Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Low stack height stem's and headsets
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are there any nice, stiff, AM/FR stems that are smaller than the usual 38-40mm stack hights?

Want to buy some Revelations, but the pair I’ve got in mind have a 170mm steerer.

My headtube is 108mm

So the options are either a normal headset (25-30mm stack height) which leaves ~30mm for a stem. Or a Crank Brothers Headset (22mm) and a normal ~40mm stem.

I need a new headset anyway, and CB are cheep on CRC so I could always buy 2 to get arround the inevitable returns. And I’d need a new stem as the current easton Vice is huge!

So recomend me a stem and headset with a total stack height less than 62mm.

honourablegeorge

Sunline stems are v. low stack, on salt at CRC. Ragley stubbing looks v low also.

jam-bo

spank spike are about the lowest.

I ended up going the CB headset route on sale at CRC.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fenred
    Free Member

Superstar Zephir is also pretty low stack height.

tomhoward

+1 on the spank spike.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I did the spank spike / cb headset thing and managed to use a 155mm steerer set of domains on a 456, was well pleased as the set up saved the forks.

I’ve got a similar problem after swapping forks.
    Any alternatives to a CB headset, they don’t sound very reliable, going by the reviews on CRC ?
    I’m currently using a Hope headset without the top cap and O ring, which isn’t ideal, but it’s gained me about 4mm.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a basic loose-ball headset to my Tazer for exactly the same reasons. Cheap, yes – but they do come with basic dust seals so whack a decent amount of quality grease in there and you’re good to go. Stack height is around 22mm and quite a bit cheaper than a Crank Bros.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmmm, thinking about it I reckon I’ll pass up on them as the extra £80+ on headset and stem makes them not so much of a bargain.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes I got the headset for £22 from crc and had the stem already so not too bad .

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Just get a semi integrated HS from Cane Creek – £25 ish for the 10 series cheapo and £50 for the 40 series with twin ACB. Stack heights are 4mm lower + 8mm upper. Still leaves you 50mm which should do just about any stem

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Low stack height stem's and headsets’ is closed to new replies.