• This topic has 97 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Epic.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Ludlow/Mortimer Forest/Bringewood STW Forum Ride – Any one?
  • Epic
    Free Member

I’m thinking of organizing a forum ride round the Mortimer Forest & Bringewood area of Ludlow (South Shropshire) on Sunday 17th May.

Not fast, not furious, just a guided ride around the hidden gems at the pace of the slowest rider. I’m just coming back from injury myself, so it will be nice and steady on the climbs!

Any one interested?

Epic
    Free Member

No pics of the Mortimer’s nice singletrack, but here’s the few pics I’ve got:

cakefest
    Free Member

yes please. keep me posted.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    takisawa2

I could be interested, family commitments depending.
    Let us know.
    PT

shinsplints

Keep me in the loop – got a bunch of neer do wells I could bring along aswell – my e mail is rollason73@hotmail.com

Epic
    Free Member

Ok folks. I’ll keep in touch and will post info on this forum + email out more info in a few weeks.

evil-ed
    Free Member

Sounds like a good idea I could probabely bring a couple of others keep me informed

Rollo
    Free Member

Not far from me either, would be interested and poss get a few along. will keep an eye out.

Epic
    Free Member

All interested names noted 🙂

I will try and post a Friday night reminder on a weekly basis between now and the day (Sun 17th May if that still suits everyone), just to remind everyone as it approaches.

I’ll post final place/time details on Friday 15th.

MadPierre

Epic

I’m staying down that way next weekend (south of wigmore). any chance you’ve got a route (GPS would be good). Drop me a mail please? pete@mountainbikerides.co.uk

Epic
    Free Member

Mad Pierre YGM !

MicArms

Go Epic, I think I’ll be free on the 17th, stick me down.

Epic
    Free Member

Ok Mick. Efin’ell, there’s going to be millions of us at this rate! Should have charged a tenner each for my guiding 😉

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hey Epic,
    Sounds like you better start at Pearce Cycles. Lyndsey would be more than happy to organise brews and biscuits, and I wouldn’t mind betting Dave will set up a bike wash!

SB 🙂

MadPierre

Cheers for the info guys

kona_uk
    Free Member

I would be interested too ! 😀

Email: kona_uk @hotmail.com

eddyesi
    Free Member

think i am free that weekend and definately interested

eddy_hyde@yahoo.com

sqwheeler

Epic, sounds good but I can’t make that date (maybe a good thing by the sounds of it!). That’s nearly my neighbourhood and I’ve not been up there before – any chance of route hints/gps/tracklogs? My email’s in profile.
    Cheers

flatwarwick
    Free Member

Good idea Epic! If i can get a weekend pass from the wife i’ll try and make it. Good excuse to go visit the parents who live out that way.

email: arnage917@hotmail.com

Epic
    Free Member

We’re gonna need a bigger boat…

Epic
    Free Member

Stratobiker, I know I should. BUT as I now work at rival shop Epic Cycles I don’t think I can start the ride from Dave & Lyndsey’s gaff without my current boss shooting me 🙁

There’s plenty of parking at the forestry offices anyway, and we can all pile down to the Charlton Arms beer garden afterwards 😛

Nick

Yeah maybe/put me down, I’m only in North Shropshire but have never made it that far down (Long Mynd is in the way).

Epic
    Free Member

QUICK UPDATE: The Ludlow ride is now confirmed for Sunday 17th May, 10am start – all welcome, so bring your mates. Ride will be XC bias with the odd DH tester thrown in for fun 😉 but nothing a hardtail won’t cope with and the pace will not be frantic. Ride time probably in the region of 2.5/3.5 hrs but this is depending on group fitness, so pack a sandwich (no shops enroute) and your camera!

The meet location will be the Forestry Commission carpark at High Vinnalls, OS Grid Reference: SO474731.
    null

Directions: From Ludlow head out of town on the B4361, take the turning on the right just over the bridge, sign posted for the Forestry Commission. High Vinnalls car park is about 2.5 miles up & over this road towards Wigmore.

