some are on what was the old red, so it is not exactly that secret. Mabie does not get a huge amount of bike traffic, not like Glentress. These secret bits are great fun for locals but I can’t see people travelling just for them – I think people will not come for the big berms and that kind of thing. “Elite” riders seem to poo poo Mabie and that is fine – they are missing out on some stuff that is just really good fun.

In Dalbeattie I also saw this sign for one of the secret trails there!

IMG_3864 by simon ralli, on Flickr

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mabie's secrets’ is closed to new replies.