Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Low level whinging
  • Harry_the_Spider

1. Don’t CC a load of people into an email to show how clever / important you think you are.

z1ppy
    Free Member

2. Don’t tell everyone on point #1 type email how you worked together with X & Y to get the job done… when you were just a gofer for X & Y, who don’t need any help to do their jobs.

jekkyl

as per my previous email.
    Please find attached.

andybrad

Stop whinging about people ccing others in after you’ve done a shit job at work.

jimmy

Hi Team,

My thoughts match yours, nothing to add.

Best,

Jimmy

joshvegas
    Free Member

Thankyou for your email, it was both long and unnecessary. I understand that you are a lawyer and are probably paid by the word please see my replies in red.

Actually, upon reading the first sentiecne you clearly have no idea what you are talking about so leave the technical stuff to those in the know and **** the **** off you smart arsed ****.

The email reply I would like to send

tomhoward

1. Don’t CC a load of people into an email to show how clever / important you think you are.

This is my absolute favourite thing as, more often than not, the whinger will be wrong. I take great delight in replying, telling them and all the people they CC’d, how they are wrong.

Once had a customer kicking off that I hadn’t included a bit of data in a spreadsheet, he copied his boss in, who rang up to give me what for. I explained to him that the data was there, and talked him through it.

He replied to his colleague ‘if you look at the spreadsheet again, with your eyes, you will see that Tom has done as asked’

😂

jimdubleyou

He replied to his colleague ‘if you look at the spreadsheet again, with your eyes, you will see that Tom has done as asked’

New keyboard please, that’s a classic.

multi21
    Free Member

tomhoward

This is my absolute favourite thing as, more often than not, the whinger will be wrong. I take great delight in replying, telling them and all the people they CC’d, how they are wrong.

Yeah that’s great.

My favourite is when a customer CCs my boss, their boss and a number of colleagues when they think we’ve **** up. Then when they realise it’s actually their fault, the CCs mysteriously disappear and it just goes to me. Oh no wait I’ve just CC’d everyone back on so they know it was your mistake, oopsie 😇

jekkyl

Julie if you could co-ordinate with Steph on this one and then report back to me. Bob and his team are available for support if you need it.

crazy-legs

Single line (internal) emails:
    have you done X?
    what’s the update on Y?
    can you send me the link for Z?

that would all be far better managed as a chat on Teams.

My boss does this. cc’s her deputy (so she’s “sighted”), asks me a one-line question and then, if I don’t reply within an hour or so, follows it up with a second email, again cc’ing her deputy and asking if I got the first email.
    Her email management is appalling.

JAG

It’s all a bit passive-aggressive for me :o)

johnx2
    Free Member

I’m going to start somewhere in the middle because that’s what’s mainly occupying my thoughts. I’m going to break down the argument into:
    1. numbered bullet points
    – with indentations to covey their hierarchy in my mind
    – probably with a few spurious ones for visual balance
    2. and no apparent logic, but it breaks the text up nicely.

And after a few paragraphs of this I may, but may not, meander my way towards a question hidden possibly somewhere in the middle of a paragraph, or perhaps right at the end of the email it’s your job to find it after all, asking for your advice or even decision on something – either way my back is now well covered whether you find my point or not.

And then I’ll round it off with something platitudinous. All good for you?

LimboJimbo

Senior people in an organisation that are obviously far too busy and important to use salutation or punctuation in an email.

The same people who spend Teams meetings on mute, clearly doing something else, only to interrupt someone to ask a stupid question the rest of us covered five minutes ago.

Harry_the_Spider

Replying to an email with a question about a different project, but not changing the Subject field. Then whinging to your CC audience that the matter has not been dealt with.

Alex

I want to retire so I can just leave my auto-responder on

“Alex is not replying to emails as he’s spending a year dead for tax reasons’

If it’s good enough for Hotblack Desiato, it’s good enough for me.

Cougar

Single line (internal) emails:

Single line (external) emails, followed by two screenfuls of quasi-legal bollocks in the auto-attached footer.

reluctantlondoner

Hotblack Desiato – that explains why the service from them (Estate Agents, Islington) is soooo horrifying bad. 😉

myopic
    Free Member

Any email that starts ‘Friendly reminder’ or ‘Gentle reminder’ when there’s still a month left till the deadline
    Usually sent by someone who never seems to do anything other than send ‘Friendly Reminders’

jekkyl

Bob, there are 2 new starters on Nick’s team. Could you organise some training on the Manchester systems so that they are operational by mid august?, they’ll need sign off by w/c 15th. That’d be great thanks. Any problems let Julie know by the 10th please.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I have been “accused” of writing “short terse” email responses by a client… i pointed out you pay me by the hour, if you want fluffy bollocks i am happy to charge (note – maintained my short terse approach)

Harry_the_Spider

Polite Reminder!

Usually read with a less than polite “Oh do **** off” muttered under your breath.

johnx2
    Free Member

“short terse” email response

tautology

theotherjonv

People who don’t understand why there’s a To and a CC field.

If you want me to do something, send it to me and even better make your request (not an Ask, btw) clear.

If you CC me, chances are I won’t read it until I’ve dealt with all the To emails and all the other stuff I need to do. If at all, as I assume you’re just copying me in ‘for info’

molgrips

Currently on a classic megathread at work. We sell software, our partner is implementing a system for their customer using our software. The partner has only a very basic grasp of how to use the software, and is trying to roll out a huge programme with massive workloads in a very large country. They can’t figure out how to work the platform on which our software runs, and they have made a pig’s ear of their app that runs on our software. And yet, the boss at the partner is sending daily anguished emails complaining that his reputation is at stake and we need to fix it straight away. No mate, sorry, we’re not responsible for your lack of skills no matter how upset you get.

jekkyl

Footer: Advance warning of Holiday 25/07/2022 – 08/08/2022. Anything Urgent please email Caroline.

rogermoore

Emails from external consultants, asking for information they need from you to report back to your own management.
    RM.

