Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lyriks – need some advice regarding clicking noise please.
  • stevede
    Free Member

Evening all,
    Just bought some 2nd hand lyrik rc2 dh solo air forks which have apparently been recently serviced by tf including the mission control damper service. Just fitted them to my enduro and set them up, on the quick car park test on high speed compressions at about 50% travel they click, I can’t feel it through the bars so its not clunky but doesn’t sound right to me, they feel smooth through the travel at slow speed. Was hoping to test them out tomorrow but not sure this is wise. I’ve contacted the seller but would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on the matter.
    Cheers,
    Steve

hora
    Free Member

Seen proof that they were serviced recently?

A few times, pressed sellers admitted recent service was say Jan12 but stored/not used after. Yeah cos you spend 70quid+ for fun 😆

stevede
    Free Member

No proof as of yet hora but he seemed genuine, bought off pinkbike but the chaps a regular on here too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ryreed
    Free Member

Don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news but there is a possibility it is the CSU (crown steerer unit). Mine made a clicking noise, particularly under braking or on heavier/faster compressions.

Thread

This can get expensive, so hopefully it’s down to something else but clicking is a good description of the noise made when the stanchions become un-bonded from the yoke. Good luck.

Servicing wouldn’t really have anything to do with it if this were the problem.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Check the obvious first, headset, crown race & stem. All these would have been removed to fit the new fork.

Is the noise still there with no HS or LS damping? Try upping & lowering the air pressure in the fork and see if the noise still persists.

I have coil versions that click, but I know it’s the spring. If all else fails lowers off and steer-tube in the vice it is.

hora
    Free Member

See proof of the recent service first.

If it creaked for you it creaked for the old owner. How long have you had them?

butterbean
    Free Member

Do you know what side they are clicking on?

I’ve had a few sets that have clicked under compression on the air cartridge side, I spoke to a few people about it & the general consensus was ‘yeah they do that sometimes, we can fix it, but it will probably come back’.

I can’t remember exactly what it was that was making the noise, something about an air piston glide ring from memory, but no-one seemed to think it was an issue.

stevede
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, I got the forks yesterday and fitted today, headset was regreased whilst I had the access, tried lower and higher air pressures (although not really low yet), compression dials both fully on and off and in the middle. No creaking, just a click that sounds like the right (damper) leg at about half travel, obviously I know I should’ve asked for proof of service – I’ve Messaged the seller and am waiting for a response and maybe some info on the noise from his side.

hora
    Free Member

Ive had this 3 times. Twice the forks were refunded. One occassion a discount to keep. All three times the forks were from regular stw’ers (2003 to 2010’ish).

Some people think heli-taping can mean good condition

chvck
    Free Member

I can’t think of anything that could possibly click on the damper side. You could pull the unit out and have a look (don’t have to remove any oil to do this) to see if anything looks amiss. I’d probably just ride them, but that’s me!

Wozza
    Free Member

My coils click if I have the low speed over 75% firm. It’s the damping side and its only on the top out as far as I can tell. Not too fussed, but it is off putting when you don’t know where it’s coming from.

stevede
    Free Member

I’m going to give them a ride tomorrow and see how they perform, the seller has been spot on and seems like a top chap

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lyriks – need some advice regarding clicking noise please.’ is closed to new replies.