• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by rhid.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • M4 Bleeding
  • fozzyuk

Hi All, one for the masses please….

What do I need, if anything to reuse an avid bleed kit to bleed M4’s. Forked out enough on the Avid kit without another 30 quid for the Hope one.

I suspect its very little from a quick Google but I’m not sure if there’s an adapter etc that would make life that much easier?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Piece of pipe to go over the bleed nipple and a suitably sized spanner for said nipple. Other than that some fluid and an Allen key to take off the reservoir cap. No need for fancy kits IMO.

Onzadog
    Free Member

For hope, I use a syringe and a bit of pipe over the bleed nipple. The syringe was a few pence from the vet (50 ml). I like to bleed from the bottom up. I also have the avid bleed kit but It’s not worth trying to adapt it. It is worth following the dame method for bleeding though.

69er
    Free Member

What Neil said. No need for any fancy kit. One reason for buying Hope!

fozzyuk

Cool, hopefully the syringe on the avid kit will do the job then

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just bleed it top down in a conventional way. No kit needed apart from a bit of tube and a jam jar

mattjg
    Free Member

+1 TJ

Don’t buy the Hope kit, you dont need it and the bloody thing was dangerous in my experience – bad seal between bottle and tube resulted in fluid squirting across the garage.

Instructions at http://steveukmtb.wordpress.com/hope-brakes-bleeding/

It’s a 10 minute job after the first time. If anything you get a tad OCD about it. Make sure to get the calliper/pads/rotor nicely lined up.

fozzyuk

Just bleed it top down in a conventional way. No kit needed apart from a bit of tube and a jam jar

Means nothing to me sorry. Having only had Avids I only know the painful and very time consuming method using expensive kit, video, instructions, swearing, calliper rebuild, etc etc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fozzy – I am sure that vid is enough but… ( assuming mini lever not tech)

Remove top of master cylinder

Put tube on bleed nipple, end into jam jar on ground. Pull lever. open bleed nipple, hold lever in . close bleed nipple release lever and repeat – every 3 or 4 pulls of the lever top out reservoir

Trekster

Having tried the top down, hose and bottle on the nipple technique and failed to get rid of the air in my rear calliper I relented and took it to my lbs.
    His technique was from bottom up with a syringe and whilst pumping in fluid he tapped the calliper. Sorted within minutes and still OK 4mths on 😆

Put tube on bleed nipple, end into jam jar on ground.

[quote]
    It is best to have some fluid in the jar to cover the end of the hose to create a seal to start with

oldnick

Bottom up with a syringe, why not let the buoyancy of the bubbles help?

One vet syringe worth of brake fluid, all done in minutes 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Done mine plenty of times using the conventional method – no need for any fluid in the jar either. It just works – simple, straightforward and easy

duir
    Free Member

Fishtank tube from a petshop, fresh bottle of 5.1, a spanner and a empty plastic milk carton. Just make a hole in top of the carton and feed the tube in and attach to bleed nipple. Perfect results with hopes using gravity alone, absolutely no need for expensive kits. To ensure all air gone make sure bleed nipple is highest part of the caliper during bleed, adjust levers/reach for maximum throw and only do 2 pulls of lever before each refill of master cylinder. After a while no more air…..perfect. If tech levers make sure to do extra bit from hope video. The latest hopes rarely need a re-bleed.

rhid

How do you catch any fluid spilling from the lever master cylinder when you use bleed using the bottom up method?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘M4 Bleeding’ is closed to new replies.