Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Low quality Endura clothing
  • tall_martin

I had some gloves that have lasted 2 rides.

A pair of bib shorts and tights are from 1997 and 1999. They are still limping on and should last at least one more winter before being replaced.

Mounty_73

A lot of my old Endura stuff has lasted really well and its been through all conditions, but one or two recent items have fallen apart. I have some new stuff to test and a new jacket on order, so I will see how good it is.

The Endura stuff just fits well and works well too, I feel it can sometimes be a bit hit and miss, but overall its good and its pretty much all I buy these days.

I just dont find their sizing consistent throughout the range.

doomanic

90% of my kit is Endura as it fits me well, doesn’t have big logos and is reasonably priced.

Same here, although I only ever buy in the sale.

My first pair of MT500 Spray shorts had the tape come off at 11 months old, replaced by Tredz, other than that I’ve had no issues but I have avoided the gloves because of what I’ve seen about them online.

sotonkona
    Free Member

Have had a pair of older Singletrack shorts for the last 8 years and have done well over 6k miles in all conditions, whilst the liner needed changing, the shorts themselves are still brilliant. Got given a pair of the latest Forest Green Singletrack 2 shorts last Christmas, did about 2.5k last year in them, again they have been brilliant regardless of how much abuse and washes they have! I’m surprised you’ve had so many issues, especially with the shorts, they seem very durable to me.

steamtb

I’ve had a pair of MT500 shorts that have lasted 8 years and a huge amount of abuse and use! Also had the trousers for a while and more recently, Singletrack trousers, all have been superb and better than more expensive stuff. Clearly a bit hit n miss from some responses but they will remain my go to 🙂

highlandman
    Free Member

I’m another with only positive experiences with literally dozens of items of Endura kit; oldest are probably the Humvee 3/4s that are at least 15 years old and still refuse to die. Old winter tights, newer shorts and liners; an MT500 wind shirt from at least 10 years ago. Everything has been bomber, with perhaps the exception being merino socks not lasting as long as On-one thickies.
    I used to be able to kill kit off remarkably quickly but in recent years have taken better care of it and find that very few things of any brand really disappoint. I’m still riding and running several times a week in all weathers.
    Generally speaking, it’s rare that I’ve none of their gear on when riding.
    The only thing that has been poor in my mind is the performance of an FS-260 lightweight waterproof rain jacket from 6 or 7 years ago; it’s waterproof alright, but breathes as well as a plastic sack, so I always get cold when I wear it in anything other than warm rain. On the other hand I’ve an ancient, slightly heavier E-vent PTFE(ouch!) MTB jacket that breathes fantastically well, the inner face is always dry, even after a tough ride.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Utter junk. Ive got 3 pairs of their shorts and all 3 have shrunk over Christmas.

Liftman

Based in Livingston but most if not all of their gear is manufactured in China

oldfart

Not sure if it’s just Endura I think generally QC on many brands has gone to pot . I’ve been trying to get some waterproof trousers that are actual up to the job . Just sent a pair of Madison’ back after about a month , over £100 not good enough .
    I thought what’s next MT500 ? They are at least £150 , then I read a recent test on them on Bike Radar 2 1/2 out of 5 , zips leaked wetted through after about an hour . BR contacted Endura their response? They said they’ve made their manufacturing process more environmentally friendly which may have reduced the effectiveness of the product !!! They added customers can return them if there’s a problem ? Nah I’ll give them a miss thanks not worth the risk .I contacted them for their take on the review didn’t want to comment 🙄 Yet I’ve got a pair of Singletrack trousers that are at least 10 years old still going strong , bombproof!
    I’ve also resurrected an old pair of Altura waterproof trousers with Nikwax , they aren’t flimsy like the latest versions nice and long in the leg and just as up to the job after a sloppy Quantocks ride today .
    7 Mesh Thunderpants £275 !!!!! 😳😳😳😳😳😳are they any better ? 🤔

ajt123
    Free Member

Shorts have been tip top, gloves don’t last long. I bought some trousers yesterday. Think varies depending on the product

davew1983
    Free Member

Seems as though they have changed their manufacturing and QC process over the years and its had a negative effect, other outdoor companies are the same Alpkit clothing has taken a nose dive over the last few years as some of it is made in China, I know the Pulsar jacket looks amazing for riding in but is not waterproof at all.

