Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Low leverage ratio – low compression tune?
  • Rickos
    Free Member

So, having just bought one of those bargainous RP23s from CRC I got thinking about what tune I’ll really need. My bike has 4 inches of travel from 2 inches of shock stroke, so only a 2:1 ratio. Am I right in thinking that a low compression tune would work best/better than medium or high?

Rickos
    Free Member

Anyway, lets try for you week day slackers instead.

Shock turns up with medium compression, but it’s a high volume can. Now, will the HV can sort of help with the medium compression bit? I once tried an RP23 with a low volume can tuned for an Orange 5 on the same frame and it was too harsh.

Me-thinks I’ll be on the phone to LoCo later before I fit it.

khani
    Free Member

My Titus is a 2-1 leverage ratio and came with a low comp tune, and it feels pretty good to me,
    the HV can might help, but it might just blow through the travel on bigger bumps and still feel harsh on repeated hits,
    personally I reckon you’ll end up with a low tune and volume reducer shims in the air can..
    But you’ll have to try it and see,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rickos
    Free Member

Your reply confirms my suspicions…

khani
    Free Member

My Titus is a low volume can btw, it’s a pre On one version with the factory tuned rp23 and it feels spot on..
    Personally I think HV cans are a waste of time on 99% of bikes…

Superficial
    Free Member

They do different things. You shouldn’t need compression damping to slow your shock down/ prevent it from blowing through its travel. Your leverage ratio is offset by the shock volume and pressure, not the comp tune.

Whereas the leverage curve which affects the pedal bob and feel of the suspension can be affected by the compression tune (and rebound, sort of). One bike with a 2:1 ratio could ride very differently to another bike with a 2:1 ratio.

LoCo
    Free Member

With a Custom tune, you’ll take into account the bikes linkage/rear suspension design works through it’s travel,
    the riders weight,
    and with the shock the compression, rebound, gas pressure and air spring volume, even within the compression system there can be several different circuits that will have a bearing on the performance of the shock and how they relate to all the other settings of the damper before you even take the other factors into account 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

My bike has a 3:1 ratio, my fox shock really could not cope. I changed it to a CCDB.

Call loco

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Low leverage ratio – low compression tune?’ is closed to new replies.