• This topic has 47 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Luminox watches- robust/good and worth the money?
  • hora
    Free Member

I like them, in the vein of old Tag F1’s/Suunto’s

aviemoron
    Free Member

Mmmmm, also like to hear the collectives thoughts on this. I use a G shock for work/biking, but although it’s ok (in that I’ve not broken it) I’m really not happy with a digi display. Could use a tough easy read basic analogue (don’t need extra dials, etc) but not at Rolex prices!!!!

hora
    Free Member

Ive also got a Gshock (and one on the way to me), plus a S6 Suunto. Just fancy something abit different (and colourful) really.

willard

Those Luminox watches actually look quite nice. Simple, easy to read, waterproof.

I might have to give them a look when I finally get round to replacing mine, which might be soon, as I noticed that it was fogged on the inside of the glass when I was out walking in Brecon the other weekend. Damn Pen Y Fan!

hora
    Free Member

This one:

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Looks like a prize from one of those crane grabber thingys at Blackpool, aweful IMO.

hora
    Free Member

Thats what the original F1’s looked like!

Ps.

Looks like a prize from one of those crane grabber thingys at Blackpool, aweful IMO.

Whats your point caller? Are you calling me visually inept? 🙄

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Have to agree. cheap and nasty looking!

how much are they?

hora
    Free Member

£145 its a divers watch not a dress watch for petes sake!!!

aviemoron
    Free Member

Actually I’ve been skiving on the net and I found these.

They look fine for my use; easy to read, luminuous, waterproof(enough) automatic and cheap enough for work use.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Actually this looks even better at about £20

For bikey/work I think it’s a winner.

roper
    Free Member

I broke my last g-shock and replaced it with one of these.

It has the same illumination as the Traser watches and works very well.

seems hard wearing and perfect for low light. Very basic and simple but works well as “just a watch”.

(christ apologies for the size of the photo)

MountainMutant
    Free Member

only wondered because you could have a nice replica for similar money.

For example a Bell & Ross.

(Link removed to site by Mod)
    Having ordered a Panerai from this site 6 months ago I have been well impressed by the quality (mine was a pricey rep though). I have one v.expensive watch and couldn’t really justify buying the real Pam or the following divorce would have cost even more!

MM

higgo
    Free Member

My (5yo) son has one similar. But his says ‘Power Rangers’ on it.

hora
    Free Member

MM I do like the Bell&Ross. A friend picked up one of those at a carboot sale in Aldley Edge/Cheshire. It looks exactly like the above and so we ‘assumed’ it must be real (cost him £30) and keeps time perfectly. Are they really automatics? 😮

aviemoron
    Free Member

I’ve seen the Bell & Ross website, mmmmmmmmmm luvly. Function over form. Might cruise on over to that replica site.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

U Boat

or proper Bell and Ross

MountainMutant
    Free Member

yes full autos.

My pam,
    although a manual wind, keeps more accurate time than my £3.5K watch!

MM

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Rep of above watch

hora
    Free Member

I love that green face. How much are they retail? MM doe the reps come with a warranty though?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

They do but coming from the far east you take a risk. Been very happy with mine.

Real Military Bell & Ross is around £2300…compared to $195. Shame the dollar rate is rubbish now!

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/watch.asp?productid=1455

-m-
    Free Member

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/watch.asp?productid=1455

“Military personnel pilots in particular wee the first professionals users to regard wrist watches as a total on their missions. To the great interest of top watch-making enthusiasts and collectors Bell & Ross have designed a model in a classical style evocative of the origins of the professional watch. “

?

MTT
    Free Member

Jesus Christ!

Are you seriously suggesting someone buys a FAKE watch? You have to be a grade ‘A’ cock to buy a fake watch and pay more than a fiver for it for the purposes of a joke. If you want a REPLICA then take a look at a Seiko Diver or similar. There is no justification for buying FAKE watches and funding crime.

Numbskull.

CountZero

mtt, for heaven’s sake, calm down. You really sound like a sanctimonious ****. I’m actually rather interested in one of those Bell & Ross replicas, as I really can’t afford the £2300 that a real one would cost. The most I’ve ever paid was £250 for a Tag Heur Series 1000 around twenty years ago, in fact William Petersen of CSI fame wore one in Manhunter. A replacement now would be nearer £700. I recently bought one of those MWC watches illustrated above by roper. It cost me £89, and it’s a great watch for the money. The self-illuminating markers are amazingly bright, and it keeps better time than the TAG! I would totally recommend one for the money. They are apparently NATO MilSpec issued to special forces.
    Whatever. They are damn good watches.

dave_aber
    Free Member

They are apparently NATO MilSpec

– Anyone’s guess who they are issued to, but that crow’s foot under the middle of the face is indeed a military / NATO marking.

(Just like most of the tools in my garage) – Did I say that out loud?

firestarter
    Free Member

the mwc are great watches i had one issued when in green. They normally have a cap badge on the back plate marked on them as they are made on order for specific regiments and other countries armed forces.

firestarter
    Free Member

oh and wenger watches are worth a look good quality and nice prices. Swiss army issue too while on the subject lol 🙂

MTT
    Free Member

CountZero
    You really sound like a sanctimonious ****.

