Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Lyrik VS Fox 36
  • TheGhost
    Free Member

Which is stiffest the Lyrik or the Fox 36?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Or hold out for the EXT that’s just around the corner?

mboy
    Free Member

Fox 36 is a little bit stiffer, but not by so much it really matters.

GRIP2 damper is miles better than the stock Rockshox offerings mind!

joebristol

Is the Grip2 really miles better than an RC2 charger damper? Most reviews suggest they’re pretty even and just squeak the Lyrik Ultimate as the better of the 2 vs the Fox 36 Factory.

I’d hope the Fox was stiffer as it has bigger diameter stanchions….although they’ve still felt the need to design the 38.

dandasbike
    Free Member

the grip 2 damper really isn’t better, i have three friends that have gone from 36 to lyrik ultimate and couldn’t be happier. they don’t creak either

Onzadog
    Free Member

The changes to the new 36 look interesting though.

mboy
    Free Member

they don’t creak either

Neither do my 36’s… Unlike quite a few Lyriks I’ve come across!

Always gonna be a hot topic this… I’m firmly back in the Fox camp for now though.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Dampers aside. I’m on the larger side for a human so I’m after the stiffest.

Now if fox had only made the 38 in 150mm travel I’d be sorted.

TheGhost
    Free Member

For reference I have a 29 Pike and a 27.5 Fox 36 ebike fork – although I don’t have an ebike.

They are both good but the Pikes a bit noodley at 150mm

chiefgrooveguru

“For reference I have a 29 Pike and a 27.5 Fox 36 ebike fork – although I don’t have an ebike.”

The ebike 36 is stiffer than the normal 36 and a 27.5 fork is always stiffer for the same travel as a 29 of the same type (40mm less leverage from the contact patch to the crown).

A friend of mine swears by the 36
    being stiffer than the Lyrik – but recently he’s replaced the 36 with a Boxxer!

“I’d hope the Fox was stiffer as it has bigger diameter stanchions”

If you watch some of the super slo-mo hucks on PinkBike you’ll see that the crown:steerer is one of the bendiest bits on a fork! And I suspect the stanchion walls on a Lyrik are thicker than on a 36. From those slo-mo clips I’m also fairly convinced that bikes with longer headtubes are stiffer!

RickDraper
    Free Member

I believe Manitou tested them all and claim the Mezzer was slightly stiffer than the Lyrik in testing and quite a bit stiffer than the 36. Make of that what you will.

chiefgrooveguru

“I believe Manitou tested them all and claim the Mezzer was slightly stiffer than the Lyrik in testing and quite a bit stiffer than the 36. Make of that what you will.”

Google just found me this:

“Manitou Mezzer
    The Manitou Mezzer is here! lets get into some details!

37mm Chassis that is the stiffest single crown fork on the market.

Torsionally, the Mezzer is 30% stiffer than a Fox 36, 16% stiffer than a Ohlins RFX36, 1% stiffer than a Lyrik

Fore-aft, the Mezzer is 7% stiffer than a 36, 20% stiffer than a RFX, and 4% stiffer than a Lyrik”

tomhoward

Now if fox had only made the 38 in 150mm travel I’d be sorted.

Have they said a 150mm airshaft wont be available? (Like you couldn’t buy a 140mm 36, but the parts were available aftermarket from Fox.)

Northwind

IME Fox are always less stiff for the equivalent size- the entire reason they created the 34 was that the long travel 32s were so much less stiff than the equivalent 32mm revelation, frinstance. My 36s are in the same ballpark as my same-year Pikes, though both are the previous model now. Not sure why that should be the case so consistently, maybe it’s something in their design or maybe it’s just that they like that they can add 2 to the number every few years and create a load of excitement about their new forks?

poah
    Free Member

Fox 36 -> Lyric -> Mezzer -> Fox 38

Mezzer has better damper and air spring mind you while the 38 is a boat anchor.

carbonroadrat
    Free Member

Poah, whats your view point based on? you’ve rode and owned all four fork?

poah
    Free Member

dampers are set up for different people and ranges – if you fall within that range then it will work for you. As for the air spring, fox and manitou didn’t have to issue a new system to correct a poorly designed one. manitou also have the IRT which makes a huge difference to the spring.

bigyan
    Free Member

Depends how long you keep forks? I would not buy a fork with a new charger damper if I was keeping it out of warranty as RockShox dont sell damper parts other than a seal head and glide ring in the 200h service kits. Out of warranty a split bladder, leak from adjusters etc is buy a complete damper. (unless WSS or similar start making parts).

If you want the stiffest why not just run a dual crown fork with a shorter air shaft?
    Also means you can run a 20mm hub/axle for stiffness. (lowers are then bolted together rather than just pulled together from one side)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I would say the Lyrik is stiffer. I’ve not spend any extensive time on the Ultimate RC2 version, so can’t compare between the performance of each. I think it’s pretty much parity right now though.

The one thing Fox have going for them is less plastic inside though.

That said, the rate at which i’ve gone through CSU’s on the 36, is scary. I thought the old Pikes were bad for creaking, but these are another level. The E-Bike ones are more beefy, and heavier – but more reliable.

This is the issue. We all want great performance from a single crown fork, with long service intervals & a 2kg weight limit. I don’t need/want a Fox 38 on a trail bike & i’m not riding it ‘that’ hard.

The new EXT fork sounds interesting though 🙂

carbonroadrat
    Free Member

Poah so which of the forks do you have real world experience? None?

TheGhost
    Free Member

Bigyan, I can’t go dual crown I’m on a hardtail 🙂 It would look awful.

chiefgrooveguru

“Bigyan, I can’t go dual crown I’m on a hardtail 🙂 It would look awful.”

gribble
    Free Member

I’ve nothing helpful to add on this, but am interested as I’ve just bought a Fox 36 (new, taken from an ebike), but intend to use it on a regular non ebike full suss frame.

Biggest fork I’ve ever had is a Pike, so I’m not qualified to comment on the above…

I’ve got a 2019 Lyrik on the front of my 50lb e-bike and it’s plenty stiff enough – and great small bump compliance. Isn’t that something Fox have struggled with, or have they addressed that now?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik VS Fox 36’ is closed to new replies.