LTBOR Saturday – so not ready!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LTBOR Saturday – so not ready!
  • jayx2a

So it’s my first London to Brighton attempt on Saturday and I feel so unprepared I think it’s going to be a struggle. Thanks to certain events and a comedy injury my training has not gone well!

Plan. Build up to longer rides starting with 20 miles – TICK!

Not to plan – lower back injury 6 weeks out from event, seemed to take forever to get better but was getting there so went for a short 10 miles to make sure ok which it was.

Then came comedy accident, falling out of storage unit with knee smashing against bike frame. It hurt!

More rest but finally got back on weekend just gone and did 32miles with 3500ft of climbing.

That’s still less than half what I need. Not good!

Worse… I only have my Trek Fuel 29er. Not ideal, should have invested in a HT! Too late to get one now.

So that’s me, on a FS bike, with 6 weeks of training lost trying to do over twice the miles I have ever done.

Oh, what I forgot to add is that a few years ago I suffered from a lung condition called Sarcoidosis and my lungs are permanently scared and run around 75% capacity.

It was always going to be a challenge for me but now I’m worried it might be too much. But hey, it’s paid for so will see how far I can get!

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Pump your rear shock up as hard as it will go, hey presto, you’ve got a softtail and they are all the rage ;P

jayx2a

Ha! It has sort of lockout. Maybe I should run it like that for the entire ride?!

Premier Icon vicksplace
    Subscriber

A vast chunk of it is flat, cruising along the downs link. Take it easy, keep eating and you’ll be fine. Worst case you’ll push up the last hill, but then it’s a nice dh and a cruise along to the finish. I believe in you!

Premier Icon vicksplace
    Subscriber

PS I did it on my full suss too

jayx2a

Purely for personal achievement I want to get to the end whether it’s riding, walking or crawling!

I know it’s an easy ride for some but from being stuck in bed unable to walk a few years ago this will be something for me to reflect on.

pacerc100

You will be fine. It’s actually a pretty easy ride just pace yourself. Once you get to the downslink most of the climbing is done so just keep plodding away for the next pretty flat 30/35 miles ? and then its one last climb really up to the youth hostel on Truleigh hill (10 minute walk up the first steeper bit if needed) and then downhill all the way. I’ve done it on full sussers, hardtails and gravel bikes. Hardtail is probably my preferred but they are all fine. If you’ve got some fast rolling tyres those would be my main preference.

I’m not doing it this year, for probably the first time in 5 years, but may ride the first bit up to the downslink and then head home. I will be on a black S-Works hardtail with my lad on his CX bike so say Hi if you spot us. Bit bored of the downslink to be honest as we have done numerous coast and back rides this year via that route hence not wanting to do the full ride on Saturday.

Main thing is take your time if your concerned over fitness, it’s actually a pretty cool feeling when you get there having ridden from the smoke to the coast mostly offroad.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

As others have said, give yourself plenty of time, eat and drink regularly and take it easy. Also, break the ride up into smaller goals and just aim for the next one.
    The bike will be fine. Your head is the most important tool.
    You can do it!

jayx2a

Well it’s looking warm dry and sunny tomorrow. Ground will be easy going!

Would people recommend a slightly higher tyre pressure?

Rear suspension on mostly lock out I guess when it’s long and flat!

pacerc100

Good luck tomorrow buddy. As for pressure I would run about 40 psi but then I’m old school and don’t do this 20 psi business. I would leave the lock out off, apart from the road bits perhaps, and then see how you feel. Although the downs link is flat pretty much and that’s a big chunk of the ride you may be glad of a bit of squish for comfort especially if you have your tyres quite hard. Should be good tomorrow, the downs link does get a bit muddy in places but should be nice and dry for you. As everyone else said just take your time have plenty to eat and drink and most of all enjoy it, you’ll be fine !.

Report back with how you get on, we need a picture on this thread from the finish !

jayx2a

It’s done! Totally blitzed my longest ride of 32miles!

7 1/2 hours in total, was tough and my there were a couple of times I thought I would not make it.

Didn’t make it up the hill, not many people did. Heat didn’t help.

Well done to the ones that made it up (inc my mate on his gravel bike!). Big respect to them!

Well done jayx2a! Your nervousness was so clear to see in your previous posts, I’m happy for you.
    I’ve just got home myself, that final hill is tough, especially you’ve already been pedaling for 5 or 6 hours

pacerc100

Well done, we said you would make it, we all had faith in you 🙂 .It was nice out today we did a bit of the course on a loop we were riding and it was pretty fast going. Must admit the heat didn’t help and it was a bit blowy in places this morning I thought.

Right then 75 done so it must be the SDW 100 miles next, but maybe a bit more training for that one and no mishaps before hand 🙂

Well done again.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Well done op and the others on here!👍😁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.