Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lube like Finish Line Wet lube………
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

but doesnt turn all claggy/mucky/grindy etc? is there one out there? not keen on these waxy types, they seem to just die after one dry ride….

used finish line wet this morning, and its kept the noise at bay, which is good, but my drivetrain looks completley black after just one ride 🙁

an alternative to it but similar in terms of the liquid side to it??

RealMan
    Free Member

Finish line dry lube? Or just don’t use as much/wipe more off?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not to keen on dry lubes to be honest, is it a wax the dry lube? they just seem to dry up and squeak like mad after half of a dry ride!

scratch
    Free Member

Had the same thing a while ago, I never used to remove the excess, it got clogged with crap as you describe, a quick run through a kitchen towel after a few revolutions seems to have done the trick lately.

RealMan
    Free Member

is it a wax the dry lube?

No, it’s just like the wet lube just not as thick I think.

rwc03
    Free Member

I went to the blue rock n roll stuff after getting fed up of finish line wet, you have to apply it often but it keeps the chain clean and runs very smooth. I don’t think you can get a lube which doesn’t pick up crap and stays on a long time.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

good thinking on the excess! i never generally do as i always forget, but i guess remvoing the exceess from the outer plates will keep it cleaner – after all its the inside of the links that your lubing…may stick with FL then and try excess removal first!

sv

FL White/Silve bottle works well for me, chain always looks clean n shiny.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve used some X lite stuff lately, some squirt wax and nothig eever comes close to the FL wet stuff for a slick chain IME, not even the FL dry stuff, I think it’s just a case of wet stuff and wipe the excess off (and I find that I can make a can of FL wet lube last for best part of a year)

neninja
    Free Member

Prolink Progold is good stuff. Keeps the chain pretty clean and running sweetly.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Purple Extreme in the summer, Finish Line wet in the winter. FL dry is not the waxy type which I agree is not too good off road; but a teflon base dry synthetic lube and works quite well in the summer. You do need to wipe off the excess with all lubes or they attract dirt. I don’t think there are any really bad ones around though. None of them last as long as claimed unless you ride in dry clean conditions!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

When I have run out of the freebie samples I’ve collected over the last few years, I’m going to follow PeterPoddy’s advice and simply use suspension fork oil from when I service me forks. TBH all you need is a light oil; it’s a bicycle chain, not some finely-tuned pice of precision engineering. ‘Special bike chain lubricants’ are pretty a rip off, quite frankly.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Green oil

carl
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    in some respects i agree with you that bicycle chain lube is a rip off but the same can be said for alot of what we buy in our sport.The lube itself in a typical 120ml bottle costs pence literally but you add a plastic bottle,add a label,add the freight costs involved if its imported and add the vat and then a shop margin and what costs 75p quickly becomes £7

Oscillate wildly
    mail me at tredder@gmail.com and i can send a few decent lubes in sample form otherwise try chain-l.Its probably what you are looking for.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Motorex wet lube is very good. I used to use FL wet lube but got sick of it clagging up the chain in most conditions.

The motorex lube is the best winter lube I’ve used, I normally just wash the bike down and wipe the chain with a bit of old towel and it still has plenty of oil on it. Only need to re oil every few rides.

I found it stuck to the chain so well that I had to use neat degreaser to clean the chain rather than the 1:4 fenwicks:water mix that I usually clean the gears with. Neat muc off wouldn’t touch it.

still collects some dust in summer but not as bad as the finish line stuff

peachos
    Free Member

try fenwicks all conditions purple lube. seems pretty good – not as gunky as FL wet, but quite long lasting still.

lowey

Used FL green and hated it, but then learned to wipe it clean after a couple of hours of applying it and its great… the dry stuff is hopeless when it see’s any moisture.

Olly
    Free Member

dry lube, and wax are totally different.

TF dry lube here, and on longer rides accept that you will have to relube mid ride!

MUCH easier and cleaner than wet lubing and having to clean the sod eventually.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

One word, Squirt

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lube like Finish Line Wet lube………’ is closed to new replies.