Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Low standover height Full Sus frames?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

Just a quick question re: standover height

My “crown jewels” delicately touch the top tube on my medium frame (18″) Boardman full sus and, to be honest, they feel a little vulnerable! It’s not happened yet, but as I get a bit better and more adventurous I can predict an off whereby the proximity of the old fellas to a tube of aluminium will result in a moment of agony!
    With that in mind, and trying to keep a similar sort of reach that I’ve currently got, what frames have a low stand over height?
    I’ve looked at smaller frames, but these come with the trade off of shorter reach. I can obviously combat this with a longer stem – but isn’t that flying in the face of current thinking?
    Would I be better looking at an “old school” 26er frame?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

chakaping
    Free Member

Kona Process have notably good standover.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’re worrying about something that’ll likely never happen. Been MTBing fir nigh on 15 years, had a fair share of stacks and every time I come off I’m nowhere near the top tube. Until it then lands on top of you.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d agree with nobeer, but with the caveat that seat tube length can be an issue for me.

I mean when I can’t physically lower the saddle enough to get my weight in the right position on steep descents.

devash
    Free Member

As above. Unless you are dirt jumping, as long as you can straddle the top tube without crushing the old tool n’ balls there’s very little chance of a nad injury during an off.

Its happened to me only once. I came off once going round a berm when the front tyre let go and clipped a tree. I was riding with flat pedals at the time and the momentum of the crash flung me forward and, due to the front wheel being elevated by the berm, I flew crotch-first into the top tube. Fortunately no serious damage. I have about 3 inches of standover room on my full sus. Fat lot of good it was that day.

cloudnine
    Free Member

deadkenny
    Free Member

Standover clearance is generally irrelevant in mountain biking these days. If necessary just lean the bike on putting a foot down. When not crashing, which will more likely be OTB so head protection is more your concern 😀

dai3015
    Free Member

Okey dokey! I might be being overly cautious about the 2 veg
    I’ll see how we get on.
    Thanks for your comments, really quite like the bike in the pic- tapered or steerer?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Low standover height Full Sus frames?’ is closed to new replies.