Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lower back pain after riding
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

the linger/harder the ride thebmore pain I’m in the next day. Never had this before and I can’t pin it on changing from a full suspension to a hardtail or when I dislocated my shoulder a few months back.

Anyone know now any way to stop or remedy it? My Mrs wants to start yoga so I’m thinking that may help, everything I read is saying it’s because one side of my body is a lot stronger than the other-which makes me think my shoulder is the issue

martymac

Try putting your seat down by a cm or two.

or forward by a cm or two.

this will open up the pelvis, putting less strain on the hamstrings.

very small adjustments can have surprisingly big effects, so go easy, try one thing at a time and keep a record of what you change, so you can reproduce if necessary.

higher bars will have a similar effect.

chevychase

Pilates, not yoga.

You get the stretching, but you also strengthen your core massively, whilst being put to shame by 80 year old women who can balance on one butt cheek with their legs in the air.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigjim

iyengar yoga really helped for me

zerolight
    Free Member

Putting my saddle forwards 5mm and shortening my stem by 10mm helped me. Backpacks are the other common cause.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Brilliant, I’m going out again before work tomorrow. I’ll do as you said and make notes and maybe move my seat forwards a little. I don’t wear a backpack when riding locally so it’s not that so that’s one chalked off.

Cheers as always.

Kryton57

Same here, with no changes to bike setup.  Advice from a Physio was to re realign/stretch tight muscles in my lower back and hamstrings but the good old touch you toes method but using the Pilates version – rolling your spine downward from the neck rather than hinging at the waist – as many times in the days as I can.

Its getting better.

shooterman

I found a dropper post helped my low back enormously. Being able to not sit in the same position for the entire ride I think.

baboonz
    Free Member

Could be a bunch of things, figuring out and fixing your lower back is a bit of a black art.

This is what comes to mind:

1. Bar/stem set up, you are too stretched out or not stretched out enough.

2. Saddle is a few mm too high, the position might seem comfortable, but if someone is cycling behind you they will be able to see you rocking your hips.

3.You are going from attack position to pedalling out of the saddle straight away,  I found this action was putting a big load on my lower back.

4. Your hamstrings are tight, tight hamstrings leads to tight back. Get  a yoga mat, sit and stretch after the post ride shower.

5. You core isn’t strong enough, specifically your abs, since they are your midsection belt.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Check your body position when climbing, thats usually my issue and when I get lower back pain.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Stretch your Psoas muscle…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Znd81ge7I

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Stretch more, stretch lots (or do yoga), get some sports massage to loosen up muscles (IT band is a biggy for cyclists and can make ALL sorts of other things play up, knees, hips, lower back) Couple of sessions will cost £50-80, depending on how good the masseuse is. Get a foam roller and learn/youtube how to use it.

In fact, have a look around and try and find a “cyclists stretching routine” on youtube. I found one a few years ago when my back started playing up and it helped for a while.

d4ddydo666

Lots of types of yoga, some will be more appropriate to your specific needs. I find the more intense stuff is great, or just combine some form of stretching and conditioning (gentle stretch before conditioning – too much or too little risks damaging muscles – big stretch after or at a seperate time). Problems often manifest in a different place to the actual cause – lower back pain can be caused by glutes and hamstrings or shoulders being too tight/weak. The good thing about yoga or pilates is the routine should cover most areas.

Also bike position stuff as above, but if that hasn’t changed then it’s probably muscular.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lower back pain after riding’ is closed to new replies.