Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Lynskey Ridgeline -v- Shedfire Ragley Ti…
  • karnali
    Free Member

the lecht rocks intersted in your ti 456 as well, if you sell email is martin_varey@yahoo.com

rj
    Free Member

Ed-O, I’m in Glasgow.

ChrisS
    Free Member

I must admit I’m curious about the pricing. I thought the whole idea of On-One was to keep the prices down by selling direct and cutting out the overheads of selling through shops. Yet, if I understand this right, the Ragley is going to be sold through LBS via Hotlines and yet still be competitive price wise with the On-One Ti456?

kelvin

Not ridden any of the bikes mentioned, but the Ragley thing looks prettier (in it’s pre-production form) than either of the other two. If that matters to you.

brant
    Free Member

And I’ve finally worked out the cable routing – by copying Nico’s Lapierre 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

When are we going see these price changes reflected in bike frames?

brant
    Free Member

ooOOoo – if you want to map the £ to the $ against that you’ll probably get some interesting results.

Lynskey aren’t seeing any drop in certified manufactured tube pricing.

Ben_Haworth

My personal 2p’s worth… the Ragley’s head angle is not too slack… it’s slack seat angles that you ruin a bike not head angles… the not-mahoosive standover of the Ragley is offset by being able to genuinely drop the saddle ALL the way down ’til it hits the seat tube top… if you’re over 6ft get the 18in as the 16in will be an endo-machine on slow-steep-tech… the geometry feels 100% bang-on for what the Ragley has been designed to do… i’d still go for an aluminium frame rather than ti…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Doesn’t look that different 🙂

Maybe their tube suppliers will see a drop soon? I hope so!

brant
    Free Member

i’d still go for an aluminium frame rather than ti…

Sample ready in 3 days. Choosing paint now.

wors

when will the sample be ready to .. erm sample?

willsimmons
    Free Member

ooOOoo – is that tongue in cheek? Consider the exchange rate of $ to £, what currency Lynskey (and the other american handmade Ti companies) buy Ti in and then what currency us Brits have to buy in. Cheers Gordon!

Essentially the same shafting that we are getting by the Yen, Shimano and all the other Far East gear e.g. Trek, Giant, Specialized etc.

Ben_Haworth
    Ed-O
    Free Member

Sample ready in 3 days. Choosing paint now.

WOOP!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You can see the spike on the lower graph where the pound fell on it’s arse. But even allowing for that I was surprised by how much Ti has fallen. A 60%-80% drop is pretty noticable. I can’t find figures for further back than 3 years though.
    Agree about the yen etc. Very glad/lucky I bought my Remedy back in July.

willsimmons
    Free Member

ooOOoo I know what you’re saying but by the time we Brits buy it, either a UK framebuilder selling to UK customers or as customer from an American framebuilder, any drop in Ti price is swallowed up by our faltering economy. Any Ti to be mined in the UK?

There’s always some excuse about prices though, first it was raw materials going up, now they’re going down but the exchange rate is taking care of the difference.

Going off on a tangent but it is shocking just how far reaching economy troubles are. As a non-homeowner I thought I’d be alright but a trip to the bike shop to buy a few shimano spares proved otherwise!!

Frame looks nice by the way. Not my kind of thing but I am sure it will be popular!

the_lecht_rocks

guitarhero – you raise some interesting and valid points, however, the slacker HA appeals to me, as WOULD a tapered 1.5 to 1.125 HT and ISCG mounts.
    long top tubes are great for trail riders, and 50/70mm stems are great with long travel forks. i have no problem with the dimensions or angles.

so Brant, when will the true hardcore Ragley be available 😈

FB-ATB

Ben- are they going to stock the Ragley too?

Re the pricing of Ti- although it looks dramatic, dropping from £10/kg to £2/kg, how much does a frame weigh? If it weighs 10kg, the price drop of the raw metal in the frame will only be £80. So on a c£1k bike there’s a lot of conversion costs included to get from ingot to tubing to bike.

Also, the manufacturer may have bought the metal at forward rates.

jupiter
    Free Member

I was hoping that the Tweak Mmm-bop (is it still called that) would be anodized.

brant
    Free Member

I was hoping that the Tweak Mmm-bop (is it still called that) would be anodized.

