Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lymes Disease-Post Lymes Syndrome
  • John_Key
    Free Member

I managed to get bitten by a tick on my leg and got the classic lymes disease symptom of the large red ring around the bite site. I saw a doctor and was prescribed a long and large dose of antibiotics (21 days 3g amoxicillin/day) and had no symptoms or ill effects while under the treatment. About a week after the antibiotics finished I have developed arthritis in my back, feet,wrists and elbows, plus sore muscles which has been diagnosed as post lymes syndrome. There seems to be very little treatment options and I have been taking several supplements:
    Fish oil tabs
    Vit D & B12
    Probiotics
    Tumeric

Plus pain relief when it gets bad, plus seeing a physio for manipulation of the sore joints. Any other treatment ideas out there that people with Lymes have had success with?

Yak

Not sure about post lymes but it took me 6weeks, maybe a bit more to feel ok from starting antibiotics. I thought it was taking too long so asked for a lymes blood test at 6 weeks but that came back negative then I got better anyway.
    How long has is been since starting the antibiotics?

scotroutes

Bugger.

I’ve had Lyme (no “s”) Disease twice as a result of tick bites and both times it was shifted via the Amoxicillin. Any subsequent aches and pains I just put down to old age!

kormoran
    Free Member

Amoxicillin side effects can include the aching joints and muscles that you mention. You’ve obviously had a hefty dose which wouldn’t help

I was wrecked after a similar dosage, not Lyme related though. Practice recommended good quality probiotics and they did appear to make a significant improvement.

John_Key
    Free Member

Finished the antibiotics about 6 weeks ago and no Lymes symptoms while on those, but only after I finished them. I’ve been on antibiotics before and never had any issues with them, although this was a fairly hefty dose of them.

kormoran
    Free Member

yeah that sounds like double the standard dose I think.(not a Dr)

Nhs website says side effects can last a couple of months so maybe you are unlicky

cinnamon_girl

Guideline allows for further course of different ab. Look up NICE guideline and show to GP.

Yak

Fingers crossed it’s just needing some time and/or the side effects. Probably worth getting in touch with the GP just in case they want a blood test though. Hope you feel good soon.

Edit – ^ CG has better advice if there are recommended follow up options. That wasn’t available when I was treated.

cinnamon_girl

Usually doxy is the first choice so presumably there was a reason for choosing another. This may be useful:

https://caudwelllymedotnet.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/nice-antibiotic-infographic.pdf

Tips on taking doxycycline

Really, the sooner you have a second course the better.

chevychase

I’d be wary of taking @cinnamon_girl’s advice on vaccines given her covid asshattery and propensity for conspiracy (they won’t know if it’s safe for years, it’s an experiment, they might not release safety data anyway!)

But I would be going back to my doctor anyway and asking for further bloods and follow up – with the nice info she’s provided 🙂

cinnamon_girl

I’d be wary of taking @cinnamon_girl’s advice on vaccines given her covid asshattery and propensity for conspiracy (they won’t know if it’s safe for years, it’s an experiment, they might not release safety data anyway!)

Don’t believe I’ve said any such thing and am not a conspiracy theorist. We all make our own choices but the coercion used was off the scale.

On topic: blood tests for Lyme disease are unreliable and they can’t tell whether or not you have a curent infection. Clinical diagnosis is key.

johnners
    Free Member

I’d be wary of taking @cinnamon_girl’s advice on vaccines

Noted, but I don’t know why you’re bringing it up since c_g hasn’t mentioned vaccines here and the thread’s about Lyme disease. She’s suggested the eminently sensible (to me at least)

Look up NICE guideline and show to GP.

John_Key
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments. The initial antibiotic does was a large one and was prescribed by a doc in France, but my doctor at home who has dealt with Lymes said that would have killed the bacteria and there is little point in getting a blood test. I’m thinking it is a matter of time in terms of getting better and I can still ride, but can get pretty tired and sore afterwards. It is better than it was about a month ago…..or maybe I’m just getting old

cinnamon_girl

Were you tested in France? If so, do you have a copy of the test result? You were given the standard dose which is the same as that recommended in NICE guidelines. However, doxy is normally prescribed in the first instance but it can be brutal.

Do look at “Ongoing symptoms after a course of antibiotics” in this NICE link:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng95/chapter/Recommendations#diagnosis

Royal College of General Practitioners Lyme disease toolkit:

https://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/mod/book/view.php?id=12535&chapterid=408

Whichever way you look at it, you have ongoing symptoms and the guideline allows for a further course of antibiotics. If I were in your situation then I’d be grabbing the doxy and preparing for a rough ride for a few weeks. All the NHS can offer is 2 courses of antibiotics, they have no Lyme experts and you’ll be left on your own to figure it meaning private treatment which ain’t cheap.

Good luck with navigating this and do shout out if you have any q’s.

Jamz
    Free Member

Your gut microbiome has just been nuked – I would being taking some high strength probiotics, and at least one natural like saurkraut/kefir. Would also avoid refined sugar for a while. And plenty of plants in the diet.

chevychase

Not to derail the thread but

@cinnamon_girl

Don’t believe I’ve said any such thing

I remembered from covid so went back and checked before posting and you did, indeed.

But regardless – I agree with you on the Nice guidelines – and the sensible suggestion to return to the doctors. Going back to the pro’s is always good advice 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

On Lymes CG has often been the stand out source on info if you’re suffering. 👍

John_Key
    Free Member

@Jamz, yer being going hard out on the probiotics too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.