Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Luxury benefits for Premier users
  • FOG

Umm, I don’t think I will be staying at the Holbeck Ghyll hotel which ST have a deal with. Rooms start at £280 a night, START!!
    I am sure plenty will come on here telling me it’s my fault for being poor but I do wonder how many people will take this up?
    It doesn’t say how many in a room so I could try and take 9-10 others to stay in the room which would bring it down to what we usually pay.

binners

You’d be prepared to stay in somewhere that charges £280 a room. How frightful?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I find the cost of the hotel + wine is proportional to the ammount and carziness of ‘quality grown up time’ I get from the missus on a weekend away.

There’s not quite a zero intercept, if it’s a shared room for £20/night then the result is zero.

Given that the crappy travelodge I had the missfortue to stay in for a fortnight with work charged £90 a night it’s quite easy to imagine something 3x better!

mtbfix

A former colleague and his party turned up at Bovey Castle for a long weekend stay a few years back. The chap guarding the ar park directed them to the service entrance and parking as they didn’t suit the front car park. Seemed funny at the time but surely a paying customer is a paying customer?

iain1775
    Free Member

Was just looking at that, to me it seems reflective of the general direction the mag is taking
    Subscription not getting renewed

Scapegoat

I had my honeymoon in the Holbeck Ghyll. One night only mind you. 😀

sniff
    Free Member

The mystical Members card is required at check in. That’ll be 95% of us out then.

emmodd
    Free Member

Yep, mine ran out 10 months ago. No replacement despite renewing my subscription and requesting a replacement.

I must admit though, the possibility of a free packed lunch on a £300 a night hotel is tempting 😀

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Umm, I don’t think I will be staying at the Holbeck Ghyll hotel which ST have a deal with. Rooms start at £280 a night, START!!

Not stayed there, but ate there and it was fantastic.

whattyre
    Free Member

[video]http://veehd.com/video/4689019_The-Trip-103-Holbeck-Ghyll[/video]
    Food does look ace though!

somafunk

I’d only have to work for one and a half weeks to stay a night there, or get a caravan/chalet up at speyside leisure park Aviemore for 10 days for that sort of price…..choices….choices….. 🙄

Sandwich

Outrage FAIL, rooms start at £160 for the Fell Rooms. Go back and try again. That’s not bad for a 4 star room with a Michelin starred restaurant attached. Average price round these parts for similar is £155 with no starred restaurant. Our local Marco Pierre White place is £110 and that’s for a restaurant with rooms.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The mystical Members card is required at check in. That’ll be 95% of us out then.

lol Just checked my wallet. The last one I seem to have received expired in Sept 2009!

PMK2060

I usually go on a jolly with work once a year and the boss always insists on booking top hotels. I don’t think the rooms are much better than premier inn rooms tbh and certainly not three times better. Personally I would not spend over £100 a night unless my wife promised to bring one of her friends 😀

Pook

I don’t think the rooms are much better than premier inn rooms tbh

The rooms never are. I’ve stayed in some of the top hotels around the world and premier inns, and never been that blown over.

Except once. A really quite excellent hotel in Jersey. Fantastic place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We must be really short on 1st world problems tonight.

bradley
    Free Member

We must be really short on 1st world problems tonight.

This.

project
    Free Member

Outrage FAIL, rooms start at £160 for the Fell Rooms. Go back and try again. That’s not bad for a 4 star room with a Michelin starred restaurant attached

You pay that much to eat with the the tyre fitters.

Kamakazie

Pook, which hotel in Jersey if you don’t mind saying?

iain1775
    Free Member

I fail to see how having a posh cafe downstairs justifies an inflated room cost?
    Just means I can’t afford to sleep or eat there, even with a stw discount
    What do these places offer the average mountain biker that the little local £40 a night b&b doesn’t?
    Is this therefore a worthwhile ‘incentive’ to the average singletrack reader?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I fail to see how having a posh cafe downstairs justifies an inflated room cost?
    Just means I can’t afford to sleep or eat there, even with a stw discount
    What do these places offer the average mountain biker that the little local £40 a night b&b doesn’t?
    Is this therefore a worthwhile ‘incentive’ to the average singletrack reader?

Somebody decided (white sheets whatever – look like an upmarket Wotif/lastminute) that they would target a certain demographic via a discount/marketing scheme. We turned out to be it. As I have not stayed there I can’t comment on the value of the rooms. The price includes a number of things above the room, such as a Spa, Quiet rooms, and service. I have stayed in good cheap places and bad expensive ones and everything between.

I’m struggling to be offended or upset by the inclusion of an offer, I’m guessing STW doesn’t go searching these things and offering loads of cash to encourage these people to give a discount but it’s more of a marketing ploy from their side.

grum
    Free Member

We stayed in a place with a Michelin star. Food was great but would have been very disappointed with the room if we’d payed full price. Nice spa/pool though.

