Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Low carb/Paleo vegetarian diet?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Fast ones, obv.

_tom_
    Free Member

samuri, that’s why a cyclical keto diet is great. <20g carbs per day in the week then you can pretty much eat what you like (sensibly, obviously) at the weekend. To me this seems very sustainable, it just takes a bit extra planning/prep to make salads or bake low carb almond/flax bread for lunches at work. Also, based on my friends experience, the weight doesn’t go back on when you hit your target weight and go back to eating carbs again, so long as you don’t go back to pigging out every day..

The only thing I’m missing is the convenience of being able to just grab a sandwich or something from the shops if I’m in a rush. Besides, what’s not to love about cooking up a big steak or some bacon and eggs loaded with cheese and still be burning excess fat?!

I don’t think cutting out carbs this severely is entirely necessary (I lost about 11 stone without cutting carbs) but it can help shift stubborn fat or overcome a plateau I reckon.

molgrips
    Free Member

The good thing about low GI is that you can still eat a brown bread sandwich if you find yourself in a pinch.

However, when travelling I eat eggs and meat for breakfast so I can fairly easily go without lunch altogether 🙂

ChrisS
    Free Member

I read this recently:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/a-guide-to-flexible-dieting

and it pretty much echos what samurai said. Makes a lot of sense to me.

stevehine

To add my 2p worth – I’ve been Low/zero carbs for a while now; having reached the tipping point to try something new when I hit 15.5 stone. It’s surprisingly easy to stick to once you’ve got past the initial ‘but I live off carbs’ thought out of your head. Not veggie based (I imagine that’d be much harder) – the trick is to replace the carbs with other sources of energy (predominantly fat) rather than simply removing them.

I’m now down to 11st10; eat whenever I feel hungry and don’t sweat over the occasional sandwich should the need arise. Also, you can’t beat scrambled eggs with chorizo and cheese for breakfast 🙂

ChrisS
    Free Member

So by “Low/zero carbs” do you mean no veggies, legumes, salad, fruit etc? Or just no grains, sugar etc?

klumpy
    Free Member

I like pie.

stevehine

@ChrisS

I don’t specifically avoid veg (as long as it’s not starchy of course) ; but steer clear of legumes; salad and fruit.

I’m sure it’d scare the hell out of most doctors….

molgrips
    Free Member

So hang on.. no root veg, fair enough, but no salad? Leaves have carbs?

I’m sure it’d scare the hell out of most doctors….

Yeah, on YOUR behalf!

stevehine

@Molgrips

I was specifically thinking of things like tomatoes I guess; As in “having a salad” – leaves are fine; but I prefer to have warm ones; like cabbage or spinach alongside whatever else I’m eating 🙂

Sure it goes against the grain; but I feel great; have plenty of energy and I do eat a large amount of non-root veg.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Lettuce appears to be 67% carbs:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2475/2

Not that that means much in absolute terms.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Sweetcorn is a “non-root” veg, 80% carbs, 29g carbs per 154g serving.

This is all so confusing. 🙄

ChrisS
    Free Member

Sure it goes against the grain

ba boom, tschhh. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Lettuce appears to be 67% carbs

Careful. 67% of its calories are from carbs, but it says:

Serving size 6g, total calories 1 (yes, ONE) which makes that 0.67 kcal from carbs, which I make to be 0.17g of carbs. Not a lot 🙂

Sweetcorn is a man-made freak, it’s been bred to have as much fructose as possible, so not good for dieters.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Indeed – thats why I wrote

Not that that means much in absolute terms.

Sweet corn on the other hand….

stevehine

@ChrisS

If your interested in this at all (I’m assuming you are..) I’d recommend reading the Gary Taubes book “Why we Get Fat and what to do about it” – It makes some interesting points and backs up a lot of it’s material with reference to actual scientific studies.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Thanks.

I read his “Why we get fat and what to do about it” a while ago. It is interesting stuff. I’ve also read some of the paleo stuff, the 4HB book and the Lean Gains stuff. All differ in the details, but seem to have common threads running through them. Currently reading “Racing Weight” which has yet another, slightly different, take on things.

I think the key is to find an approach that is sustainable and enjoyable, rather than being too hung up on finding the “one true lifestyle”.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Low carb/Paleo vegetarian diet?’ is closed to new replies.