Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • lyme disease
  • rone

http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/index.html

I got bit last year doing c2c. Not 100% sure but felt rough on and off for months.

Getting sorted now. Anyone else had this/living with it?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Sounds like somthing you would watch on House MD

slowoldgit
    Free Member

This is from about 2005…

Lyme Disease – everything you wanted to know (and stuff you wish you didn’t)

… and sadly needs an update.

monkeyboyjc

My wife caught it two years ago – i’ll dig out a pic in a bit….

as she has an SLE lupus, amoung other things, and is on iummunosuppessants (she has no immune system), she was in hospital for about 2 weeks…

edit: here you go…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Had it twice, both times self diagnosed and then agreed by the doc, 2 weeks of penicillin seemed to cure it.

Very common over here with climbers, bikers, walkers.

pennine
    Free Member

My wife is a clinical pharmacist and I was skimming through her March Pharmaceutical journal and spotted an article on Lyme Disease. A condensed version here…

Borreliosis is the most common tick-bourne disease in the UK. Diagnosis is often difficult because the disease can produce a bewildering array of symptons, most of which resemble other diseases. Doxycyline is the treatment of choice for adults.
    Once a tick has attached itself to the host it is important that it is removed correctly, as incorrect removal can lead to further complications. If the tick’s head remains attached, abscesses can form, and squeezing the abdomen can result in the tick’s stomach contents entering the hosts bloodstream, which can lead to septicaemia. There are only two safe ways to remove a tick – with fine-tipped tweezers, or with a tick-removal tool.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Yep, got bit roughly end of May last year. Ruined my life (and cycling)
    being treated privately since Feb and fingers crossed well on the road to recovery (Babesia cured hopefully)

scaredypants

Holyzeus – Babesia or Borrelia ? (or both ?)

fairly comprehensive review

(Lyme’s a controversial subject and other opinions certainly exist: I attended a talk once, given by the guy who chaired the IDSA group that produced this ^ guideline – he’s had death threats and attempts to have him struck off because they said that chronic infection doesn’t seem to have any supporting evidence, so long-term antibiotics should not be required)

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Both, Babesia is a co-infection. Potentially much more dangerous than Lyme but much easier to treat

scaredypants

Can I (rudely) ask what you’re being treated with, for how long, and how much it costs ?
    (feel free to decline)

Holyzeus
    Free Member

No problem, but privately. Email?

scaredypants

mine’s in my profile

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I’m doing something wrong, two failure notices…, mines roofer1 AT btinternet DOT com

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve been feeling run down for years

often with bouts of sore glands in my neck, back of knees and groin

also having difficulty sleeping with night sweats etc

I guess its worth looking into

scaredypants

YHM

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Alternative viewpoint, start here…

Home

… and I think I’m proof of the value of long-term treatment. Or maybe ‘I would have got better anyway‘.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

jools

That sounds familiar.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Jools
    My advice is to thoughly research Lyme first, there are many different symptoms at different stages. You need to see what symptoms you’ve had/still have to make a connection if there is one.
    It is VERY unlikely you’ll get anywhere with the NHS

jools182
    Free Member

so the private route is the best way to get a diagnosis?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

That’s how I got treated, jools. My GP gave me a month’s doxy. It took lots more from someone I saw privately. You might start with Eurolyme, unless anyone here has newer info.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Eurolyme is extremely helpful and a constant source of info.
    Private treatment is really your only route, they will diagnose you clinically using testing as a guide and backup

rudedog
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 ticks recently – I successfully removed them sll by tying thread round the front part of their bodies and pulling them out using steady pressure on the thread – I was afraid of using tweezers in case it caused them discomfort which would result in them discharging their diseases into my bloodstream.

spooky_b329

Removing a tick seems to strike the fear of god into many…I find they come out very easily. I just use tweezers, but I only use enough pressure to grip the body, then I pull gently until I can see my skin lift slightly, and they just seem to let go. Then I have to try and catch them as they normally start running up my arm 😯

FieldMarshall

As I posted back in 2005, I had all the symptoms of Lymes, was constantly feeling run down but had tested negative for Lymes.

Continued to feel like this for another 5 years and finally gave up on NHS, went private and was diagnosed with severe toxaplasmosis and gluten intolerance. Probably got the toxaplasmosis from living in France. Normally harmless but my immune system was severely compromised by the underlying gluten intolerance.

Having those private tests literally turned my life around.

Couldn’t recommend private tests highly enough if you can afford it.

monkeyboyjc

For those that get Tick’s regularly – get one of these – its a standard part of my trail kit now.

http://www.tickremoval.co.uk/tickremovalshop.html

jools182
    Free Member

I don’t recall being bitten but have felt horrible for years

Went to breakspeare clinic in Hemel Hempstead a month ago

Just got the results, they did 4 tests for Lyme, 2 of which came back positive

Just glad I’m not mental as I kept being told my symptoms were psychological

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Jools, you’re lucky you got in. They aren’t taking on any new patients.
    Who are you seeing there?

jools182
    Free Member

Dr Puri

It wasn’t cheap. At all

Holyzeus
    Free Member

It wont be but they are the only people in the country that can help you

Taff
    Free Member

Got an appointment with the quack on friday. Had a bite back in June and removed the tick, no ring, nothing at all. Now have a load of very similar symptoms to Lymes disease. Thought I had an issue with my thyroid medication at first as there were some similar symptoms but bow not so sure.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m thinking of asking for a blood test at the end of “the season” just to make sure I’m clear. Think a GP will authorise that without evidence of symptoms?

Taff
    Free Member

No idea, reading similar topics it would seem that the tests don’t necessarily pick it up and that people have gone for years without having it diagnosed. Seems a few had gone private and then had it sorted immediately

geoffj

it would seem that the tests don’t necessarily pick it up

This ^^

ojom
    Free Member

From experience, the tests are not conclusive.

There are doctors out there though that can assist. PM if you would like a name.

druidh
    Free Member

But more conclusive than not having one at all….

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Lyme is primarily a clinical diagnosis
    Taff, be proactive NHS is next to useless

smiff
    Free Member

ah didn’t realise you’re supposed to pull and wait for tick to let go. i always just ripped them out.
    right?

btw cards are slightly cheaper (3.95) on ebay.

Taff
    Free Member

Well I’m having tests done. Had a load of blood samples done on Friday and GP was worried and wanted to sign me off work! Can’t walk up the stairs now without feeling tired but hopefully will be ok soon. Doc thought it was either Lymes or rheumatoid. Marvellous. Been told to stay off the bike which seeing as I can’t walk the stairs I hasn’t planned on doing anyway. Got a trip to Leogang next week and really hope I’ll be ok with that

scbutcher
    Free Member

I have always been told to drop candle wax on them or daub cream over them so they cannot breath ?

Apparenly they breath out of their arrass so in order to carry on munching they exhale through the back end and in dropping wax on them it takes its head out and they come out in one and are stuck in wax so you can check the head is still attached ?

druidh
    Free Member

Bollox.

Get a tick remover tool and do it properly. Anything which stresses them can cause them to empty their stomach contents into your body – which is how you can contract Lymes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘lyme disease’ is closed to new replies.