I am a bit of a watch collector and as such have strong opinions about fake watches. I won’t sit on the fence.

1) If you cant afford a B&R then buy a licensed homage, many manufacturers make homages to popular watches, see the Rolex Submariner, IWC Portugueser.

2) I’d much rather have a real Seiko than a fake Rolex, you’re getting a genuine watch (and support/guarantee etc.) and save up and one day get a real Rolex/Omega/etc….

3) You obviously value the brand highly enough that you want to be seen to own a Rolex yet you won’t pay the going rate for a real one.
    Surely this just makes you a cheapskate. If you really just want a quality mechanical watch then there are plenty to choose from. Why pretend to be something or someone that you’re not?

4) I admire the ability of the counterfieters, but abhor their business ethics. Where do you suppose these things are made?

5) Anyone buying a watch to portray an image is totally missing the point of good watches, which probably explains their willingness to buy the fakes. The logic of this is all wrong. If you’re buying a fake to project an image of yourself then you obviously aspire to the brand. However by buying the fakes you are actually devaluing the brand that you aspire to by aiding the proliferation of counterfeits. All a bit pointless I think.

I would like to think that most buyers of quality timepieces do so through some level of understanding and appreciation of the craftmanship involved in the watches.

6) If the Chinese can build a watch equal to the premium brands, then they should brand it as their own.

7) STW should not become a market place for Illegal counterfeiting.

That IMHO is why people who buy FAKE watches are cocks.

MTT
    Free Member

I will give you a list of manufacturers who make reasonably priced watches if you like?

showerman
    Free Member

auto watches should always be wound up never let them stop this is one reason for them loosing time something like this
    http://techswiss.com/Watch-Winder-Tech-Swiss-For-Two/M/B000KDUSOK.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle-GB&id=uk

redthunder
    Free Member

this is what you want…

CountZero

MTT yes, I’m a cheapskate. I will quite happily spend money when I can afford it on quality products, and if you had actually read my post you would have seen that I own a genuine TAG. However, I’m not in the luxurious position of being able to spend thousands of pounds on a timepiece, nor do I have the desire to spend several years saving money that would otherwise go on more important things, like parts for my four bikes, clothing, a new crash helmet, MOT and insurance for my car, and possibly even a holiday, as I haven’t been able to afford one since ’96. Oh, and there’s also the mortgage…
    You really do come across as a sanctimonious idiot. I totally recognize the quality of a good watch, just as much as any well engineered object, be it a bike, car, boat, watch, whatever, but if I can buy a replica of a really nice looking watch for a fraction of the price I will do so, and I will happily tell anyone that it cost me $120, rather than $3000, because I know most people would consider the $120 more than a reasonable amount to spend on a watch, the same as they consider the £2500 I spent on just one of my bikes to be rediculous. I like the clean easy to read qualities of B&R watches, but I have no need for something waterproof to 1000m. I’m a working-class bloke with no pretentions to be anything other than, but I do, however, appreciate objects that are well designed, without fripperies, like B&R watches, and, until the lottery coughs up, I’ll happily make do with a replica to tell me the time, and make no apologies to a snob like you.

Nico
    Free Member

Timepiece? Military spec? It’ll be “steed” next. Landrovers are military spec LOL.

Rich
    Free Member

The date window really lets down that br01-94 copy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Interesting…
    I ride with a guy who repairs, services and deals expensive watches. And I mean £70k watches, not £500 ones. As a result he’s not short of a few bob.
    Once we asked him what he wore himself, thinking he’d have a cheap £10k Rolex for general wear.
    “£20 Casio” says, taking it off and banging it on the table to demonstrate, “It keeps better time and I can do this with it”

😀

moreupsthandowns
    Free Member

Hora,

I have got the Traser Version of the one in the picture you are referring to. Apart from the fact that it is in a Titanium Casing. Had it for three years. It is robust, takes all the abuse I can throw at it and keeps good time. Have a look at the Traser Site just search on Google for it, IMHO Trasers are somewhat understated but better cosmetically compared to the Luminox Coloured versions. Down to taste of course.

I really rate mine.

MUTD’s

trailmonkey

FWIW I think it’s worth paying for something that has a sapphire crystal face if you want to wear it for playing rough. 😀

dr_adams
    Free Member

i have a Traser, had it for 5 years i think? needed one battery but just love the glow of it at night and it has been in some scuffles and had a lot of abuse, i do find the pins are the weak point.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

My MRG G Shock has served me well over the last 10 years of abuse. It doesn’t get as much time on my wrist now due to other G Shocks and Seiko divers but I must admit I do fancy another titanium G Shock of some description (perhaps not the £4k worth that redthunder posted!)
    If you do consider the H3 Trasers drop me an email.
    here and here are good places to look too.

Paul.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Luminox watches- robust/good and worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.