Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • mabie and glentress: Is it icy??
  • radoggair
    Free Member

As above, fully rideable after todays mild conditions?

Prophet2
    Free Member

Prophet Jr and I did Gt today as well, nice and sunny, we didn’t do Spooky as we heard it was icy so just did blue climb to SuperG and came down the rest of the Red, no issues with ice, fin with Falle Brae. Great fun.

Trekster

Would imagine the worst of the ice has gone from Mabie. Most of the trail was OK last week with only a few icy bits. Worst sections were forest roads. The main car park was closed, might be worth calling the Rangesr before you go.

tappit
    Free Member

I was at Ae today, and it was very icy, thick ice with water on top, and flippin lethal, I thought it would have melted after the plus 7 temps, but it hadn’t.

Trekster

Always colder at Ae even though it is as near Dumfries as Mabie 🙄
    I was at Drumlanrig and other than the forest roads the trails were mostly clear of ice 😀

Stu

Any further update on Glentress conditions today?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I was at GT on Sunday and it was very icy in places, and the fire road to the Buzzards Nest carpark was closed to vehicles.
    I ended up going off piste as the main routes were worse where the snow has been compacted.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Was at GT today. Did the red and it was mostly pretty good, the top of the ascent through spooky wood was the worst for ice but still rideable. All good, with care in just a few places, but definately worth a visit.

Northwind

Yeah, we didn’t go up to Spooky but otherwise the red was almost clear and what ice there was, was easily managed. Incredible change from saturday when the road was a glacier down at Peel level.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Ae is like the twilight zone, I think it has its own climate.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Mabie totally clear on Sunday.

Stu

Thanks for the updates guys – might head out to Tress tonight.

giantonagiant

Planning on riding at Glentress tomorrow.

Will I die?

(Are there any parts I can avoid to avoid death?).

Thanks.

jodafett

I was at Glentress today. It was -4*C and the hard frost made the ice look quite grippy (it wasn’t!). I did the red then blue routes. The red route was mostly ice free apart from some small sections of Spooky Wood. Some of the upper sections of the blue had 50-100m stretches of complete ice and some of the fire roads were the hardest part of the route!

giantonagiant

Thanks Jodafett,

I’ll see how I go.

jodafett

You shouldn’t die but I’d take a phone with you. I saw two riders today so if you come off it could be a slow lingering death 😀 😯

munkyboy
    Free Member

What’s it like today, anyone been. Surely time to get a melt on?

willv

Mabie was great last night. Been pissin down all day here in dumfries today though

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I was at GT today, the ground was rock solid with a lot of extensive ice patches on the red route. Its not too bad off piste but the fireroads are pretty lethal too. Heavy rain started about 2 so it will either melt some ice overnight or be 10* worse tomorrow 😡

legolam
    Free Member

Any update on conditions in Mabie and Glentress from today? Thinking of heading to one of them tomorrow.

Liftman

Glentress is a lot better this morning, still a couple of icy sections on the fire roads and some icy spots on spooky but still fairly rideable.

If the weather stays this mild over the next few days the ice should be gone shortly.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Been warmer in Dumfries today so mabie will be a safeish bet. It will probably be more wet than ice for tomorrow. Usually plenty there on a Saturday who might be able to give an accurate update but should be fin

legolam
    Free Member

Anyone else?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Did sections of red and blue at GT today. Trails were riding really well, slightly moist but surprisingly dry! A few short sections of ice but nothing to be worried about. Fill yer boots!

supertacky
    Free Member

We were round the Red at GT today. Spooky wood descent had some very interesting bits to say the least. Below that your good to go.
    Brown Ice disguised as mud made for some interesting line choice.

Great to be out on the bike though.

Lovedit.

legolam
    Free Member

Ended up at Mabie as I’d heard there were still a few icy patches at the top of Spooky Wood, and a sketchy loop around Hamsterley in the ice yesterday didn’t fill me with confidence.

Really glad we tried out Mabie for the first time – I had a great day out. The red loop is a pretty decent workout and Descender Bender is now my favourite trail centre section (beating Spooky Woods and Berm Baby Berm into joint second place!). No ice, well drained, and excellent coffee in the shed at the end. Brilliant!

birney29
    Free Member

I was on Innerleithen XC today with Team Wonder Spaniel. 95% ice free. The higher elevevations / North facing slopes still have a fair few patches of ice. Some 50yd+ plus long.

Well worth getting out though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘mabie and glentress: Is it icy??’ is closed to new replies.