Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Low Alchohol Beers – What Is Good?
  • benz
    Free Member

I’m reducing my alcohol intake, but do really still like the taste of beer.

Fav low alchol beers so far:

Adnams Ghost Ship
    Brewdog Nanny State
    Franziskaner
    Pistonhead Flat Tire

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

weeksy

Czech from Sains, then Becks BLue….. Nanny state is horrific to me, as was Ghost Ship.

bazzer
    Free Member

Erdinger is one of my favourites

Nanny state is a bit hoppy for me.

Big surprise for me was the 0% Heineken, I loath real beers like that, however it does not have as much of the funny low alcohol taste a lot of them have.

Becks Blue is horrible !!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    benz
    Free Member

For me, Becks Blue was ‘minging’. Erdinger not doing it for me either. However, we all have different tastes.

Supposedly M&S Czech is pretty decent, but our local M&S never has any in stock 🙁

scotroutes
    zippykona

I had to alcohol free Peroni and it was really tasty.

I tried Nanny Sate and hated it – just made me more desperate for a real beer.

I quiet like Heineken 0 – Probably because Heineken tastes like crap anyway, so it doesn’t disappoint.

Nico
    Free Member

What Bazzer said.

Becks Blue is what gives low-alcohol beers a bad name. It really boils my goat when it is the only choice in a restaurant and I end up paying £4 for it.

Nanny State is too hoppy without alcohol.

Franzischkaner is good, Erdinger best. The strong wheat-beer flavour makes up for the lack of alcohol flavour.

I’ll try 0% Heineken.

hooli

Adnams, Nanny state, Erdinger and Heineken are all decent, I’d rather have a lime and soda or a diet coke if they only have Becks Blue.

theotherjonv

Franziskaner and Erdinger are both acceptable to me. Heineken surprisingly good, as long as it’s chilled properly – I can neck two like water after a hot summer ride.

Nanny State is OK but a bit too hoppy for my tastes. St Peter’s Without, too malty but others will have different tastes.

Becks Blue is universally minging.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Heineken 0% and Erdinger are the best I’ve tried, they both taste horrible if you have one after a real beer though 🙂

jimdubleyou

Adnams Ghost Ship

I thought, hang on a sec, 4.5% is low alcohol?!? Then realised from their website they’ve started doing a 0.5% version. I had no idea, but I quite like Ghost Ship normally so will have a go on that.

Flat Tyre is my go to at the moment, unless I’m having something to eat that Nanny State will go with.

For lower alcohol (not alcohol free), the Siren Half-Mast is a very enjoyable pint at 2.8% but I think it might be seasonal.

theotherjonv

Heineken 0% and Erdinger are the best I’ve tried, they both taste horrible if you have one after a real beer though

If you ‘have’ to have a pint first, drink half and then top up with the bottle of Heineken, and keep topping up to gradually migrate the taste over.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I quite like Becks blue, it’s not too dissimilar to the Heineken one.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Erdinger and Free Damm get my vote.

Heineken and Bud ones are OK and not offensive.

Found the alcohol free Old Speckled Hen last week. Chucked most of it down the sink. It was vile and should not be allowed to be sold under the same name as the alcoholic version. It wasn’t even anything like it, never mind close.

And avoid St Peters Without – looks like a medicine bottle and tastes like it should be in one.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Big drop do a variety of stuff, including a low abv stout which is actually pretty good.

ransos
    Free Member

^this. Big Drop is the only one I’ve tried where it wasn’t immediately obvious that it was alcohol free. The stout was my favourite, pale ale also good. Franziskaner is refreshing on a hot day.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Franzischkaner is good, Erdinger best. The strong wheat-beer flavour makes up for the lack of alcohol flavour.

And whatever Lidls brand is called is OK as well, with the added benefit of being only 59p a bottle…

Wiksey
    Free Member

The Budweiser Prohibition tastes pretty similar to the standard Bud.
    Beerwulf has a few good ones to try and they do an alcohol free pack which i got back in January, one was really nice but I can’t for the life of me remember which one it was.

