Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Low energy spotlights
  • footflaps

Anyone got any experience with low energy spotlights eg R63 style?

Been looking at these but wondered if they were as effective as a normal spot light….

conkerman
    Free Member

I have GU10 fluoros they are pretty good.

May or may not be of help.

footflaps

I think they are for Halogen (as a replacement) rather than normal incandescent bulbs?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Played with the Gu10s a bit – very diffuse compared to the original spot versions (most of them quote beam angles around 100° rather than the 20 or 30° of a normal mains or lovo dichroic). Fine if what you want to light is up close. Not if its more than a couple of ft away.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dunno what that size is. I’m gonna get some LED ones to replace the small 2 pin bulb things (ie no built in reflector) in my cooker hood.

phiiiiil

I keep thinking about replacing the three GU10s in our kitchen with low energy ones… but at around £5 each the initial cost seems a lot to make back!

ken_shields
    Free Member

I tried the GU10 LED replacements in our downstairs shower and they were utter shite. Made the room very dull

I would be wary of replacing all the lights in the kitchen unless you fancy cooking in the dark

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but just because you bought crappy energy savers, doens’t mean all energy savers are bad.

We got some GU10 CFLs but they aren’t good – they take an age to warm up but are very bright when they do. There are superbright LED ones with a single LED that are dead bright, but they’re really expensive. The ones with multiple LEDs in are rubbish ken, you should’ve checked the package before you bought cos it tells you how dim they are 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

I use 6 multiple LED ones in a medium sized bedroom – a bit on the dim side but that’s fine for a bedroom. Wouldn’t bother with anything like that in the kitchen until the price of the better LED ones comes right down.

spooky_b329

I’ve got GU10 energy savers in my kitchen, 6 in a room 3m x 1.6m.

Dim when you first switch them on but after a couple of minutes its bright as day in there 🙂 They get warm but not burning hot like traditional spots.

I got them from B&Q, green box, about £10 for a set of 3.

oldgit
    Free Member

Not had any direct experience of these, but Megamans are generaly very good.
    Most manufacturers are moving away from R63 fittings so new lamp technology for these is going to be short in coming.

I’m testing some single LEDs in my GU10 downlights the brightness is good (it should be at £15-£23)but the harsh LED light is not to my liking.
    The new generation 11W low energy GU10 lamps are proving to be very good.

footflaps

My house is full of R63 spot lights, put about 15 of them in when I rewired it 8 years ago.

I suspect that more bulbs will appear once they phase out incandescent bulbs as there must be millions of fittings out there, all needing new bulbs at some point.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’m thinking of switching to candles.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Low energy spotlights’ is closed to new replies.