Luminox is dead, any watch deals around?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Luminox is dead, any watch deals around?
  • jools182

My Luminox has finally given up the ghost

Repairers said a new movement is needed and they can’t guarantee it will be waterproof after that

Any watch deals around?

Something similar style

Premier Icon cliffyc
    Subscriber

Swiss Army brand watches look good to me, I have a Fossil chrono bought by gf,but can’t reccomend them.I’m on a replacement one as no.1 stopped working and Debenhams took ages sorting out a repair,only to tell me Fossil were unable to get the parts and did not have any stock of that model!.No.2 is worse only one of the little stopwatches works and the adjuster pulled out after 2 days.I would have taken it back to Debenhams but sadly the staff there seem to know as much about watches as I do about molecular science……

daniebike

Go for Rolex 😀

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Elliot Brown? I’m not really a ‘watch person’, but I’m getting oddly attached to mine. Young company started by one of the guys who was originally behind Animal and seriously rugged build, apparently.

theflatboy

Which did you go for, BWD? I like the look of those, along with a couple of Christopher Ward’s offerings. Thinking I might fancy getting a new watch as well…

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

I have a Canford with the ruffty tufty NATO spec nylon strap, it’s kind of on loan. I’m not really someone who’s ever been that bothered about watches, but I like it a lot almost despite myself. It’s quite solid and chunky feeling and so far has just kept on telling the time. Been worn for biking, running, walking and just existing including some cack-handed bike maintenance work. Not scratched at all, so far. Nice not to have to worry about breaking it… comfortable as well.

theflatboy

Intresting. Both models do look very nice, I hadn’t heard of them before you mentioned them.

Seiko SNDA57P1
    Cheap, smart, subtle. (Prefer a slightly better strap than the stock one though, so went for a Timefactors NATO)

Traser are similar.

servo

As mentioned above Traser are very similar if not made by the same company. I just got myself a Traser Commander on ebay. Very pleased with it.

CountZero

My Luminox has finally given up the ghost

Repairers said a new movement is needed and they can’t guarantee it will be waterproof after that
    Odd they should say that, seals are replaceable, and it’s usual to take a movement out of a case for any repair or for cleaning, then put new seals in. It doesn’t affect the integrity of the case at all. The seals are only ‘O’-rings, lightly lubricated, so water-resistance should be exactly as new. No watch is ‘water-proof’, really; I have a 1970 Yema chronograph, which says ‘waterproof’, has two stopwatch buttons and a regular crown, whereas my Seiko divers has a single screw-down crown, and only says ‘divers 250m’, watches aren’t described as ‘waterproof’ any more.
    I’d look at getting a new movement in the existing case, unless you actually do serious diving it’s unlikely that the water resistance would be compromised.

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

Those Elliot Brown watches do look nice but £500 is a fair bit for a watch with quartz movement and mineral glass (sapphire glass resists scratches much better)

I had a Chris Ward C60 but I think it was a Friday afternoon special- had to go back twice and I ended up getting a refund. Superb customer service though, and I suspect I was just unlucky with mine. Automatic movement and sapphire glassine that too

I’ve always liked the Speedbirds from TimeFactors

It’s been said on here before that £400-600 is the no-mans-land of gents watches: quite a bit to spend on a quartz but won’t get you a great auto.

reedspeed

Rolex for day Sunnto for play !.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Luminox is dead, any watch deals around?’ is closed to new replies.