Oh yeah, that’s a good point. I wonder why I forgot and was trying to paint it. lolz.

guitarhero
    Free Member

the slacker HA appeals to me, as WOULD a tapered 1.5 to 1.125 HT and ISCG mounts.

ISCG Mounts? Let me guess… HammerSchmidt?

Ed-O
    Free Member

Ed-O, I’m in Glasgow.

Come down and try it in Calderdale rj, after all Brant has just been all the way up to Peebles for a bike ride!

Trekster

Ed-o..could I have a go next weekend? Heading down that way, well over to Wetherby but fancy a look, see, try. I it a shop demo?

Ed-O
    Free Member

Ed-o..could I have a go next weekend? Heading down that way, well over to Wetherby but fancy a look, see, try. I it a shop demo?

Sure thing, send me an email (click on my name on the thread to find it) and we can sort out the details. It’s not a shop demo, it’s one of two pre-production prototypes.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

brant, i’ve got near half a tonne of 6/4 titanium, swap for a frame or two 😀

ChrisS
    Free Member

So how does one decided between an On-One Ti 456 and a Tweak Bikes Ragley? Superficially similar top tube length, seat angle, chainstay length and BB height, the main difference appears to be slacker Ragley head angle….

guitarhero
    Free Member

get the ragley if you’re “edgy”

and have long legs

the_lecht_rocks

guitarhero – how similar will the Ragley be to the Hummer in your opinion ?
    geometrically, the ti456 is much more similar to the ragley other than HA (69.5 456 -v- 67.5 ragley -v- 68 hummer)
    ragley has same TT as Ragley, same SA , 0.1″ lower BB height and 0.02″ shorter chainstay….. 😯
    hummer has a shorter TT, higher BB and shorter chainstay, lending it a more lofty feel…..

brant
    Free Member

guitarhero – how similar will the Ragley be to the Hummer in your opinion ?

which Hummer?

the_lecht_rocks

Brant – 2006 onwards Hummer….
    post above now edited for clarity 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

Looks like a hummer to me, same head angle (adjusted for forks)
    looks like more than half an inch less standover than the ti456 too (which when your short legged/long bodied matters)
    If a 16″ with a 23.5″ TT appears, i’ll be all over it like a rash though

guitarhero
    Free Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shedfire/3408347391/

Hardcore hardtail + gate = incompatible.

Sorry

nickc

Hardly a gate though

brant
    Free Member

If a 16″ with a 23.5″ TT appears, i’ll be all over it like a rash though

So you’re worried about a “missing” 0.5in (12mm)?

Tell you what – go study the effects of seat angle on reach to the bars, compare the Ragley with anything.

I bet you’ll be telling me it’s too long next.

brant
    Free Member

When I say seat angle I mean seat angle. Actual. Real. Measured.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Er,

I may be being a bit thick here but ooOOoo’s graphs seem to indicate that a Titanium frames actual material costs about 3 quid before tubes are made and welded.

If Aluminium was half the price of Titanium then that would mean a Titanium frame should only cost £1.50 more than an Aluminium one.

I assume that Titanium is significantly more difficult to make into tubes – but does it really cost 100’s of percent more?

guitarhero
    Free Member

So you’re worried about a “missing” 0.5in (12mm)?

Tell you what – go study the effects of seat angle on reach to the bars, compare the Ragley with anything.

I bet you’ll be telling me it’s too long next.

I’m not a bike designer so I’ll not argue with you, cause you’ll win.
    Here’s what i know
    I bought an 18″ Hummer with a 23″ TT that i sold because it was too short with not enough stand over. I lost a lot of money
    I bought an 18″ ti 456 with JUST enough standover and a 23.5 TT which feels good, but would have preferred a slacker head angle.

So i’m thinking, i would LOVE one of your new Ragley Ti’s and if you’re telling me the 16″ will not feel any shorter than my 18″ ti456 then i’ll be at the front of the queue.

brant
    Free Member

I will plug some real numbers into bike cad and see what happens.

brant
    Free Member

Ti certified tubing is circa min $150 a pound.

Scrap is $1.50 a pound.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Cheers Brant, so most of its value/cost is in processing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Lynskey Ridgeline -v- Shedfire Ragley Ti…’ is closed to new replies.