Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lyme Regis / Charmouth Mountain Biking
  • johncoventry

We are going on holiday to Lyme Regis and I was wondering what the mountain biking is like in the area. I have looked on the OS map and there are plenty of bridleways within 10 or so km. Are they worth riding?
    Any recommendations / ones to avoid etc?

ajantom

Meant to be some nice trails in Puddletown forest, about 30 min drive from Lyme.

thelawman
    Free Member

Have a vague recollection of doing a 5hr Trailquest in that area many years ago, using a lot of bridleways, sunken lanes and white roads, joined up by stretches of metalled/yellow lanes. Good for bimbling, but not necessarily mountain biking in the modern idiom.

belugabob
    Free Member

We did a road tour from Plymouth to Gatwick, last year, and this passed through Lyme Regis and on to Charmouth.

Judging by the road hills involved, the Bridleways should be a right old laugh.

There are loads of bridleways along the tops of the cliffs, in that area – but I had to avoid them, as I wasn’t sure how suitable they were, for a road bike with luggage.

I’d be interested to hear what you find, so I can take this into account for future reference.

belugabob
    Free Member

And, by strange coincidence, Strava has just told me about a friend’s ride round Puddletown forest…

kaiser
    Free Member

Charmouth woods might entertain for an hour or 2 …often ride around there with my brother for a quick meet. They’re up the crewkerne road on the other side of the A35?from Lyme. Otherwise you can just piece together various lanes and bridleways around Axminster etc . Best bet for more variety is 30 mins away at Woodbury Common …great place to ride a little south of Sidmouth .

Cheezpleez

I’ve explored in Puddletown Forest when down that way. Some nice trails that are easy to find from the main tracks. Just head for high ground.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Around Lyme Regis not much over the years X loved it down there never found much bit on Golden Cap but pretty dull to be honest lovely place just nothing for a MTB best stuff is way back in Dorset around the Purbecks and Wareham forest Puddletown forest does have some nice trails when someone is not setting it on fire.

kaiser
    Free Member

It wouldn’t surprise me if it took an hour to Puddletown forest knowing that coast road. Woodbury is closer for sure with great riding…Haldon a bit further with all sorts incl cafe side trails if you want more serious man made stuff.

johncoventry

Thanks for the advice. Ideally I want to ride from Lyme Regis but will check out the areas mentioned. I will look at the map at what looks ok, head in that direction and take whatever looks best.

Interestingly we stayed 10 mins ride from Woodbury Common last year. I had quite a few enjoyable rides exploring especially interesting in the dark when all the tracks look the same and coming across a patrol out on a night training exercise was quite a shock.

ajantom

Tbh you’re probably better off with a gravel or road bike if riding from Lyme.

Check out the Buzzard Route, which is a lovely 80 mile circular route around East Devon, that goes past/near Lyme.

Cycling

swdan
    Free Member

Just posting so I can find it later as hopefully off to Charmouth with the gravel bike beginning of August

mariner
    Free Member

great place to ride a little south of Sidmouth .

Er Sidmouth is on the south coast but I know what you mean.

OP if you can make it over to Sidmouth park in Peak Hill carpark I can let you have a gpx of a route that uses NR2 out through Budleigh to Exmouth then Exe Trail as far as Exton. A long climb up to Woodbury and back along fast loose gravel with a final climb that you wont thank me for.
    Good couple of hours out 38kms 5500 meters climbing. Mtb or Gravel bike. A bit too much road to start with and you wont need knobbly tires apart for a ten meter section of the unrideable hill at the end.
    PM your email and I will send it over.

swdan
    Free Member

Tbh you’re probably better off with a gravel or road bike if riding from Lyme.

I was about to ask this in relation to my aforementioned trip to Charmouth, I have both so can bring either. Is it more suited to one than the other?

johncoventry

I have just returned from my week in Lyme Regis and as mentioned above the mountain biking isn’t great. There are plenty of hills which is good for training. I did a 137m climb straight from the door.

For anybody else that is interested this is what I found:

The bridleway from Penn on the A37 (GR343 952) to Rhode Barton is reasonable single track through the woods.

Mill Lane from the A37 (GR 348 949) to Champernhayes Cross is a narrow overgrown old track. It may be OK when not overgrown.

Bridleway from Bakers Cross (Gr 379 958) to Catherston Leweston is edge of fields.

Ames Plantation. There is a bit of single track called Flint vs Holly that is OK. It starts at GR 313 941. Look for the line about 50 metres in from the entrance at the road on the right.

Hells Lane is worth an explore between Symondsbury and North Chideock. We only walked it but it was interesting.

If we go back I will not take my bike but take the inflatable boat instead as Lyme Regis bay is lovely for boating.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lyme Regis / Charmouth Mountain Biking’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

Pada Yatra 2022 #shorts
Singletrack Video Archive: Pada Yatra 2022 #shorts