MarkE25

Everything that I have had from Endura has fallen apart due to premature failing of the seam stitching. As others have said, there are better options out there imo, so I no longer buy from them.

supernova

Pair of trousers and shorts both had seams fall apart in short order. Don’t buy from them any more.

doglover
    Free Member

Mt500 shorts lasted about 5 years before needing stitching up with seams gone but still ok. Older shorts from them, guess Singletrack, quite heavy duty have lasted way longer. So yep guess older kit may have been better.

didnthurt

You’ll find plenty of threads that slate and also love Endura clothing.

Over the years I’ve bought a fair few items of Endura clothing and the quality and fit has always been all over the place. They are generally a lot cheaper than the equivalent Gore or Giro etc.

My recommendation on cycling clothing is buy top quality stuff in the sales from places like Gore, Rapha, Giro, Stolen Goat, 7mesh etc.
    Or buy better value brands like DHB and Galibier.
    Or buy Altura or Polaris for commuting type clothing.

Sanny
    Free Member

So in the spirit of internet confirmation bias, my experiences were less than stellar.

eVent waterproof three quarters – taped seams went within a few months followed by the face fabric delaminating at the buhoochie. Rode them after that held together with Gorilla Tape.

Thermal bibs – my missus bought three pairs in a row as the first two were not stitched properly. One on the leg seam and one on the bib where there was an inch long hole in the fabric between the outer and the chamois.

Waterproof gloves which leaked through the seams within about 5 mins of heavy rain. When you took them off, the inner fabric pulled out.

Normal riding gloves – fell apart at the seams and the tips within a couple of months of riding.

Three quarter roubaix style bibs where the chamois separated and came away at the stitching after less than a year of light use.

Overshoes – zips broke on all of them despite very little use.

Riding shorts – main zip burst in a few months of riding. Liner chamois compressed down to the point of discomfort within a matter of months.

Windproof jacket with thermal back – washing it saw the back fabric go baggy to the point of it looking like it was being worn by a metal coat hanger.

Merino socks – big wear holes within a couple of months of light wear.

Strangely, I don’t buy any of their stuff anymore. Would I ride them as test kit? Absolutely as brands can and do improve as well as lose their way so as with all tests, you can only go with the experiences you have at the time.

Cheers

Sanny

BadlyWiredDog

Seems as though they have changed their manufacturing and QC process over the years and its had a negative effect, other outdoor companies are the same Alpkit clothing has taken a nose dive over the last few years as some of it is made in China,

The whole ‘it’s rubbish because it’s made in China’ thing is pants. Some of the best technical brands in the world manufacture in China with no issues, Arc’teryx for example. Pretty much every Gore-Tex jacket in the world is made in China or elsewhere in the far east. I don’t know if Alpkit has an issue with reliability, none of the Alpkit stuff I’ve used in the past five years has failed, but if it does, it will be down to a combination of the individual factory, the design and the quality control process, not because ‘some of it is made in China’.

Fwiw, one of the reasons not much top-level technical clothing is made in the UK, apart from cost, is that factories here simply don’t have the high tech machinery and technology available to brands in China and elsewhere.

Superficial
    Free Member

I am waiting for Endura to respond to my warranty query about stitching coming undone on my MT500 trousers (the MT500 shorts that seem to have a very similar construction are fine). It looks as though the stitch material has just worn through – the seams / material are fine. A weird way for it to fail! I keep badgering them, but they haven’t replied usefully except to say “We’re looking into it.” It’s been 2 months so far – Disappointing to say the least.

It’s a shame because the fit / feel is higher quality than most other stuff I’ve used over the years.

chakaping
    Free Member

Weren’t they getting a kicking over QC on here 10 years ago?

The garments I’ve had in recent years have been better than back then TBH.

IdleJon

Weren’t they getting a kicking over QC on here 10 years ago?

Yes, they were. It must be longer than that since I emailed them asking about the mid-layer thermal that I bought (heavily reduced) that was tiny. The reply was that it was a mid-layer compression jersey thing, which makes no sense at all. It then came apart at the seams, because it didn’t seem to be designed to be stretched..

I stopped buying their stuff a long time ago because of all sorts of issues, but in recent years I’ve ended up with a few things:

– 2 pairs of winter gloves, which have the word ‘waterproof’ printed on them. This is purely decorative, as they are not. They are warm, though, until waterlogged.

– various pairs of shorts, where the liner and the outer seem to be assembled of different sized garments for different sized people. The outers get a lot of hard use and are going strong.

– riding trousers, which are doing a decent job. The previous pair split at the crotch, mid-ride but they had a reasonably hard life.

I like the socks. Not many seams to fail, or sizing to cock up. 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Low quality Endura clothing’ is closed to new replies.