I don’t really get the problem either TBH.

stevious

I am OUTRAGED at being offered a DISCOUNT that I have no intention of USING.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I am OUTRAGED at being offered a DISCOUNT that I have no intention of USING.

While were on the subject I’m and international “P” Member and I can’t use my discount card anywhere locally. I demand discounts in every country I visit.

Your Outraged & Disgusted

PS Mags not bad

PPS Still trying to be outraged (bit like constipation it’ll happen eventually but may be painful)

MarkLG
    Free Member

What’s the problem? You can be paying £80-100 for a room in that part of the world and it won’t be anything special. £160-200 for a ‘luxury’ hotel with fancy restaurant sound about right.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

When we ate there, a man in a nice suit opened our car door, helped my wife to get out, then asked if we’d like canapés on the croquet lawn. We then had a fantastic meal which cost us around £150. Which looking at the advert, is included.

It’s not the sort of place I’d go with the boys to go cycling, but then I wouldn’t necessarily take my wide away on the tent if I were trying to treat her.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I wouldn’t necessarily take my wide away on the tent if I were trying to treat her.

Does she you you call her your ‘wide’?

Brave man!!!!!!

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi All,
    If you should, but do not, have a members card please contact the office.
    Details are linked to from the footer of this page.
    subs@singletrackworld.com – 01706 814397

grum
    Free Member

Should I have one? Premier online only subscriber.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

grum – yes.

Any Annual subscription purchased directly with Singletrack entitles you to a membership card.

If you are a Monthly subscriber you’ll need to switch to Annual or it’s no packed lunch for you. 😉

nbt

Went skiing in Val Thorens a few years ago at a place that has a michelin starred restaurant attached (sh eosb, for those who know what that means). We arranged a night in said restaurant at a seemingly quite reasonable 35eur per head for a three course meal. The main course was pigeon and was a little undercooked for my tastes, and the portions were quite small. The dessert did have a line of space dust round the edge which was fun. Overall though I was quite underwhelmed by the experience – maybe we didn’t get the full experience as we’d arranged a group night, but if that’s the case then I’m even more disappointed

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Are the local trails and bike shed any good? If not, I’m not interested.

roger_mellie

Sandwich – Member
    Outrage FAIL, rooms start at £160 for the Fell Rooms. Go back and try again.

Rooms may start at this price, but the actual offer that’s being promoted by STW for the Holbeck Ghyll hotel is this:
    “Singletrack Benefit – Secure bike storage, complimentary laundry, packed lunch, flask and 10% off at Wheelbase Bike Superstore. All this is included in the price of a one night dinner, bed and breakfast stay. Prices from £280 per room per night.”
    i.e. prices for hotel/dinner/breakfast/extra bits

Whether you think its a good deal or not is entirely up to you of course.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dinner B&B for 2 at £280 is quite reasonable especially if the the restaurant is good quality. Used to be just down the road I might have been tempted 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Does she you you call her your ‘wide’?
    Brave man!!!!!!

I see you’re having as much luck trying to string a sentence together as me!

I’d call my wife many things, but I wouldn’t dare use that one.

Scapegoat

Are we back at the point where we are allowed to think this is a good deal, or must we pretend we wouldn’t spend that sort of money treating our partners to a decent meal in very comfortable surroundings? This is abut a decent weekend away, not bargain digs for a biking weekend FFS!

My memories of the place (I’ve been twice, once on our wedding night and once on a special anniversary) are of incredibly good quality food, excellent rooms and facilities, and the most attentive staff I’ve come across for a long time.A good quality meal for two costs between £120 and £150 here in third world Yorkshire, so split the bill and allocate £65 pp/pn B&B, add in the little treats such as an aperitif or nightcap and factor in the lunch and flask. If that’s what you’re into, I reckon that’s good value for money.

If you want to pay £40pp/pn, then there are quite a few Travelodges knocking about, and you can always share a takeaway.

peakrill
    Free Member

Hi All,
    If you should, but do not, have a members card please contact the office.
    Details are linked to from the footer of this page.
    subs@singletrackworld.com – 01706 814397

I took out an annual print/online subscription in December last year. I received issue 79 Ok but no membership card yet. Sent an email to subs@singletrackworld.com on 31st January. I got an “out of office” reply but I haven’t heard anything else since. Underwhelmed.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi peakril,
    We send out membership cards in batches as they are plastic cards that need processing so there is normally a delay of up to 8 weeks. In the meantime I’m working on a Digital Version of the Premier card which you can access from your premier account page
    http://singletrackworld.com/premier/account/

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Luxury benefits for Premier users’ is closed to new replies.