Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lump on my hand from crash – advice please
  • tobyho
    Free Member

I came off a couple of weeks ago. Over the bars, landed on my right hand and hurt my wrist. Some slight swelling but it hurt a lot and is still not right. Last night I noticed I have a bit of an ‘egg’ on my hand (top side of hand just at base of thumb / start of wrist). This lump hurts when I put pressure on it – but not a lot.

Any advice ?

I cant ride my mtb; my wrist cant take any real power thru it. It is taking ages to heal… doing my head.

Please.

jedi

scaphoid?

crikey
    Free Member

Have you considered seeing a medical professional? Wild idea I know…

wwaswas

You’ve got a Ganglion.

bit of wrist joint fluid has popped out and made a bubble.

will settle down. I had one for years – it popped after an over the bars incident and a heavy landing on the same wrist.

Alternative is bashing it with a heavy book and popping it yourself.

[edit] although a professional diagnosis may be in order before you start attacking yourself with an encyclopedia.

rocketman
    Free Member

Scaphoid. If you’re lucky it will be 16 weeks in a cast. If you’re unlucky they will have to re-break it and then 16 weeks in a cast.

Soz

maccruiskeen

Alternative is bashing it with a heavy book and popping it yourself.

A procedure referred to by GPs as hitting it with NHS bible

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

could be one of a number of things and needs a visit to your GP

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

As I have no medical knowledge can I recommend DIY amputation, just above the wrist, also a good kick in the bollocks to take your mind of the amputation.

tobyho
    Free Member

Scaphoid. If you’re lucky it will be 16 weeks in a cast. If you’re unlucky they will have to re-break it and then 16 weeks in a cast.

Ok. Just Googled ‘Scaphoid fracture’ and the symptoms are similar – but I cant belive I have broken it. I am typing fine. I can push and pull the hand ok and I am not screaming in agony. Been out riding on the road lots. I did do some shoulder raises and squats with barbell at the weekend though and that hurt a lot after…

Anyone know can I injure a Scaphoid without actually breaking it ? Maybe I’ve bruised it….

rewski
    Free Member

I broke my scaphoid, it went undetected for months, by which time union was pretty unlikely, I’ve just had an operation to screw it together which also involved a bone graft. My advice is to get it xrayed asap.

rocketman
    Free Member

As above it is a tiny little bone with a poor blood supply that breaks and dies very easily. I have broken both, the first time it went ‘undetected’ for several weeks and was only rescued by some quick surgery, a bone graft and a bit of titanium. The second time I went straight to hospital and it still took 16 weeks to mend.

Get thee to A&E and get it X-rayed, scaphoids are a total PITA

highclimber
    Free Member

it’s AIDS, you have the AIDS – get to the hospital

tobyho
    Free Member

I’m going to the hospital etc tomorrow.

rocketman
    Free Member

Good luck!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I broke my radius scaphoid… or is that scaphoid radius about 10 weeks ago. Just got back on the bike last week without and problems so may bot be that bad.

It didn’t hurt as much as I though it would and rode back to the car and drove home etc.

A visit to a GP isn’t worth it as they will just have to refer you for an X-Ray. Go to A&E but don’t be surprised if they ask why you have been already!

tobyho
    Free Member

went the GP and thence to the fracture clinic for a load of xrays – ‘there are no broken bones. you do not need to go to a&e. we will write to your gp in 4 or 5 days’.

hoorah. it’s not broke. just badly mashed up. road ride tomorrow and saturday. road again mon, tues, and then a good hard xc on the ss on thursday (no drops); on friday we go to greece for 8 days. no riding.

happy days. i am chuffed. hand still hurts though..

i will be back in the woods proper in 2.5 weeks..fingers crossed (on my left hand).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lump on my hand from crash – advice please’ is closed to new replies.