Cougar

boss at the partner is sending daily anguished emails complaining that his reputation is at stake and we need to fix it straight away. No mate, sorry, we’re not responsible for your lack of skills no matter how upset you get.

Oh, if I had a pound for every ‘please drop everything, I need your help urgently’ email which is only urgent now because the sender has sat on it doing **** all for a fortnight…

spookypeppe
    Free Member

The best email response I’ve seen in some time covers many of the issues in this thread.

“Poor planning on your behalf does not equate to urgency on mine”

Shame he’s retired now.

ossify

fluffy bollocks

Really not what you want in this hot weather.

Clients who email about your software “the program is not working”.

When you ask for more details: “I can’t send emails it gives an error message”

When you politely ask (through gritted teeth) for what the error message actually says: “it’s unable to send the emails”

Please send me a (****) screenshot: “Outlook does not recognise the user account, please make sure you’re logged in”

I know this is really technical and hard to figure out, but you need to go to Outlook and log in again. It’s nothing to do with me, my software is not ‘crashing’, and no I have no idea why Outlook would log you out randomly.

My boss does the same thing: I’ll get an email “feature X is not working, can you fix it?”
    Aargh you are a software developer yourself, a little more info would be great! Do you want me to spend half an hour debugging just to find and recreate the error, which only shows up under specific conditions?

crazy-legs

Please send me a (****) screenshot: “Outlook does not recognise the user account, please make sure you’re logged in”

The staggering lack of IT literacy among many (most?) people in offices never ceases to amaze me.
    We have a really good remote working environment and IT backup, we’re all on decent new-ish kit, Windows 10 etc, easily fast enough to cope with Teams, SharePoint and so on. But one person having to log in again will often involve a dozen panicked calls to IT.

And yet people still email files across to each other, ask for edits then wonder why there are 5 different versions each one containing edits from a different person.

The company recently bought (on the insistence of one person who’d used it before and thought it was wonderful) some meeting management and report writing software which is terrible. 15-20 years ago it was probably OK but in a fast-paced collaborative working environment, it is akin to a student handing a teacher a piece of homework and getting it back a week later – you simply cannot do shared working. Teams / SharePoint addresses all these issue, we used it before…and now we’ve gone backwards by a decade. 🙄

nickc

The NHS:

Please fill out the 40 page document with evidence. policies, training, written submission etc etc, please submit compliance of safeguarding within 30 days, with a not so gentle rejoinder that it a legal requirement. From an local  organisation that itself hasn’t thus far, appointed a safeguarding lead: a legal requirement…

excellent continuity of care…trebles all round

nickc

The staggering lack of IT literacy among many (most?) people in offices never ceases to amaze me

You reap what you sow, The decision way back in the dim and distance past to make desktops “easy to use” with a graphical interface for the end user made the bed in which we all now lie, blame Xerox if you want, but this was the pact made with the devil to shift units. They only have themselves to blame.

Sandwich

You reap what you sow, The decision way back in the dim and distance past to make desktops “easy to use” with a graphical interface for the end user made the bed in which we all now lie, blame Xerox if you want, but this was the pact made with the devil to shift units. They only have themselves to blame.

Anything that requires use of the command line to implement and powershell is not easy to use. I’m looking at you Exchange and your third party domain implementation.

jekkyl

This is your life and it’s ending one email at a time.
    CC: everyone.

molgrips

You reap what you sow, The decision way back in the dim and distance past to make desktops “easy to use” with a graphical interface for the end user made the bed in which we all now lie

I disagree (of course! 🙂 ) The user-friendliness of computers was and is necessary to enable most people to use them, and most people should be using them.

The problem as I see it is rubbish IT education. People throw words around like app, server, internet, cloud, sync, backup and so on but no-one’s ever properly explained to them what these things mean. It’s the same with technical and semi-technical roles. People don’t really understand terms like high availability, disaster recovery and so on.

The big problem is that some of them don’t listen to the people who do understand.

IHN

Ah, the good old…

collaborative working environment

… which means, instead of the shared drive we used to use to store documentation, we can now scatter it liberally across Sharepoint, MS Teams teams, channels within MS Teams MS Teams chats, Confluence pages, Jira pages, attachments to Confluence pages, attachments to Jira pages, links to Confluence pages from MS Teams channels, links to MS Teams channels from Jira pages, attachments to Jira pages, sub-pages in Jira andonandonandonandonandon

We used to have the electronic equivalent of a filing cabinet, now we have the electronic equivalent of a barn where documentation is deposited and distributed via a leafblower…

Dickyboy

Subject heading: Re *****

Our whole business is ***** now I’ve got to try & work out which bloody ***** out of the 100’s of current ones you are on about 😡

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

O365 hater…

thepurist

People don’t really understand terms like high availability, disaster recovery and so on.

Not only that, but if they do get a problem they don’t bother reading what’s in the error message that someone has carefully selected to display to them, nor do they bother trying to recall exactly what they were doing at the time or even explain what the issue actually is. Back in uni days I worked for Ford supporting their “new” Wang PCs and people would just phone and say “My Wang won’t work” leaving a game of 20 questions to establish which bit of it actually wasn’t working – roll on almost 4 decades and you still get people saying “This spreadsheet isn’t calculating properly” without bothering to say which of the many cells on the many tabs is actually causing their issue.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

Metal Shaping for Beginners: Refini...
Singletrack Video Archive: Metal Shaping for Beginners: Refining the shape of the fender