Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lucky Deer Shot with Ixus :-)
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Whilst riding along today we spooked this deer and he was out of his comfort zone. He wanted to come back towards us, thought better of it and jumped at a chain link fence a couple of times. Turned and fled across an open field. First time I’ve ever got a tidy pic of a roe deer 🙂

Also, why do some critters have white tail/rumps ??? Is it some sort of anti predator thing ?? Somebody will know here 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmmmm, venison….yum!

redthunder
    Free Member

Do wish I had a rifle at the time 🙂

cinnamon_girl

OK, if you’re going to start willy-waving, I saw a white fallow deer recently. Ha ha, that’s got you and apologies for not having camera with me.

White is a caudal patch and is seen when deer is alarmed, also warns other deer cos they tend to be in two’s or three’s.

Well done on getting that shot though 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

Thanks CG

cinnamon_girl

Oh Cap’n, I thought you knew – fallow deer are tastier than roe 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Variety is the spice of life…!

Kuco

Thats my idea of fast food.

Sandwich

Was that an over and under Ixus from Purdeys?

mattsccm
    Free Member

OK, if you’re going to start willy-waving, I saw a white fallow deer recently. Ha ha, that’s got you and apologies for not having camera with me.

White is a caudal patch and is seen when deer is alarmed, also warns other deer cos they tend to be in two’s or three’s.

Well done on getting that shot though [:D]
    Posted 13 hours ago #

I skinned one once. Didn’t pull the trigger, some one else was in the best place

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Purdey? Over and under? Are you quite, quite mad? Only an arriviste would use an OU and besides, a rifle is needed for deer, not a shotgun.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Purdey have been making O/U’s since the 50’s.
    you can use a rifled slug in a shotgun for deer but you need a firearms certificate not a shotgun license to do so.

darrell
    Free Member

you guys should try eating reindeer – fantastic, much nicer than your common garden deer

DezB
    Free Member

Nice shot!

I wondered about the white patches too, when my dog was after a herd on the weekend. I never would have seen them, but for their white arses bobbing through the trees.

(Note: if you Google “Fallow deer”, you’ll see some lovely pics of grinning rednecks with their fresh slaughter.)

sharki
    Free Member

Always see deer on my rides, only red ones though, we used to have a White Stag up on the Quantocks but just after the hunting ban came in it’s hide was found dumped near one of the villages, B’stids.

Lucky shot that…..well done.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

depends on the garden,

dear form a park or farm isn’t in the same taste league as wild dear. Back home theres hides for shooting them, kinda lika a ladder with an office chair on top proped against a tree, sit there for a few hours and shoot them as they come past.

Never imagined south derbyshire as a wildlife haven, but there must be thousands of dear, I’ve counted over a hundred (Roe, fallow and monkjack) on a single solo night ride round Robins wood!

MrSmith
    Free Member

those hides are called ‘highseats’

coffeeking
    Free Member

On the road to work one morning, shot in a rush so focus/lighting etc not good!…

In the field down the road from my flat…

acjim
    Free Member

Indeed they are, I commited a mortal faux pas when speaking to my father in law (well into such things) and I referred to them as “highchairs” – oops!

Sandwich

Only an arriviste would use an OU

Bad eyesight and using SG cartridges will take it down and make finding the shot easy. So guilty as charged! 8)

sharki
    Free Member

Clean kills only boys, heart shots only now, if you can’t make the shot don’t pull the trigger…….

FWIW i had a single barrelled bolt actioned SG with a mag, is was hard work at clay pigeon comps but made it a better challenge.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lucky Deer Shot with Ixus :-)’ is closed to new replies.