Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lyrik RC2 Damper Help Please!
  • timbog160

Evening all

Just fitting a 2019 airshaft and damper to my Lyriks. All tickety boo except that the compression adjusters on the damper seem to have no discernible effect (both high and low speed). Rebound adjustment works fine and the difference between max and min is very pronounced – any help appreciated as to what may be causing this. The other thing I’ve noticed is that when turning the HSC adjuster clockwise it can easily be clicked beyond the max position and back to the lowest setting – can anybody confirm if this is normal? It can’t be turned the other way ie it has a hard stop on the min setting.

Cheers all!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Its the same with Fox forks – I can never tell a difference through cycling the forks. The none-cynical part of my brain says that high speed compression cannot be felt in the car park test because you cant generate the shaft speeds necessary to engage it. The cynical part of my brain tells me its all just snake oil and the knobs do sod all. If they do make a difference I have yet to notice it on any fork even when taking some big hits and drops on the trail.

chiefgrooveguru

I just went and checked my Lyrik RC2 and the HSC can’t be turned past max (or min). Five positions with solid clicks for each.

timbog160

Thanks both – my sense is I have a problem so I’ll give TF a call see if they can help. I removed the damper again to see if I could feel a difference by hand and there is definitely no adjustment. Conversely the RCT3 damper I removed has a very clear difference when adjusted. Here’s hoping it’s not expensive!

timbog160

Spoke to TF – their view was HSC adjustment won’t necessarily be detectable at a stand, but there should be a hard stop at both ends of the adjustment so as a minimum that indicates a problem. Sending it back shortly for them/ SRAM to look at so back to previous damper for moment…

ndthornton
    Free Member

I don’t think its broken, my take on it is…

I have both the RCT3 and the RC2 and mine feels the same. The RCT3 has three distinct settings for low speed compression (open, pedal, firm) and then a fine tuning for the low speed compression on the open mode and no high speed adjustment at all. The fine tuning I can feel no difference from open to closed. Its definitely intended for trail riding.

I think the RC2 has effectively just the fine tuning but on both High and Low speed compression. I think its designed without a pedal or locked mode in mind but instead to provide more tuning options in the open mode. As such is intended for endur0 or DH riding rather than trail with more nuanced settings for fanatical fiddlers. I cant personally tell any difference in any of the settings because I am about as sensitive to subtleties in suspension feel as a brick.

Note the first ever use of the word nuanced in a bike related thread 🙂

timbog160

Just to add – I can feel a slight difference when adjusting the LSC – and with the damper removed I can feel the shim stack (?) moving inside the bladder when adjusting, so I think it is just this lock stop issue needs looking at. Frustrating but I’d rather have it right…

ndthornton
    Free Member

Ah yes – missed that
    If its not coming to a stop there is definitely a problem

timbog160

Just to close this down – realised when I looked at the receipt I’d bought it from J-Tech so I sent it back and they sorted and sent back in 3 days. The damper was working fine and the problem with it spinning all the way round was caused by the return spring, which they’ve replaced. Apparently they will all do it if you try hard enough, but normally there should be a decent amount of resistance to prevent it.

So big +1 for JTech from me 👍

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik RC2 Damper Help Please!’ is closed to new replies.