Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Low and slack tiny hardtail frames . . .
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

. . . and the moon on a stick please.

Still searching for something to replace the lovely Uzzi that I can run my Lyriks up front on. Really can’t afford any more ‘trial and error’ builds when the plan was to reduce the Uzzi debt not add to it 🙄 . 456 Summer Season fits the bill best so far but anything else similar out there, 14-15″ seat tube max?

This week I have mostly been building up a rather nice Cove Handjob frame but even with the Lyriks at 120mm (and yeah, I realize that perhaps they’re not the ideal forks for a HJ) it felt waay too long and high with zero standover clearance, so was stripped right back down again and will be listed on ‘you know where’ later today. Earlier this month I built up a little Kona DJ frame which again felt like I was perched on top of it.

Bike building is not fun any more. Help me out please.

jedi

i like the transition double 3-4 in travel in short its tiny but would be a great do anything bike. ok but not a hardtail……. 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Always fancied one of those Jedi but I think that would end up increasing my debt . . . one day, one day.

CheesybeanZ

Hi Mama

Spent forever looking for a hardtail frame so def sympathise with
    Your frustrations! Funnily enough I have a 14″ summer season and
    A Ti 456 which fit great. Along the way I looked at an XS Cotic BFE,
    Orange P7, and Kona Kula – all similar sizing to the On Ones – may
    Be worth a look?

MrsBeanZ

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Xs hx1?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Cheers both – I’d forgotten about the P7 and the Chumba looks great in XS 8)

Hmmmm, low and slack 😛

mamadirt
    Free Member

Tempted by an Evil Sovereign too. What’s the b/b height like folks?

_tom_
    Free Member

Charge Blenders are a 15″ seat tube I think and have a short top tube, something like 21.6″. I still want one even though I know how impractical it’d be for anything other than DJ and a bit of downhill. They look well nice

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Dialled alpine? The 16″ looks pretty small

tazzymtb

have a look for an old voodoo shango, they were ace and they did a dinky Size

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d love a Blender – reckon it’d be a riot. Shame I missed out – Evans had one of those lovely galvanised frames for £199 a couple of weeks ago. Been looking at the Alpine on the Dialled site but I think the seat tube is a tad too high for me (just 4″ of seatpost showing on my 15″ Uzzi) 😕 Wonder how the Holeshot would handle 130mm up front.

Oooh that Shango looks good.

chiefgrooveguru

So what happened to that cute little 456SS?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

stanton slackline too costly?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nukeproof Snap?

woody2000
    GW
    Free Member

how slack do you want it mama? and what’s it gonna be for?

remember the old DDG shooter? the one Identity also sold (for 3X the price)? those were stupidly slack (for the time), I had one for a v.short while (broke it, entirely my fault tho) I had to reduce my fork to 80mm to bring it in to a reasonable steepness for DJ.

GW
    Free Member

too costly?

Too Fugly moe like, that thing’s a GATE!!

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of mates with mythic amp’s. They recon there the bees knees, and ride them like possessed demons! I personally recon the head angle looks a tad steep and will stick to my altitude. Great frame shite cable routing!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What the…. 😯

Still searching for something to replace the lovely Uzzi

Thyat you yourself said to me, and I quote:

‘It’s a keeper’.

😐

Quite why I was stupid enough to believe that, I do not know…

(Walks off shaking head in despair…)

mamadirt
    Free Member

It is a keeper Elf . . . or rather it should be . . . damn pay cuts 😡 . I love it to bits. Wanna buy it? 😛

The little 456? Lovely, lovely little bike . . . but couldn’t afford to keep them both. Still there are a couple more in stock if the Uzzi sells . . . just wondering what else there is out there similar. My Uzzi feels slack even with the forks wound down to 140mm, bottom bracket height is super-low even with the forks wound out – pretty damn perfect do-it-all bike . . . at a price. It’s gonna be a hard act to follow.

Slackline would be waaay too big for me. I guess my best bet would be a tiny DJ bike but with a super-low b/b so that it’s not too jacked up with the Lyriks up front (I need the skill compensation 😕 ).

Nukeproof Snap is on the list but I think ideally I’d like steel. Mythic Amp looks nice.

solamanda
    Free Member

Wonder how the Holeshot would handle 130mm up front.