I’ll post a last minute reminder next Friday15th/Saturday16th for anyone else interested! See you there 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

Another of the Clent Duffers massif here that could join you

Epic
    Free Member

Just noticed – that grid ref & map are a little out (were taken from Forestry Comm’s website!). Carpark is actually where the pic-nic site is marked on that map about 400m closer to Ludlow 🙂

martp
    Free Member

I’m interested to see what Mortimer Forest & Bringewood area is like anyone singlespeed up there I manley ride in the Wyre Forest ?

cakefest
    Free Member

maybe you can pack out the car park. leave a couple of spaces for the walkers??

Epic
    Free Member

Martp, a few nuts have ridden here on SS, but not me! Some big climbs and long steep ramps to cope with. Up to you!

Cakefest, I’m very local & well aware of the parking situation. Parking’s going to be an on-going issue anywhere in this forest venue until the new visitor centre gets built. The number of times we find horse boxes parked across the barriers is the greatest issue. In a medical emergency it could cause havoc. If Vinnals fills us I will direct folks down the Bringewood fireroad to the DH quarry carpark too. The FC leave the barrier open for this very purpose.

Any way, it will probably rain and no one will show except me! 🙄

Dibs
    Free Member

Hi Epic,

Good idea I fancy finding some more good routes round there, so I’ll try and make it, by the way I normally see you in Epic most saturdays.

Cheers

Dibs

Epic
    Free Member

Dibs, no mugshot in your profile so give us a clue then? I see so many people each week my head spins!

takisawa2

Pencilled in.
    Will sound out a couple of others.
    PT

Epic
    Free Member

Just a few days to go folks 🙂 I’ll re-post details of the meeting time and place again here on Friday evening, but still aiming for this Sunday morning at High Vinalls carpark, at 10am.

This isn’t going to be a particularly fast ride, so fear not if you are a plodder! This is about enjoying some banter and showing folks the easily missed gems hidden round these parts. It might be muddy though 😉

Anyone else interested can email me if they need directions, or have a query. I don’t bite 😈
    benwilliams70ATgooglemailDOTcom

Epic
    Free Member

Everyone’s very quiet? Afraid of a little mud & rain are we 😉 ?

Ok, did a good ride round the Mortimer today and it was, er, very muddy, full of dodgy roots, but still fun 😀 , so it’s all systems go for 10am at the Vinnalls carpark this Sunday if anyone wants to tag along.

Directions to carpark: From Ludlow head south out of town on the B4361, take the turning on the right just over the bridge after the Charlton Arms, sign posted for the Forestry Commission. High Vinnalls car park is about 2.5 miles up & over this road towards Wigmore. OS Grid Reference: SO474731.

MicArms

Epic, Votchy and me will be there. After a winter of the wyre mudfest, even the Somme seems a walk in the park.

Dibs
    Free Member

I’m planning to come with a couple of mates as well, I suppose I should put my mud tyres on, don’t think the speed kings will be much good.

Dibs

Epic
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Nice to know I’ll have a few comrades in ‘the Somme’ 😉

See you 10am with your snorkels and armbands…

singlespeedstu

We’ll see you there too.

Epic
    Free Member

Cheers for coming along today folks!

Biblical rain at the start had me worried for the 6 of us, but then the sun shone through to make it a pretty good ride. I hope you enjoyed it!

I was glad of a hot bath when I got home though!

singlespeedstu

Cheers for showing us round we had a great time.

I kind of forgoten how nice the trails are round there.

Just finished washing the bikes off. Now for a shower then off to the pub…..

I cant believe how nice the weather looks in those pics.

Epic
    Free Member

Cheers Stu! Almost looks like summer doesn’t it 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Ludlow/Mortimer Forest/Bringewood STW Forum Ride – Any one?’ is closed to new replies.