Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lyrik Compression upgrade – TTMA
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

Well my lovely Meta AM has all its components now, so the next thing is the fork. I got the basic MiCo Coil Lyrik (RC2L), as I wanted coil, and I managed to grab one of the last ones I could see (missed the MiCoDH ones). My original intention was to replace with MiCoDH, but I’m open to suggestions, I know of avalanche cartridges, but in all honesty, don’t think I need that level of pro suspension for my riding, and it involves taking a drill to the lowers, and that’s a bit too much for me… 😐

I’m getting on very well with the forks as they are, still tweaking a bit, i’m not utterly wowed by them but I do like them a lot. Will be buying next month, so this is a what’s out there, real world experience gathering exercise, prior to making a decision.

So thoughts and experiences please, and Mr Loco, if you’re about do you do things down this line? DH internals or an alternative?

Northwind

I removed the poplock from my standard mico lyriks, which gets them within a bawhair of the DHs. Free, reasonably simple and reversible- give it a try, nowt to lose. Some folks change around oil after this mod, I didn’t feel any need.

Fitted foam rings (“boxxer mod” some call this) to replace the oil seals at the last service which made a little difference, though in all honesty I couldn’t tell you what was the seals and what was the service. TF sell the bits and also a low-drag seal set which I’m just trying in my Boxxers, but which also work in Lyriks. (my Lyriks get less love than my Boxxers so I’m a wee bit wary of those)

TBH after these wee tweaks I’ve no desire to change them more, they’re mint… One of the few bike components I’m completely happy with.

messiah
    Free Member

I’m very impressed with the Avalanche Cartridge recently fitted in my Float forks… in combo with the rear shock I am getting a “wow” from them… but it probably is overkill unless your sure of what your trying to improve.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind – no poploc on them, hate the things if I’m honest :-).

What I’m trying to improve. This is something I struggle to express, but I sometimes get the feeling I’m a small adjustment away from something special. I think my lack of experience of other forks and suspension isn’t helping me here by way of no frame of reference. I’m going to set some time aside to session a few bits of trail, changing settings and trying to get to grips with what I want/might be lacking, its around the high speed end, but exactly what, I can’t put into words yet. But i get the feeling of slight disconnect.

Northwind

Maybe I used the wrong term, the difference between the normal Mico and the Mico DH is the lockout/poploc/thingmy that you activate by fannying around with the little compression dial. But even when not engaged its still basically in the oil flow and impacts the fork’s performance a little. So get rid of that, and you’ve got something very much like a DH.

flyingmonkeycorps

I *think* Mr Northwind is referring to the Floodgate removal mod? There’s a tutorial on it on Pinkbike. Supposedly makes them a bit plusher, I’ve not got round to trying it myself though.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Ah, I’m with you, was wondering how that made much difference unless the spring load for the remote did something…

Hadn’t realised you could do that. presume once inside the comp cartridge its pretty obvious?

I’ll have a poke and let you know Will.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have done the DH mod on my Lyriks and it is great.

Here is the video, there is an article somewhere but I cant find it right now.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/146846/

EDIT: Found it.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-lyric-mod-2010.html

Northwind

Floodgate, that’s it! So many bloomin names for the same thing. Cheers FMC

unklehomered
    Free Member

Cheers I_Ache, liking the sounds of this! think it could be the tweak I’m after… Small Bump Sensitivity sounds like the words I was looking for…

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s on my to do list. After sorting the bearings on the Hemlock and setting up new wheels tubeless.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik Compression upgrade – TTMA’ is closed to new replies.