I’d imagine the new one would ride well like that. I’ve got the ‘old’ model with 120mm forks (running them pretty stiff so probably same ride height as 130mm)

mamadirt
    Free Member

Cheers Sol. Loving the look of the new white Holeshot and numbers on the short frame look spot on for me too.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Oh yea, there’s the yeti dj to. No steel to add to the list I’m afraid.

br
    Free Member

But the 456SS was design for 100mm forks?

And that Chumba looks like a Halfords ladies BSO…

Just get a normal 456/Ti/Carbon.

mamadirt
    Free Member

b r – Member

But the 456SS was design for 100mm forks?

No it was designed to accept 100-160mm forks and my build absolutely rocked with Lyriks up front. I need something that feels slack at 120ish but capable of handling 140-150 for dh and drops (I need the skill compensation cos I’m a wimp) – standard 456, BFe, LT hardtails just feel too long/steep – trust me I’ve tried.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mama; have you eve considered having a custom steel hardtail made for you? With all the features you want?

Or is that a crazy idea? 😕

Your Uzzi is too small, too mental and too spensive for me I’m afraid. 🙁

toys19
    Free Member

Bfe too long? Wow.
    I’m flogging mine, if anyone wants an xs in Gritstone…

mamadirt
    Free Member

I think it’s the angles which make it feel long Toys. Reckon I think too much 😕 .

Elf it’d be perfect for you – spot on for all those stairs in that Lahndahn 😆

GW
    Free Member

BFe’s are too long.. it’s the length that does it tho Mama, not the angles 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pft. I don’t need a full-suss for stairs. I take them with ease on me HT. 😀

Frightened some people yesterday actually. I think they thought I was going to crash and die. One of the women squealed. Not an unusual reaction tbh. 8)

Please don’t encourage Mama though, people. It’s not funny; her neighbours’ childrens’ kidneys aren’t safe, with her addiction being so serious. 😐

mamadirt
    Free Member

😆

Well it’s been relisted for the final time now so if it doesn’t sell this week I’ll just shut up and ride (gotta be another year’s worth of wear in them old ripped jeans 😆 ).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mama, I will buy you some new jeans.

Please. Those children need their internal organs. 😐

Mugboo

456SS was ideally meant for 130mm forks.

I’m sure it’s capable of handling longer forks though 🙂

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Have a look at Sanderson or Flow bikes. Tony from Indepentdent had a one off 14″ Sanderson Life frame made for Kate (Betts, lodge cycles) and she loves it so much that she sold her FS bike.
    The Blitz frame may well be available in 15″ and it’s real slack with a Pike fitted. Nice steep seat angle too. Makes for a good pedally descender.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Damn, damn, damn, cheers for all the replies folks . . . but I can’t let the Uzzi go. Please feel free to ignore any subsequent ‘what hardtail for my Lyriks?’ posts 🙄 I guess the perfect frame for my Lyriks is sitting right next to me. Now, who wants to buy a lovely pair of well-ventilated jeans . . . one carefuly lady owner 😉

DT78
    Free Member

Dmr sidekick with uturn pikes. Lots of fun.

ART

So mama did you build the ss456 up in the end? (sorry if I’m not keeping up 😉 ) just cause that frame stays slack with the forks wound in – and then goes slacktastic when wound out – which sounds like what you want? My similar mission to yours has me on the straight 456 at the moment, but am quite tempted by the Ti version … and possibly toys19’s Xs Bfe 🙂 Did also consider the Dialled Alpine – but was looking at the original versions with the shorter 21″ ish IIRC top tube option. Unfortunately I dithered too long when they were being sold off a few years back and the updated versions are all too long.. darn it. No thanks to those jeans 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yes I did ART and I loved it, and yes, your description is spot on. If I have a spare couple of hundred £s in the near future I’d definitely get another but for the time being I just can’t bring myself to sell the Uzzi to fund another build on a whim. I tried an XS BFe which pedalled great at 130ish but I found with my forks wound out I was still coming down front-heavy on little drops – whether it was a touch too long or less slack than I’d been used to I don’t know but I’m only small so skill compensation seems a lot more useful than weight distribution 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

lovely pair of well-ventilated jeans

Winter’s coming, love. 😐

Incorrigible. She’d be naked before she stopped buying tiny bikes. 😳

toys19
    Free Member

Art,
    mail me if you are interested in the bfe, I’m about to strip and put it on here/ebay/bikeradar.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Low and slack tiny hardtail frames . . .’ is closed to new replies.