Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Luddite content: 26" tyres
  • Jakester
    Free Member

I know, I know. Unable to muster the £000’s to move to a “modern” (i.e. 27.5/27.5+/29/29+) bike, I’m still ‘stuck’ with my archaic 26″ wheeled bikes.

Fully aware of the fact I’m at least 5.5% less gnar than I could be, I’m still hoping to stick it out until we all move to 32″ wheels (probably next model-year, at this rate).

However, I’m finding that locating any decent 26″ tyres in anything larger than a 2.25″/2.3″ is proving to be tricky.

My full suss has a 2.5″ Conti Gravity on the front (in reality more like a 2.3″ from other brands) but it’s looking quite worn, so I was hoping to replace it with something with a more modern tread pattern and compound; similarly the hardtail I was hoping to run something up to 2.4″/2.5″ for a bit of ‘cush’ but I’m struggling.

Does anyone know of any decent 26″ tyres bigger than 2.3″ that aren’t 26+ or full-on DH tyres?

flyingmonkeycorps

On-One Chunky Monkey is a 2.4 and pretty chunky at that. And super cheap. And really good.

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM26X24/on-one-chunky-monkey-26×24-tyre

Jakester
    Free Member

Aha – those look perfect – thanks!

flyingmonkeycorps

I love ’em. Chunky Monkey on the front and Smorgasbord on the back is a good combo. Or 2 CMs on the hardtail.

kayla1
    Free Member

This lot-

http://nextday.bike/Search.aspx

seem to have a decent-ish range of Luddite stuff in stock. Luddite here too.

Jakester
    Free Member

Thanks Kayla1.

matt_outandabout

Another happy Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord rider here.

devash
    Free Member

Continental are still doing 26 inch tyres in 2.4 variety. They come up large.

poah
    Free Member

conti projekt baron 2.4 is what I’m running on my 26er

gray

I’m still using old High Rollers from my loft. So I’m not much help. Just thought I’d say “hello Jake!”

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve got 2.5 exo minions on my 26″ wheels

Those on one tires come with their own gravity. We have a set on another bike. Heavy.com

jamesmio
    Free Member

Not wishing to pour scorn but I tried and absolutely hated the Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord combo I ran for a while. Always felt like they had absolutely zero grip, constantly spun out on climbs, washed out/slipped all over the place on anything remotely damp.

Got them off and T’F’ for a pair of High Roller 2’s and never looked back.

They were cheap mind I’d give them that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah ours do feel like they are made of Tupperware

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Schwalbe come up large. I haven’t compared them side-by-side but a 2.35 Muddy Mary is bloody tight in a pair of forks I used to run 2.5 Minions in with plenty of space.

I still can’t get my head around Schwalbes branding but mine are Freeride which I think means the casing type. They’re pretty light and pliable, nothing like a dual ply Maxxis for sure.

Only 24s and 26s here btw..

nickdavies

Minions. That’s what’s on mi;e any way. Bloody bargainous atm over on maxxis site, you can get a 2.5 super tacky on the front and a 3c rear and change from a fifty.

Jakester
    Free Member

gray – Member
    I’m still using old High Rollers from my loft. So I’m not much help. Just thought I’d say “hello Jake!”

Hiya! *waves* 😀

gray

If you can’t find something you want, and are interested in a (new, but old) 2.5″ high Roller dual ply (I’m never likely to need that!) then let me know. I presume you work in London?

Jakester
    Free Member

Thanks G, will bear that in mind. Not in London any more – migrated to the West Country a few years back so now end every sentence with ‘oo-ar’. Oo-ar.

andybrad

can you get a 2.25 26″ magic mary?

gray

West Country? Whereabouts? Kingdom of Wessex?

dirkpitt74

On-One Chunky monkey & smorgasbord on my 26’er Mega.

Also picked up a Magic Mary & Nobby Nic from nextday.bike and Acycles.

richardthird

I’ve got CM+Smorg on 2 bikes, love em, but for the same as what DFS charge now (for rarity no doubt) got a pair of new HR2 2.3 EXOs off here recently. So should be OK for a while.

Jakester
    Free Member

gray – Member
    West Country? Whereabouts? Kingdom of Wessex?

Bath – or ‘Barth’, depending on where you’re from!

Thanks everyone for suggestions !

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Luddite content: 26" tyres’ is closed to new replies.