MoreCashThanDash

I quite like low alcohol Cobra. I’ve not tried it yet but Thornbridge do a “Big Easy” which if it’s half as good as their other stuff should be rather nice

sarawak
    Free Member

Inside the Factory and Gregg Wallace are brewing beer on BEEB2.

mattstreet

Had a Thornbridge Big Easy not long back. At 0.5% thought it was perfectly decent.

ads678
    CountZero

Inside the Factory and Gregg Wallace are brewing beer on BEEB2.

Factory indeed – brewing Carling! 🤮
    The porter brewed at the Wild Card Brewery looked interesting, though…
    Susan Calman (?) was on Orkney visiting a brewery, and they do a beer, Dark Isle Reserve, which is matured in whiskey barrels. It’s 10% ABV…🤪

tuboflard

Had a Thornbridge Big Easy not long back. At 0.5% thought it was perfectly decent.

Big Easy is very good indeed. They were giving it away as a free pint at the end of the Round Sheffield Run last year. I’d happily have it in place of a “normal” beer though not sure how readily available it is.

honeybadgerx

M&S have been doing quite a nice 0.5% bitter that you genuinely couldn’t tell was low alcohol, can;t remember the name but sure you’d find it if you looked. 500ml bottle.

donkeysled

Had a quick Ghost Ship 0% in the local and we spent the whole time commenting on how nice it was and finally found a decent pint that tastes like a normal pint

dannybgoode

If you are prepared to spend a bit of money Nirvana beers are sensational. Heiniken is drinkable and Budweiser 0 is nicer than the alcohol versions.

The Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference alcohol free red and white wine are surprisingly good too if you want a change.

Ending et is ok and Lidl often do an alcohol free wheat beer which I really like. Thornbridge brewery do a good one too.

Me and Mrs D have been off the sauce for 7 months now and really don’t feel we’ve been missing out. We enjoy a good 0% beer almost as much as a full fat one.

toby1

Infinite session pale is decent too, as is the Big drop Milk stout mentioned above.

Kryton57

Not low alchohol but has anyone had any of the revived low carb Michelhob recently?  Just wondering if it’s improved to a level just above water.

Nobby

Sorry for the thread resurrection but I see Brewdog now do an alcohol free Punk IPA. Anyone tried it yet?

Didn’t get on with Nanny State so just curious as to whether this is still Punk-like or not.

https://www.brewdog.com/punk-af-can

weeksy

Heineken, meh.

I’m struggling to be honest now you can’t get the Sainsbury’s Czech. Beck’s Blue is about as good as I’ve found.

I had hope with Peroni, bloody awful.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The big drop range is decent I agree.

Over here in Sweden I can get Mikkleler weird weather which is , i think, as good as low alcohol beer gets. I really rate it. Hazy IPA type thing. i’m sure you can get it in the UK

Brooklyn do a decent one too Special Effects I think it is called. Very popular over here, more trad. lager style.

I hardly ever drink now, really happy with these, low calorie. clear head for cycling and kids at the weekend .

mattbee

I’m halfway through a can of the Brewdog Punk AF as I type.

It’s ok. Better than Nanny State. Not as nice as FreeDamm which is my ‘go to’ alcohol free beer.

leffeboy

I’ve just had a Leffe 0% – was ok but won’t rush for another.

bodgy
    Free Member

Another vote for the Peroni.

wait4me

Invest in Brewdog indeed! £5.10 for 4 cans of alcohol free. Ouch.

I can just about handle the £1 a can for my favourite Pistonhead Flat Tire.

flange
    Free Member

Moretti zero for me, love the stuff. Prefer it to normal beers now

jp-t853

Big fan of Adnams Ghost Ship here but my favorite is their slightly stronger Sole Star which is <0.9%
    I no longer bother with full strength beers, it is great that they have come on so much

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’m now heading for the FreeDamm as my regular too. Especially now the local Sainsburys stocks it 🙂
    And finally got my hands on a bottle of the Ghost Ship, was a pretty good effort that I’d happily have again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Low Alchohol Beers – What Is Good?’ is closed to new replies.